• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sam Burgess: individual egos and selfish players cost England at World Cup

Sounds like the Fords then. Tbh if his comments about 'individual ego' and 'own agendas' refer to Mike Ford playing him at 6 rather than 12 then it's very harsh from Sam. Even if you disagree with the decision (personally I think he was better suited to 6 - 'phenomenal' at 12 is a massive stretch by Goode) you really can't criticise a coach for playing one of his players in the position he thinks he's best in.

I've seen people saying that Mike didn't want Burgess to look good at 12 to protect George's spot in the England squad, but that doesn't seem right to me. The argument would carry much more weight if it was a choice between Farrell + Burgess or Ford + Farrell but I don't recall that being seriously considered at the time, it was a straight shoot out between Ford and Faz at 10. In any case, if MF's agenda was to keep GF in the England squad then surely the incentive would be to build a solid partnership between him and Burgess?

Would also be more than a touch arrogant if he is saying that the early exit was caused by him not getting enough gametime at 12 with Bath.

Goode talks out of his ass, quite funny how Goode says he was a great 12, yet Tindall says he was a great proper 6. Which was exactly the problem with Burgess.

Suspect if he is on about the Ford's it's problem a bit of butt hurt from this
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/r...ut-that-more-a-reflection-on-him-than-me.html

I'm 100% sure that George and Mike where focused on England and getting George to it, but it would never have been a question of Ford or Burgess they are the exact opposite, it would've always been Burrell and Burgess.
Although again not sure what Impact Mike and George could have on England?
2nd choice 10 and a Prem club DOR really shouldn't have much affect on the England training camp and management.

Yeah Lancaster was never considering Farrell at 12 where he absolutely refused to play him there (despite where Ford/Farrell played together at age grade).

This is retrospective nonsense the choice at 12 the time was Barritt and whether you played him there or at 13 instead of Jospeh.

Interesting watch.
Tindall mentioning that people like james are not the type to be distributive, and he would play for the team and do what's right even if he doesn't agree with it, the ones you need to watch are the ones who hide in the corner and kick stones.

Basically saying that Haskell would be a good sport if he wasn't selected/on the bench and whoever they're talking about would 'kick stones'.

Definitely leaves Ford an option here, but he always seems a quiet bloke... who else could it be?

Latest posts