• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saracens v Leinster

Aye, with Hougaard gone it does hurt their kicking game, though Goode ain't exactly terrible

Leinster hooker in the bin means they're going to have to work hard now, especially as the penalty takes their lead down to 5

Edit: Oh, 3points from Sexton puts them back to 8 :D 25 from him alone tonight, and after Barnes said earlier he doesn't think he's up to HEC standard :lol:

My respect for Stuart Barnes' commentating plummets ever further

What did he say?
I turned off as soon as it finished, presume he blamed the ref or something, despite the ref giving Sarries more than their fair share of soft penalties!
Ref was poor, Leinster should have had 3 players binned, Watford's finst were by far the better team, rugby is dying, Sarries should play boring 10 man rugby and kick everything since it's not worthwhile carrying the ball. Jamie Heaslip was asked about Venter's comments (re: kick everything) and basically said it's bullshit.

Venter is clearly a terrific coach but he should learn to bite his lip. He and Edward Griffiths are doing Saracens no favours with their ill timed rants.

I'm playing the worlds saddest song on the worlds smallest violin for Venter right now.

Does he think Leinster played 10 man rugby? Because they didn't....
He's such a bad loser (and a bad winner actually) - I've never seen a post match interview where he hasn't bagged or bragged unbelievably.

Last edited:
For a University student, your spelling is atrocious young man!

A special word for George Hook; this is an extract from another brilliantly informed column of his from October 3rd:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...ll-come-undone-in-heineken-group-2362748.html

One suspects it is too late for Schmidt to get the team back on the rails. The Magners League is no barometer of Heineken Cup success but I suspect this is a coach that has lost the dressing-room. The last time I saw such a collective unwillingness to compete was Eddie O'Sullivan's Ireland at the last World Cup. It will require a stunning change in attitude for Leinster to qualify for the knock-out stages.
:bravo:

:lol:

Sensationalist tabloid journalism at its finest- writing off a coach after a month in charge. Leinster have beaten Munster (although this was published the day after the game), Racing Metro and Saracens since he wrote that pile of drivel. It's amazing what having your 1st choice flyhalf can do for a team. Remember Leinster were also missing their backup 10 (Berne) and had to stick in a rookie (Madigan) and a back three player (Nacewa) in their opening 4 games this season.

Today was Leinster's first win in the Heineken Cup group stage in England since the 2005/06 season- not bad going for a team who've apparently lost belief in their coach............

Sucks that Saracens lost, but iI wouldn't have expected anything less. Give it a couple of years and good signings, and Saracens will be competing strongly.

once again, saracens have only themselves to blame. I know it's only 2 games gone, but I think we can safely say we're out of the HC.

2 weeks in a row, we've shown we're more than a good enough sides to be a heavy force in the HC. And 2 weeks in a row, we've shown we lack the experience to grind out results to back that up.

Twice in that match, we earned 3 points by developing some good pressure, only to give 3 back to Leinster with a stupid unforced penalty almost straight from the restart.

That's two weeks in a row Houggaard has missed some very important kicks as well.

And two weeks in a row a seasoned Heineken Cup side has shown that they can defend superbly in a disciplined matter under immense pressure when it really matters. We haven't managed this yet.

There are plenty of positives to take - Alex Goode was superb from fullback and gave his first assured performance at 10 of the season. We're strong from 1-15 (although Borthwick was crap again today), and we lack a Shane Williams style gamewinner. I really hope we compete all four remaining pool games hard - not to try and snatch qualification, just to get up that HC experience, because the basics are there, we just need to excecute better.

I think Cato was class when he came on (apart from his obvious-block-which-the-ref-missed-somehow straight off the bat :p ) - it's a shame he's not getting as much game time since strettle joined, he's a quality player.
I agree completely with what you said as well: Good enough, but not experienced enough.
Though it was at "home" - to push Leinster that close in the HC is no mean feat, and to come within a DG to win it, and almost get into range in the last few minutes, it's almost down to luck that they didn't get the shot at it (the dodgy pass which Goode knocked on, if it'd had've been a better pass would he have made a few more yards etc.etc.) - there's no way of knowing if the DG would've gone over, but either way, very close.

How is Sarries depth? How hard will they miss Hougaard? If the injury's as bad as it looked/seemed he could be out a few months

Seen highlights and well heard Venters comments :D
Is that fella serious, All I will say is Saracencs were poor and well at the looks of it seemed more interested in staging a carnival than doing the business.
Leinster came ready Sexton kicked his goals and although he scored the try it was a well worked move with fine footwork from Nacewa but Leinster always looked the more dangerous side

Such a shame that Venter is such an arse and not just a decent coach. If you've not heard ******** features rant yet:

Brendan Venter has warned the International Rugby Board that the game will be harmed if they do not address problems at the breakdown.
Saracens' Rugby Director is furious that French referee Christophe Berdos failed to sin-bin three Leinster players during the second half of their 25-23 defeat when a rash of penalties prevented his team gaining momentum.
And he threatened to return his team to playing a tedious kicking game in Europe and then reverting to their running game in league games.
Venter said: "Before the Heineken Cup began, I asked if we would have a conference so all the officials from abroad were in tune as to the new interpretations of the laws.
"Instead, we got some European referees in the Premiership, but there is a real danger that if we don't take action going into a World Cup year, the game of rugby is going to die, be killed stone dead because the public won't come to watch.
"We'll end up playing one type of rugby in the league, another in Europe and when you get to the World Cup, wait and see which referee you get.
"Last season we won 10 games in a row playing a kicking game, a horrible game to watch but necessary because the breakdown regulations favoured defending teams.
"I may consider returning to that in Europe because there is no system in place to complain about these problems and that makes it a flawed competition."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3822_6449006,00.html

Twat

I'm sure he missed the two obvious obstructions deep in the Saracens half, from kick offs, which the ref ignored on two seperate occasions
Because if he saw those and was happy he'd be a hypocritical douche, and that's certainly not what he is!

venter needs to shut up. he's managed to do in just over a year what no other coach we've had has done - turn a strong squad into one that is among the cream of english teams, and potentially european.

but we've won no friends along the way, and most of that is down to his kind of comments. they're not needed, and are at a wenger/ ferguson level of patomime one-eyedness. last week saracens hardly capitalised on players in the bin, this week the same. I've seen both clermont and leinster really step up the intensity with 14 men; munster today when playing against 14. we couldn't do that so i don't know why he's complaining. and about penalties - if houggaard had kicked his then we would have won, pure and simple. we had enough chances.

missing houggaard... we'll miss him in terms of depth, but barritt's played 10 in the past and there's a couple of young english guys who could have a go. but this season was supposed to be where alex goode made a name for himself at 10, and now's his chance. he started flakily but looks awesome from fullback - and did a great job today moving in to 10.

agree with olyy on cato. personally my saracens back 3 for next week would be tagicakibau - wyles - cato. strettle missed another important tackle today.

[QUOTE=gingergenius;348373]venter needs to shut up. he's managed to do in just over a year what no other coach we've had has done - turn a strong squad into one that is among the cream of english teams, and potentially european.

but we've won no friends along the way, and most of that is down to his kind of comments. they're not needed, and are at a wenger/ ferguson level of patomime one-eyedness. last week saracens hardly capitalised on players in the bin, this week the same. I've seen both clermont and leinster really step up the intensity with 14 men; munster today when playing against 14. we couldn't do that so i don't know why he's complaining. and about penalties - if houggaard had kicked his then we would have won, pure and simple. we had enough chances.

missing houggaard... we'll miss him in terms of depth, but barritt's played 10 in the past and there's a couple of young english guys who could have a go. but this season was supposed to be where alex goode made a name for himself at 10, and now's his chance. he started flakily but looks awesome from fullback - and did a great job today moving in to 10.

agree with olyy on cato. personally my saracens back 3 for next week would be tagicakibau - wyles - cato. strettle missed another important tackle today.[/QUOTE]

Should this not be backed up with trophies ?????

My love for Rob Keaney has returned by the way. He's now the superjesus he once was. It's beautiful really. All hail!

EDIT: I would also like to point out that O'Brien is a fantastic player. He consistently plays well. David Wallace better watch his back. Kev McLaughlin will have to prove something to get that 6 jersey back when he's backf rom injury. Although what could happen is Jennings gets dropped, O'Brien moves to 7 and McLaughlin plays 6.

6. McLaughlin
7. O'Brien
8. Heaslip

I'm on a semi

Last edited:
Thought Jennings had a good game yesterday,
His kick and chase was something a winger would be proud of

Jennings and Cullen are 2 players that amaze me. At the start they were mediocre players at best and well wouldnt be much of an asset but then they went to Leicester and whatever way they operate over there in the midlands the 2 lads returned and well Cullen especially has just improved in to a leader and world class operator. Jennings to learned so much about leadership there and well has a good working brain on him

Jennings and Cullen are 2 players that amaze me. At the start they were mediocre players at best and well wouldnt be much of an asset but then they went to Leicester and whatever way they operate over there in the midlands the 2 lads returned and well Cullen especially has just improved in to a leader and world class operator. Jennings to learned so much about leadership there and well has a good working brain on him

I think going abroad for a few years can be really good for a players game. I think players like McFadden or Felix Jones should really consider making moves to English or French clubs for a while. McFadden especially. His talents are going to waste. I think he has the potential to be the starting 13 for almost any European club but all he's got at Leinster is a spot on the bench.

I wouldn't agree that those players were mediocre when they left Leinster- Cullen's play over the previous seasons had forced Bob Casey to move to England for 1st team rugby and Jennings was very unlucky not to have taken Keith Gleeson's place in the team since he deserved the 7 shirt at the time. What I do agree with is your assessment that they grew as players when they joined the Tigers. In his time there Cullen became a terrfic leader and Jennings was imbued with a huge work rate and developed a ruthless streak.

I agree with King D'arcy that Fergus McFadden would be well advised to move club, possibly to England, for regular 1st team rugby. He could walk into most Premiership teams.

A video of Brendan Venter's rant is here:
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12332_6449057,00.html

He's a great coach but needs to shut up. As others have said, Saracens are making no friends due to his ill timed musings every time his team lose.

Latest posts