• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saracens call for salary cap to be scrapped

Steve diamond talking rubbish TBH, I reckon 1 or 2 may be breaking the cap but not by 2.5 million!!!.

He is doing the whole I know what ever player is on blah blah blah thing again, I don't think he realises the difference between what the agent is wanting and what they are actually getting.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/550587/Rugby-union-salary-cap-joke-Steve-Diamond

boohoo! poor old stevie, people are after his players and he's going to let everyone know....

I honestly detest Diamond. As much as i like Sale and they've always played nice rugby i literally despise the man.

I don't mind Diamond tbh, the figures he's guessing at are ridiculous though.

I couldn't love Dimes more, he's brilliant. He also spent a large portion of his career as a talent scout, negotiator and agent, so I imagine he knows more than most what's cracking with salaries.

Diamond: How would your player like to come to sharks?
Agent: I'll ask my player........ Hey ( for example Marcos Ayera) how would you like to play for Sharks?
Ayerza: Hell no, But I guess if they pay 500K a season I might be willing to move their. although I would rather stay at Leicester for 250K
Agent: Okay my player has said he would like to move but of if you could match his current club deal of 750K a season
Diamond: Sorry we can't afford that. Clubs must be like 10 million pounds over the salary cap, I will just talk to the media about rather it than actually put a complaint in.

I couldn't love Dimes more, he's brilliant. He also spent a large portion of his career as a talent scout, negotiator and agent, so I imagine he knows more than most what's cracking with salaries.

He is a proper "Diamond"!!

He is the kind of narly old fashioned Northern rugby player/coach that I really like and appreciate who wears his heart on his sleeve and is not afraid of opening his mouth or take a tough decision.

He has been brilliant for Sale and long may he continue to reign there!!

Diamond: How would your player like to come to sharks?
Agent: I'll ask my player........ Hey ( for example Marcos Ayera) how would you like to play for Sharks?
Ayerza: Hell no, But I guess if they pay 500K a season I might be willing to move their. although I would rather stay at Leicester for 250K
Agent: Okay my player has said he would like to move but of if you could match his current club deal of 750K a season
Diamond: Sorry we can't afford that. Clubs must be like 10 million pounds over the salary cap, I will just talk to the media about rather it than actually put a complaint in.

Yes, because he is clearly very stupid and knows nothing about the business he's in :huh:

To say that some clubs are 2.5 million over the cap is stupid imo.

He has done this before talked talked, talked, but hasn't filed a complaint about it.

Sorry I'm going to have a rant. The salary cap matters but still doesn't affect teams like irish or Welsh because we have no money so we can't afford to bring to bring top players in because we can't pay there wages compared to a team in the top 4.Also this means we can't hold on two our top quality players and now look like losing another one ( Homer) to Bath who seem to think they can knock our whole team. I mean this is a team of Irish players who have left or are still here and combined it's one hell of a team.
1 Corbs
2 Paice
3 Cross
4 Kennedy
5 Skivs
6 Garvey
7 Sisi
8 Armitage
9 Steele
10 Geraghty
11 Watson
12 Bowden
13 O'Conner
14 Yarde
15 Homer

Diamond made that claim this time last year as well. I think even Leicester when they were trying to defend themselves admitted they spent 'probably more' than any other Premiership club because they are 'one of the only ones who make full use of the allowances' and could be spending £1m more than Sale, whilst also spending far more on medical, conditioning (ironic considering their recent injuries) to get 'players to come for less'.

When Leicester themselves admit they are spending £1m more than Sale and over the standard salary cap due to making use of 'allowances' (aka loopholes), then it wouldn't surprise me at all if they still had other loopholes they were getting round it. There's a considerable amount of suspicion from various teams that a couple of the top teams dodge the cap for some years now.

Diamond made that claim this time last year as well. I think even Leicester when they were trying to defend themselves admitted they spent 'probably more' than any other Premiership club because they are 'one of the only ones who make full use of the allowances' and could be spending £1m more than Sale, whilst also spending far more on medical, conditioning (ironic considering their recent injuries) to get 'players to come for less'.

When Leicester themselves admit they are spending £1m more than Sale and over the standard salary cap due to making use of 'allowances' (aka loopholes), then it wouldn't surprise me at all if they still had other loopholes they were getting round it. There's a considerable amount of suspicion from various teams that a couple of the top teams dodge the cap for some years now.

I actually think it's easier for DORs to say other teams are breeching the salary cap when in reality they don't have access to spend up to the cap or can't entice quality players to the club.

Speaking as a Bath supporter, I do kind of agree with you. It must be frustrating for Irish supporters, and us seemingly picking on one club quite so specifically does seem particularly harsh!

However, the best will in the world will not change the fact that the game is also a business, and teams with money will spend it on players. The salary cap is there to stop that going out of control, but it will never stop being the case entirely. Clubs which are more successful financially, for whatever reason, will continue to have more money to spend than those less successful. Its' a professional game, and I can't see any realistic way of changing that. We could I suppose debate the merits of introducing the US-style draft system till the cows came home, but it would be purely academic because in reality it would never happen.

One final thing to add, as a Bath supporter, is that I a) do not want the salary cap abolished (selfishly it would be good for us, but bad for rugby and bad for England); and b) I hope that means that the extra money we have available compared to other clubs can be put into our academy and scouting system. That should be the real benefit of the salary cap, that the richest clubs can use their money to their advantage but only in areas which are not wages - so, developing young players. I would like to see Bath in future years pumping out class young English players, rather than nicking yours ...