• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saracens call for salary cap to be scrapped

If Glos aren't amongst the 7 teams that want the cap removed, who actually is?

As far as I can tell, removing the cap would only serve the purposes of 2 teams, Sarries and Bath. Tigers may also want to remove the cap, with their giant income. Would love to know which other 4 teams actually want to remove the cap.

But given Griffiths' fluidity with the truth, I reckon he's made the figure up.<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

I guess LW would be one of them too. Wouldnt think they'd need to worry, theyre down in all but name at this point

Three who definetly want to keep the salary cap are Welsh, Falcons and us and maybe Sale.

What is the point of following a sport if the joy of winning is replaced with the expectation of winning?

<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

Well put.

I guess it's the same feeling of undeserved triumph a chubby 60 year old multimillionaire feels when he gets laid by a 25 year glamour model.

Something I never understood by club owners that want to buy their way to success... when they do actually achieve that success, what is there to celebrate?0

If you beat a 10 year old in a boxing match, do you really have the right to gloat?

What is the point of following a sport if the joy of winning is replaced with the expectation of winning?

Lol! what a ridicolous analogy. :D

Well put.

I guess it's the same feeling of undeserved triumph a chubby 60 year old multimillionaire feels when he gets laid by a 25 year glamour model.

Wait until you get to 60 and see how you feel about that then!!!!

Lol! what a ridicolous analogy. :D
You get the point though. :p

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/dec/19/saracens-premiership-salary-cap

So according to this, Exeter, Gloucester, Quins and Wasps all disagree with Griffiths, whilst Bath and Saints are on the fence. That already puts him out of teams that make up the supposed 7 that agree with him. And I can't say for certain, but my guess is that it would be a resounding no from Welsh and Falcons, given they won't be anywhere near the cap.

Clearly Griffiths is a liar. Wouldn't surprise me if Saracens were the only team that actually wanted this.

Last edited:
I can see Griffiths' point, however clumsily he made it. French clubs spending power could dwarf that of all other nations and relegate the Premiership, Pro 12 and Super Rugby in status if it hoovers up all the top talent. Griffiths wants Saracens to be the top team on the planet and wants to negate the power shift to the Top 14.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Harlequins CEO David Ellis on salary cap: &quot;The comments were somewhat surprising... as a club, Harlequins fully supports the salary cap.&quot;</p>&mdash; Christopher Jones (@chjones9) <a href="https://twitter.com/chjones9/status/545986743795990528">December 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>More Quins' David Ellis: &quot;[the cap] is one of the elements which makes ours one of the most competitive leagues in the world.&quot;</p>&mdash; Christopher Jones (@chjones9) <a href="https://twitter.com/chjones9/status/545987694414032896">December 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>DE: &quot;The fundamentals of this regulation were approved recently...so I can't understand why the issue is being raised again so quickly.&quot;</p>&mdash; Christopher Jones (@chjones9) <a href="https://twitter.com/chjones9/status/545987948081324032">December 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

Yeah that's what I thought...

The cap, largely, works. It keeps competition far more even than it would be otherwise and stops an over reliance on imported foreign star players. I am A) not surprised at all at who this has come from (sorry Sarries fans) and B) not surprised that the reaction from Quins has been as such. I would suspect that they're not the only club named as 'supporting' abolition of the cap who are actually in favour of it.

Craig's a weird one - he was very recently saying he thought the cap was "an important regulator".

I hope Bath aren't (i hope no-one is) but I wouldn't be that surprised to see that they are.

Weren't there rumours that Bath were over the salary cap a few years back? Seem to recall Olly Barkley suddenly leaving soon afterwards.

Holy crap. This did seem somewhat out of the blue.

If they have been found to be cheating the cap, I hope they are crippled by the punishment.

Sarries have had a strong South African presence for a long time. They could have been cheating the cap for years.

You do have to fear what the Top 14 will be like in a few years though.

When clubs like Montpellier, Racing Metro, Grenoble, Bordeaux, Stade, Lyon get their act together and start to run themselves on and off the field like Toulouse, Clermont and Toulon...
They've got th economic potential to literally poo all over any club or union in the world.

I think that the Premiership and Saracens need to think how they are going to achieve growth for the whole of English club rugby, doing away with the salary cap is not the way though imo.

They are competing with French cuba who can for the most part genuinely afford much higher salaries because of the higher levels of investment, revenue, market and general interest in French club rugby these days, It is very big. To just stick your head in the sand and say everything will be ok is not the answer.

I think we can work out at least two of the teams who want the salary cap ditched ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...-alleged-breaches-salary-cap-regulations.html

You could not make it up!!! So Sarries are allegedly breaking the salary cap, get caught and spin the story of major backing to remove any cap in order to clear themselves!!

Griffiths really is a work of art but must have the backing of the equally despicable Wray and his SA cohorts presumably?!!

Kind of obvious why this has come up now then. Sarries engaged in some sabre rattling because they're being investigated and are trying to make out that they have a majority of clubs supporting them. Hardly a surprising move.

Like rats, I hope neither team are over the cap but I'm aware that is quite naive.

Id listen to sarries if they were a real rugby club but there not. They are just a joke.

The salary cap is what keeps rugby interesting and fair. Sarries make a massive loss every year and should t be allowed to carry on that way.

Kind of obvious why this has come up now then. Sarries engaged in some sabre rattling because they're being investigated and are trying to make out that they have a majority of clubs supporting them. Hardly a surprising move.

Like rats, I hope neither team are over the cap but I'm aware that is quite naive.
But it's a rather dumb move! :p Griffiths has been clearly disproven on a number of claims he has made. He has now brought himself and his club into further disrepute. It also appears to be the cry of the guilty if you ask me.

The funny side to this is that his lies weren't even convincing or plausible. He's like that kid that tells people he didn't eat the chocolate, when it is covered around his face!

Best thing Healey has ever written/said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...ial-for-Premiership-England-and-the-fans.html

Sale confirm they support the salary cap:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30559910

So the confirmations so far are Quins, Glos, Sale, Wasps and Exeter are against Griffiths, with Bath and Saints on the fence.

Last edited:

Latest posts