• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Santiago Phelan resigned as Puma's head coach

I think you're being a bit harsh on JJ. The Highlanders may have had a poor season with a top squad last season, but in prior seasons with JJ the team has over performed. You could do a lot worse than JJ.

We'll have to agree to disagree on JJ. I think he is pretty terrible. Winning a tad over 50% of games in one season doesn't make me think they're a decent coach, especially when its followed up by not even winning 20% the next season. But even looking beyond results - there never seems to be any other game plan then pass it from side to side - hoping if you crash it up enough you'll eventually break the line. The Highlanders got their three wins because of the occasional brilliance of some of their players from the counter attack - but nothing of the Highlanders structure that whole season and any other, has made me think JJ was capable. - even despite some of the hype. What's worse is that JJ built a squad for one season and failed so miserably that the following season the Highlanders are looking worse than ever. But even while recruiting a crap ton of players, he didn't get a single decent loose forward.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about that, we'll only know for sure if his successor can bring about an improvement. But, it is the right time to try.

well yeh but that's not for sure, dude. If the next coach is an incompetent primate specimen too, they ain't goin nowhere either.
Trust me, and my astronomical Rugby knowledge *cough*cough**..........*choke*
ahem, sorry, I was saying: from my incredible understanding and assessment of the game, I can say the Pumas deserved better coaching. They haven't been trained properly, monster holes in the defense, no game plan on attack or seemingly random schemes at times...the effort was there from the players, but a Tier 1 nation that takes 70+, even in JoBurg, that's flatout absurd.
Surely, surely it's a coaching problem, and most certainly they can be mobilized and organized in a far more efficient way. There's no question.

We'll have to agree to disagree on JJ. I think he is pretty terrible. Winning a tad over 50% of games in one season doesn't make me think they're a decent coach, especially when its followed up by not even winning 20% the next season. But even looking beyond results - there never seems to be any other game plan then pass it from side to side - hoping if you crash it up enough you'll eventually break the line. The Highlanders got their three wins because of the occasional brilliance of some of their players from the counter attack - but nothing of the Highlanders structure that whole season and any other, has made me think JJ was capable. - even despite some of the hype. What's worse is that JJ built a squad for one season and failed so miserably that the following season the Highlanders are looking worse than ever. But even while recruiting a crap ton of players, he didn't get a single decent loose forward.

Yeah but if they don't have good forwards. Blame the head coach or manager?

Yeah but if they don't have good forwards. Blame the head coach or manager?

Umm, what?

Coaches are the people who recruit and train the forwards. Managers are the people who organize the teams travel etc and have nothing to do with recruitment - at least within Super Rugby. In this case I blame the head coach - for being a useless coach both in terms of devising a gameplan and recruiting/building a squad. You only have to look at who the Highlanders had in their looseforwards last year to realize they were never going to do well. Of the Highlanders looseforwards I'd say only Nasi Manu would have made any other teams Super Rugby squad.

No one mentioning Jake White?

Sure he has a deal with the Sharks ATM but he had a deal with the Brumbies that wasn't worth **** less than 2 months ago. He has stated ad nasuem that he wants to coach at test level and I think he might be a good fit with Argentina actually.

Umm, what?

Coaches are the people who recruit and train the forwards. Managers are the people who organize the teams travel etc and have nothing to do with recruitment - at least within Super Rugby. In this case I blame the head coach - for being a useless coach both in terms of devising a gameplan and recruiting/building a squad. You only have to look at who the Highlanders had in their looseforwards last year to realize they were never going to do well. Of the Highlanders looseforwards I'd say only Nasi Manu would have made any other teams Super Rugby squad.

Ok, Highlanders was probably the worst team, even down to the Kings but I think they can improve with some good forwards. They should look best looseforwards.

Cheers

Since when did everybody start saying ad nauseum?

Smartcookie used it in a post a few months ago. The reason I know this is because it's a phrase I heard very rarely up until that point, and from then on in people started using it left right a centre. I see it used now and I slightly cringe.

Smartcookie used it in a post a few months ago. The reason I know this is because it's a phrase I heard very rarely up until that point, and from then on in people started using it left right a centre. I see it used now and I slightly cringe.

Would you say it makes you nauseum even?

Hey moderators, this thread should be called: "[2013 EOYT] Argentina" and be in forum of International Test Matches? IMO

Cheers

No one mentioning Jake White?

Sure he has a deal with the Sharks ATM but he had a deal with the Brumbies that wasn't worth **** less than 2 months ago. He has stated ad nasuem that he wants to coach at test level and I think he might be a good fit with Argentina actually.

He would be a good choice, I think I heard rumors that he would be one of the sought some time ago, but it seems that Michael Cheika is preferred by the UAR. Maybe because Cheika coached to Felipe Contepomi in Leinster few years ago.

Last edited:

100% agree, the phrase is now being used ad nauseum

Yes. Forget New Zealand, South Africa and Australia have both been beatable. Argentina had good chances for wins against both in both years and blew them all.

South Africa (especially in 2012) were an inexperienced unsettled outfit with lots of changes. Australia have endured injury hell, a destabilised unsettled team under a new coach. Both were vulnerable as they have ever been, and I expect both will have improved and settled significantly come next year.

And before some Phelan apologist comes and praises "the brave, gutsy efforts against much stronger teams", they might also want to have a look at Phelan's record against the 6 Nations sides as well. Could any other Tier 1 coach survive 3 home losses to Scotland? Even Italy expect a home win over Scotland as a minimum achievement these days.

No matter how bad Australia were their players are better than Argentinas players. Same goes for the Boks. Argentina beat Wales last year and had a few other good results. Their summer matches before the rugby championship are usually played with semi pro players.

Phelan also has to contend with his players playing in Europe. I don't know how the new coach will solve that problem.

Hey moderators, this thread should be called: "[2013 EOYT] Argentina" and be in forum of International Test Matches? IMO

I disagree. The resignation of a Coach goes beyond than three test matches. It's a topic that concerns a lot more than that, at least for those who cares about the future of the Argentine Rugby.

The only person who is sad about this in all the country is Juani Hernández, obviously because Phelan is only idiot who could put him in a starting XV with his current form.

The only person who is sad about this in all the country is Juani Hernández, obviously because Phelan is only idiot who could put him in a starting XV with his current form.

Don't forget Landajo!!

PR published part of Phelan's press conference, where he blames part of the players, who are somewhat divided, and then the journalist says it's Fernández Lobbe and friends vs Albacete and friends... do you know anything about that? Also, what's a good local website to read about Argentine rugby? Espnscrum seems to be way too lenient on their national team, with no criticism ever (I guess the people there are too close to the players and the staff)

Latest posts