• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland Autumn test squad 2018

Some background on them in this article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45888967

Blade Thomson is a loose forward for the Scarlets effectively replacing John Barclay. He was being lauded in one early season game for Scarlets and seems okay. Given Barclay's age he'll be a good option for Scotland to test out.

Don't know Sam Skinner, like Blade I'm not sure if he has ever set foot in Scotland.

I'm happy enough with Sam Johnsons inclusion as a last hurrah for the three year residency rule. He has been living and playing in Scotland for near on four years and is quite an eye-catchingly mobile centre. Personally I think his distribution is a bit lacking when I've seen him and he doesn't have the defensive ability of a Dunbar. Scotland are pretty stacked at centre really, so unlike Blade, I dont expect to see him at the RWC unless there is an injury crisis.

If you are a fan of Scottishness rugby you should be checking out the Pro14. Both Scottish sides pretty entertaining these days and filled with internationals.

Blade Thompson is an excellent player, who's capable of being world class imo. Needs a run of injury free games to fulfil that talent, but I could easily see him slotting into Scotland's world cup squad with the ability to play 4,5,6 & 8 (though he's only featured in the back row for Scarlets thus far).

He's very much a modern loose forward, quick, powerful, explosive, great hands. He's at his best when he roams the wide channels, and he puts in some thumping hits in defence as well.

Latest posts