Sam Burgess named on Bath bench Vs Harlequins tomorrow night

Every Time Ref

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
It's official - the rumours are true that Slammin' Sam could make his debut tomorrow night at the Rec against Quins.

The adrenaline-driven part of my psyche is screaming with excitement OH MY ****ING GOD IT'S SAM BURGESS PLAYING FOR BATH but, rationally, I worry that it is very early ... I at least thought he'd play a few A team games before he was considered for first team selection. He will be raw, he will make mistakes and in all honesty it's likely that his team mates will have to cover for him at times. It's tricky because, however great he may potentially be, getting him up to that potential will involve sacrificing some of the team's effectiveness as a unit in order to incorporate a complete novice - not just a professional debutant, but a debutant at any level of rugby union. How Ford handles that balance between the needs of Sam and the short-term needs of the club to win matches will be crucial to both his and Bath's success this season. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually doesn't get on tomorrow, especially if it's a close one - I think maybe Ford will name him in a few match day squads (possibly only at home), waiting for the opportunity to introduce him with minimal pressure to him and risk to the team's chances of winning. There's also a chance that clever coaches will be able to target him in certain ways.

On the other hand ... OH MY ****ING GOD IT'S SAM BURGESS PLAYING FOR BATH!!!!

If he does get on, there are a few technical / tactical things I'll be looking out for. I don't follow league, but as I see it these are crucial areas of difference he will need to get his head round:

• if he gets involved in any rucks and how he does (I assume he'll play in the centres for now)
  • body position into contact - as well as not using his forearms, which seems to be common in league?
  • not getting stripped in the tackle
  • presenting the ball
  • tackling technique
  • defensive positioning
  • what he does after making a tackle - rolling away, getting up quickly to defend, even going for the ball (unlikely)
  • hitting the gainline on a flat pass

Any arguments with those or anything to add will be fascinating. I really have no idea how this could turn out, but it really is an exciting time for Bath...

Well I think the obvious question is: will this match be televised?

Got tickets for the Bath vs Harlequins game. Cannot wait to see Sam tear it up. Eastmond off in the second half and Sam to score a try?

Yeah lets not put any pressure on the lad.....
Tallshort is right ! If Sam Burgess doesn't score at least 3 tries and dominate the game from full back than he is a complete faliure in union already.

Anybody know where he could come on? I don't follow League so I don't have a good idea of where he would play. Judging by physique alone, maybe a Number 8?

Anybody know where he could come on? I don't follow League so I don't have a good idea of where he would play. Judging by physique alone, maybe a Number 8?

As a centre I think as he's been named as backs replacement.

The plan is for him to be a 6 or 8. Until he's had some in-game experience of the breakdown and got his basics down he's probably going to play 3-4 games at IC.

Although he could come straight on in the back row, depending on how the game is going... he may not go on at all, of course.

Interesting to note that Dave Flatman has said that Sam himself wants to be a forward:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Plenty of experts declaring that Burgess has to play 12. That may be what happens, but he currently WANTS to be a forward. That's important!</p>&mdash; David Flatman (@davidflatman) <a href="https://twitter.com/davidflatman/status/538252181628284929">November 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's notable how many assertions that Burgess "has to be a 12" are preceded or followed by "Although I've only every watched his highlights" or "I've not seen him play".

Is David Flatman turning into a teeny tiny bit of a media whore nowadays though ... ? After writing an occassionally-vaguely-funny column in the free Sport magazine on the tubes for a couple of years, this season I'm suddenly seeing his face and opinions everywhere. He may have an inside line to the Bath dressing room, but I dunno, I suspect very prominent media types quickly lose the trust of their old mates and don't have the same access they claim.

Anyway, **** it, it's Burgess time!!!!! Despite myself, and I know it's wrong, I'm catching Burgess fever. I know he's not a rugby union player yet and I know we shouldn't expect too much but goddammit it's a Friday and I'm getting swept away in the hype. I'm building a shrine to Our Lord Burgess in my living room as we speak. The time for reasoned analysis is over, I just want to see the 20 ft tall demi-god ascended from heaven* bring down his righteous wrath upon those West London sinners.

*Dewsbury, West Yorkshire

Dave left his position with Bath recently in order to do more media stuff, mainly that ITV program and bit of work for BT.
He still lives in Wiltshire so is probably still within a 10 min drive from Farleigh and Bath itself and from what I can tell he is very good friends with a lot of the current players and staff at the club...

I think he sees Bath as his club, and the way he's gone about his media duties I can't really see him alienating anyone because he's pretty positive and fair on the whole.
I don't think you'll see him slagging anyone off as clickbait.

Yeah, I guess I'm being over cynical. Why be negative on Burgess Day?!

Happy Burgess Day, one and all

Latest posts