• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sam Burgess Playing 6 Vs Newcastle

He's more strong than he is powerful - and he has shown great strength at times... mainly in choke tackles and rucks.

I'd also say that he didn't have butter fingers so much as he was just carrying the ball too loosely... and to be fair he was known for that in rugbeh leeg too.

...There were two occasions where a more sympathetic pass or the lack of a Falcon's hand would have probably/possibly led to Burgess getting tries or at least making pretty big breaks.

I think that was a very successful outing, and am happy to see that Ford snr has said that he'll be playing there again vs Irish.

Last edited:
Whenever someone weighs more than you'd immediately imagine, I always look to the legs and hips. His hips aren't that narrow, and his legs are pretty thick for his height. You can "hide" a good 10kg+ on the hips and thighs. Fantastic example is Sinoti Sinoti, he's only 5' 9" but over 100kg, huge hips and monstrous thighs make up a huge amount of that weight (wide hips also means a bigger core of course).

Hips, wrists, knees, neck and meat spear are the best yardsticks of someone's natural physical size.

He's more strong than he is powerful - and he has shown great strength at times... mainly in choke tackles and rucks.

That's a fair way of putting it, he's not explosive is he. Maybe that explains the lack of big smashes, in league he gets time and a run up to build up for the impact, close quarters running often needs to be a bit more explosive, hitting the tackler from almost a standstill rather than relying on momentum. I said earlier in the thread that I like the idea of him at eight because I'd like to see him running in the wider channels, thinking about it maybe this is what I'm thinking of - giving him more space to build up his pace. Maybe he needs to learn to build up the pace before receiving the ball, coming round the corner at full pace? Would need better hands than he's been showing though.

I'd also say that he didn't have butter fingers so much as he was just carrying the ball too loosely... and to be fair he was known for that in rugbeh leeg too.

...There were two occasions where a more sympathetic pass or the lack of a Falcon's hand would have probably/possibly led to Burgess getting tries or at least making pretty big breaks.

True, poor wording from me - he still should've held on to a couple he dropped, although the knock-on wasn't his fault.

I think that was a very successful outing, and am happy to see that Ford snr has said that he'll be playing there again vs Irish.

!00% with you

I'm not! Haha

He showed serious potential for his first game at 6, and it is exciting to see what may come of it.

Does anyone know when Wilson or Thomas are due back? (don't even know what's wrong with Thomas)- I think they will be pivital to Bath's play off hopes.
Imo Baths' best pack are: Auterac, Batty, Wilson, Garvey, Attwood, Faosiliva, Louw, Houston
I wonder if Roko can mount a late charge for an England spot.. him back at his best > Watson on the wing (I wish we could find a wing that can tackle- May, Watson, Wade, Roko- is this just an English thing?!)

Last edited:
Does anyone know when Wilson or Thomas are due back? (don't even know what's wrong with Thomas)- I think they will be pivital to Bath's play off hopes.
Imo Baths' best pack are: Auterac, Batty, Wilson, Garvey, Attwood, Faosiliva, Louw, Houston
I wonder if Roko can mount a late charge for an England spot.. him back at his best > Watson on the wing (I wish we could find a wing that can tackle- May, Watson, Wade, Roko- is this just an English thing?!)

Roko can tackle quite well I thought, he doesn't often miss tackles and he kept Savea (relatively) quiet in November.

Burgess was in a try scoring position on 2 occassions, stopped only by a Falcons hand/tackle before he had properly received the ball. I think too many people expect him to replicate in Union what he does in league. Bit funny though, league likes to go on about their superior handling yet Burgess hasn't shown himself to be superior at taking or giving passes (speaking of passes, JJ's pass to Roko was incredble. A running AND passing threat at 13...)

All aboard the JJ train!

Been saying it for ages, he has it all. No-one's ever talked about his passing but he's been really good there this year. Two assists yesterday, one the pass itself was sublime, both the vision and timing was excellent.

You can probably see for yourself... one of the twins accidentally posted a dick pic on twitter a couple years ago apparently :lol:

JJ is just sheer class. Burgess did look a lot better at 6, game seemed to slow down for him. Burgess/Ewer/Vunipola/Morgan in back row and if Hughes is in contention we could have some monster ball carriers in a few years time for England. Real power players in back row. Maro Itoje as a 2nd rower and we have options there.

I think he's a pretty perfect 6 but would definitely like to see him as an 8 for a few reasons. 1 being purely just because I think all of his options need to be explored and 8 is definitely an option. 2 is just me thinking about him playing for England. We have a number of very good flankers, Robshaw, Haskell, Wood, Clark, and hopefully Armitage in the future (sadly I doubt this will ever happen). However we are lacking in really top quality 8's. Vunipola and Morgan are both good but far from World quality. Their running is quite average to be honest and they're work rate leaves much to be desired. This is why I think Burgess should play 8, as it gives England a chance of using him but not having to replace a top quality flanker.

I think he's a pretty perfect 6 but would definitely like to see him as an 8 for a few reasons. 1 being purely just because I think all of his options need to be explored and 8 is definitely an option. 2 is just me thinking about him playing for England. We have a number of very good flankers, Robshaw, Haskell, Wood, Clark, and hopefully Armitage in the future (sadly I doubt this will ever happen). However we are lacking in really top quality 8's. Vunipola and Morgan are both good but far from World quality. Their running is quite average to be honest and they're work rate leaves much to be desired. This is why I think Burgess should play 8, as it gives England a chance of using him but not having to replace a top quality flanker.

What? Its completely the other way round - England have no world class flankers, but 2 world class 8s... How can you say Billy and Ben's running is average, they're great ball carriers? Also Billy's workrate this season has been exceptional, he's starting to become the full package. Not sure if I agree with anything you've said there to be honest.

Whhaaatttt, no.8 is def not a problem area- both vuni and Morgan are great players and both (notably vuni of recent times, have great workrates and are renowned ball carriers), he'd stand a much better chance (albeit slim) of taking the 6 shirt where, imo, Haskell, Wood, Clark, Armitage are not (at least currently) anywhere near world class.
edit: ^ wizard

Last edited:
I still have concerns over Ben Morgan as an 80 minute player for him to be called World Class but he is certainly a fantastic option, and Billy V is up there with anyone in world on current form. 8 not an area of concern.

Latest posts