• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saracens call for salary cap to be scrapped

We've confirmed or smith did in an interview. Bet you the Tigers are with griffiths.

We've confirmed or smith did in an interview. Bet you the Tigers are with griffiths.

Tigers would be screwed if the cap went, unless we sell to a suger daddy which nearly everyone is against.

Raise it an extra million we could mange but scrap it and it would mean massive changes.

Vermuellen a done deal to bath apparently.

Tigers would be screwed if the cap went, unless we sell to a suger daddy which nearly everyone is against.

I'm not so sure - Tigers are probably the biggest name in rugby, and they have very very strong ties to some big sponsors. I could easily see Caterpillar stumping up the pennies for a player or two.

But it's a rather dumb move! :p Griffiths has been clearly disproven on a number of claims he has made. He has now brought himself and his club into further disrepute. It also appears to be the cry of the guilty if you ask me.

The funny side to this is that his lies weren't even convincing or plausible. He's like that kid that tells people he didn't eat the chocolate, when it is covered around his face!

Best thing Healey has ever written/said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...ial-for-Premiership-England-and-the-fans.html

Sale confirm they support the salary cap:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30559910

So the confirmations so far are Quins, Glos, Sale, Wasps and Exeter are against Griffiths, with Bath and Saints on the fence.

Oh yeah, it has backfired completely! But it was sort of the logical thing to do from Sarries POV. They must have known they were being investigated and would probably be fined. By attacking the cap before the investigation became public they were clearly trying to turn the debate into one over the cap itself, not their all edges breach. Hasn't worked but it was their only option apart from just standing back and getting wacked in the press when it went public.

Another thing, why the hell would Chiefs or Pests oppose the cap??

Salary cap will result in fewer English players in Aviva Premiership. This would (like in football) handicap our national team. Scouts will go straight to Southern Hemisphere schools and parachute players from there into the English clubs. Please let's not go down the football route.

But it's a rather dumb move! :p Griffiths has been clearly disproven on a number of claims he has made. He has now brought himself and his club into further disrepute. It also appears to be the cry of the guilty if you ask me.

The funny side to this is that his lies weren't even convincing or plausible. He's like that kid that tells people he didn't eat the chocolate, when it is covered around his face!

Best thing Healey has ever written/said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...ial-for-Premiership-England-and-the-fans.html

Sale confirm they support the salary cap:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30559910

So the confirmations so far are Quins, Glos, Sale, Wasps and Exeter are against Griffiths, with Bath and Saints on the fence.

Can say with certainty that we'd be in support of the Salary Cap, we'd be in the discussion certainly, as we know first hand how out of control finances can get.

Must be what it's like to be an All Black Fan.

... Are yes, but the expectation of winning, is not the certainty of winning, is it :) ... I wouldn't say that "expectation" replaces "joy" either :)

On the subject though, scraping the salary cap would be a huge mistake for all of the reasons mentioned - it just wouldn't be good for the majority of the English clubs, or for English Rugby as a whole.

While I enjoy watching the odd Barbarians or World XV game, I'm not sure I really need to see it, week in, week out, in club form, ala Toulon

Maybe about the Aviva but he is talking through his posterior and showing a surprising ignorance about the Top 14.......

I don't see what's wrong with what he has said . In fairness he did say it was a subjective opinion and one that i share with him in all honesty

Griffiths is just another self-interested club executive, like Wray and the other Muppets; nothing new to see here then. Its not about "growing the game" it about growing two or three clubs at the expense of the rest.

Removal of the Salary cap would lead directly to what you have in English football; three or four clubs (with most of the best players in the league) being the only teams with any realistic chance of winning it, while the rest are reduced to either competing for a spot in the Champions League or staving off relegation so they they can come back do it all over again next year.

Unrestricted salaries is the path to madness. Sportsmen are already paid far more than their real worth for playing sport. This would just exacerbate the situation but the worst thing about it is that the ordinary fan will be the ones who have to pay for this through increased ticket prices and increased television subscriptions.

ETA: Anyone who thinks that salary caps don't give an even competition needs only look at AFL (Aussie Rules). Of the eighteen clubs that comprise this competition, fourteen have competed in a Grand Final in the last 20 years and eleven of them have won it. Richmond and the Western Bulldogs are the only long standing clubs that have failed to make a final in that time, the other two are expansion clubs Gold Coast (2011) and Western Sydney (2012).

Last edited:
the ordinary fan will be the ones who have to pay for this through increased ticket prices and increased television subscriptions.
It's already happening. My Leinster season ticket increased in price by around €30. I now need a 2nd subscription to an extra pay TV channel to catch all the European Champions Cup which I didn't have to do last year. The Pro 12 was exclusively on terrestrial TV last season but now a pay TV subscription is needed to watch all games. Thanks Bruce Craig, Mark McCafferty, Nigel Wray et al! Fans are being shat on by administrators here and it's about time we rose up.

What we need is a new vision for rugby in Europe and not to follow the flawed soccer model.

It's already happening. My Leinster season ticket increased in price by around â'¬30. I now need a 2nd subscription to an extra pay TV channel to catch all the European Champions Cup which I didn't have to do last year. The Pro 12 was exclusively on terrestrial TV last season but now a pay TV subscription is needed to watch all games. Thanks Bruce Craig, Mark McCafferty, Nigel Wray et al! Fans are being shat on by administrators here and it's about time we rose up.

What we need is a new vision for rugby in Europe and not to follow the flawed soccer model.

100%.

As a counterpoint to my earlier stats regarding AFL, look at the EPL, where there is no salary cap, money is no object, and players command outrageous, out of control salaries for kicking a piece of inflated synthetic leather around a paddock...

In the last 20 years, only 5 of 20 teams have won it; ManU, ManC Chelsea, Arsenal and Blackburn Rovers (that was 20 years ago and they aren't even in the EPL any more). Since the EPL doesn't have a grand final, if we extend this to include the runners up (in keeping with "making finals", only three additional teams are added, Liverpool, Aston Villa and Newcastle United.... no team outside those eight have finished top two for 20 years

How boring and one-dimensional is this? The football matches might be interesting (for football fans, personally the game itself leaves me cold), but as a competition, its a borefest. Do English rugby fans really want one ot two teams permanently dominating the Aviva. Do they really want teams like the Toulon International Barbarians to be winning Premierships. All I can say as a Kiwi rugby fan is, thank God that doesn't go on here.

as a competition, its a borefest.

There are millions of people across Britain who would bitterly disagree on that point.

You only have to look at this season with West Ham Fourth at Christmas and the fact that Man City only returned to the top flight in 2001-02 as proof that teams can be built if finances can be managed. You also have the excitment of small teams being able to work their way to the top which is something sorely lacking from a lot of other sports (especially SH Union, League and AFL (iirc)).

I don't agree with the salary cap being scrapped in English Rugby but you absolutely have to look at these things in isolation and not by comparing it to other sports that have their own unique structure and fandom.

Do agree EG is a smary g*t though :)

My gut feeling is that Bath or Sarries being found guilty and docked a horrendous amount of points would be hugely disasterous for English rugby, love them or hate them Sarries have done a lot of good for the game in England, I would argue they've raised the profile a lot both commercially and within their local community - they've worked hard at being local club (if that makes sense).

Last edited:
I think you could even argue that the Aviva Premiership isn't that competitive though. You have to go back to 2010-11 to find a year when the playoffs weren't Sarries, Leicester, Northampton and Quins. And even then it was only Gloucester in for Quins.

The premiership is decently competitive... removing or even slightly increasing the cap would make it less so.
The fact that some teams cannot spend to the current cap means that is inevitable.

The premiership is decently competitive... removing or even slightly increasing the cap would make it less so.
The fact that some teams cannot spend to the current cap means that is inevitable.

yeah, it's pretty decent to be fair, though even as it is is we're getting a haves and have nots situation.... Wasps have got a great new stadium, Bath HAVE NOT :p

There are millions of people across Britain who would bitterly disagree on that point.

I wonder how much that says about football fans. Realistically there is NO chance that a team outside of the Manchesters, Chelsea and maybe Arsenal will win the league this year.

(NOTE: I have to admit to a fair bit of bias here because I generally find football tedious, about as exciting as watching grass grow. My perception of it is that it involves kicking the ball around until you lose it.)

You only have to look at this season with West Ham Fourth at Christmas and the fact that Man City only returned to the top flight in 2001-02 as proof that teams can be built if finances can be managed.

But that is just the problem, with no salary cap, there is no control. A multi-millionaire can come out of the woodwork and buy a Premiership by pouring truckloads of money into a club, which is exactly what happened with Man City.

A salary cap levels the playing field. Take a look at the ITM Cup this year, the finalist were Tasman and Taranaki, neither of those teams had ever won the National Provincial Premiership before, and neither team are Super Rugby Franchise bases (who finished third, fourth, second to last, and last this season; Wellington is relegated to the Championship to join Otago who finished second to last there this season). That is what a salary cap can do.

A salary cap levels the playing field. Take a look at the ITM Cup this year, the finalist were Tasman and Taranaki, neither of those teams had ever won the National Provincial Premiership before, and neither team are Super Rugby Franchise bases (who finished third, fourth, second to last, and last this season; Wellington is relegated to the Championship to join Otago who finished second to last there this season). That is what a salary cap can do.

yes, i know what a salary cap is SC, i'm agreeing with you that losing one is a bad thing... I'm just saying i tink the pyramid system of rugby and football leagues in the UK is better than S15/ITM etc.... just for creating excitment.

Latest posts