• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SBW back to NRL Roosters in 2013... Confirmed.

Typical Sonny Bill, his moves always have to be a forever running saga which go on forever before a decision is made

such as

Bulldogs - Toulon
Toulon - Crusaders
Crusaders - Chiefs

every one of those moves has taken forever to happen

Most of the top NZ league players have all stated that they've wanted to pull on the AB's jersey at some time, Mannering, Benji Marshall etc.

I never wanted him to come to Union, he's a merc with only a sense of loyalty to himself. It's fine to chase the dollar but to do so at the cost of someone who will genuinely bleed to get in that black jersey. The AB's coaches are to blame, let's not forget that they also chased Luke McAlister.

SBW an Icon? He couldn't clean the dirt between Michael Jones boots. He's going to leave rugby with a few highlights and a deserved RWC ring and possibly alot of Maybe's and What if's.

Why is there so much money in the NRL. I don't follow it much is it really that big?

The Media rights are up for negotiation - which previously had been set at a low value given the coverage, salary cap as well as other things are set too increase in the millions. It's one of the biggest sports in Aus so they pull a fair bit of coin.

All up, I hope he reaches his potential at some sport. The Kiwis (NZ RL) have already shown that they didn't need him for the 4 nations or the RL World Cup. The All Blacks have shown that they didn't need him to win a RWC.

It was nice too have him tho. And the amount of viewing that he got when his jersey was ripped increased by the millions.

Most of the top NZ league players have all stated that they've wanted to pull on the AB's jersey at some time, Mannering, Benji Marshall etc.

I never wanted him to come to Union, he's a merc with only a sense of loyalty to himself. It's fine to chase the dollar but to do so at the cost of someone who will genuinely bleed to get in that black jersey. The AB's coaches are to blame, let's not forget that they also chased Luke McAlister.

SBW an Icon? He couldn't clean the dirt between Michael Jones boots. He's going to leave rugby with a few highlights and a deserved RWC ring and possibly alot of Maybe's and What if's.

The Media rights are up for negotiation - which previously had been set at a low value given the coverage, salary cap as well as other things are set too increase in the millions. It's one of the biggest sports in Aus so they pull a fair bit of coin.

All up, I hope he reaches his potential at some sport. The Kiwis (NZ RL) have already shown that they didn't need him for the 4 nations or the RL World Cup. The All Blacks have shown that they didn't need him to win a RWC.

It was nice too have him tho. And the amount of viewing that he got when his jersey was ripped increased by the millions.

That's my feellings in a nut shell. I don't mind him chasing money, but I feel the NZRU were wrong to sign someone who wasn't experienced and loyal and give him all the oppertunities that other players didn't get. I'd have rather seen McAlister there to be honest, the difference between the two was that McAlister got one shot for the All Blacks the minute he returned and then got nothing for two years (despite being a proven talent), where SBW got every oppertunity.

Why is there so much money in the NRL. I don't follow it much is it really that big?

For the same reason that Rugby Union will never get prime television rights in Australia. Rupert Murdoch with News Corp owns a huge amount of the NRL.

Last edited:
No surprise at all that SBW has been talking with NRL Clubs. As primarily a rugby union fan it is a bit unfortunate that we will never see him truly reach his potential in the sport.

I agree with most of the comments here, it's a shame he probably won't stick to union. That said, he's a great talent and I don't really feel the need to call him a merc. He's pulled his family up with him and if he gets an offer of the sort people are speculating anyone​ would have a hard time saying no.

Last edited by a moderator:
As if he is getting that kind of money in the NRL. The whole reason he left was because of the restrictive nature of the salary cap to limit a player's earning potential. Granted it has been lifted by then but still not by much. If he does get a huge pay day like that I can guarantee it will have a negative impact on his team's prospects.

though I'm looking forward to him playing for the chiefs if he is going back to league I wish he'd done it this year. Isn't there a rugby league world cup this year 2012? he could have had a go at that.

I don't understand why people have such a big problem with him. Sure he's different but the fact is he is very very good and he's a marketing dream. Most haters just have a bad case of tall poppy syndrome IMO. A professional sportsman's carrier only lasts 10-15 years and they only peak for part of that or so and he's obviously trying to get the most out of it that he can and try a number of different things. And I can't fault him for chasing the cash - he's one of the most marketable people in sport, he brings people to the games and creates headlines and his teams win, and it cost him $1m to get out of his bulldogs contract so he had to pay that off too and he has family to support.

To me he seems like a good guy and a humble person, a good role model, he enjoys what he does, all coaches and players he works with give glowing reports.

I think the fact he's always in the news ****** some people off. But is that his fault or the media's fault. At least when he's in the news it's not because he got ******, got in a fight or similar.

I have no doubt he will have a +ve impact at the chiefs, he's a world class 12 and 12 has been a weakness at the chiefs for a number of years now.

though I'm looking forward to him playing for the chiefs if he is going back to league I wish he'd done it this year. Isn't there a rugby league world cup this year 2012? he could have had a go at that.

Nope, it's in 2013, so he'll be right on time;). I don't mind if he plays for the kiwis in the RLWC, he's at least the best in his position there, and the credit he has got there is well earned. Plus the kiwis need SBW more than the AB's need him.

Last edited:
In fairness, you can not like the guy for being a mercenary, but to me he's coming across as ambitious and driven.

Being a star in the NRL means you are a ****ing talented player. A hell of a lot of talented NRL stars have gone to Union and been good but not great - and SBW would walk in to any team in the world right now at 12 (besides Ma'a Nonu). Not to mention being a good boxer as well - no Lennox Lewis and never will be, but he's not shabby either.

It's clear he knows how talented he is, and wants to engineer himself the best possible challenges to it. Life's not always that easy, which is why the Crusaders didn't win Super Rugby and why he wasn't 1st choice for the ABs, but he wanted to win those two ***les in 2011 more than he wanted to sit around counting money in Toulon.

I can't work out why he's moved to the Chiefs - money may have something to do with it but it's NZ so I can't think there's that much floating around. Maybe wanting to see what difference he can make to an average team? Don't know, but again it would be easy for him to be playing in France or Japan right now.

If I were him, I'd have a serious effort to win the Super Rugby ***le, which may have been a better option at Crusaders, but there you go. There's the Tri Nations that he should play a part in too. Then it would make sense to go and sign for Manly or a big NRL club and have a real push at winning the 2013 ***le, and then world cup. Then I'd go and sign for Toulouse and stay in France earning money until I'd won the Heineken Cup, at which point I'd have a think about boxing. He's got the world at his feet - there's not a single side who won't have him if they can afford him, and he'd be one of the most decorated sportsmen in history - in not just one, but two sports.

I can't work out why he's moved to the Chiefs - money may have something to do with it but it's NZ so I can't think there's that much floating around. Maybe wanting to see what difference he can make to an average team? Don't know, but again it would be easy for him to be playing in France or Japan right now.

Wages are on a set scale in New Zealand so he would get paid the same wherever he went. Money wasn't an issue

-He wanted to be closer to his family in Auckland
-From a personal safety aspect he was worried (rightly or wrongly) about staying in earthquakesville
-He has a very close bond with Wayne Smith and knows he would implement a backline attack that would play to his personal strengths
-The South Island sides are the most rigidly structured in the country, so his "have a go and see what happens" mentality didn't fit in as well as it could in the North Island sides
-As good as Robbie Fruean was an is, having Kahui outside him was a much more enticing option
-(Speculation) He enjoys being the star of the show and he had a real fight on his hands for the limelight at the Crusaders.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the cash strapped NZRU had a word to him and gently hinted that he should try for another side. SBW sells merchandise and draws crowds like few others in the game; with a hugely successful side, absolute stars in McCaw, Carter, Reid etc and a smaller venue, the Crusaders are probably at maximum market penetration as it is. SBWs pulling power would be wasted.
Now he is moving to a traditionally underperforming franchise with a relatively low turnout. The NZRU really win with this move.