• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland Squad Announced For The 6 Nations

GarethGriffiths

Academy Player
Shamelessly 'borrowed' from The Daily Telegraph:

Uncapped Edinburgh prop Murray McCallum has been included in Scotland's NatWest Six Nations squad.

The 21-year-old has won a call-up amid a selection crisis in Gregor Townsend's front row which sees Fraser Brown miss out through injury.

Full-back Stuart Hogg is in the squad despite an ongoing hip problem.

Scotland's problems in the front row also see uncapped Glasgow prop D'Arcy Rae included and Jon Welsh and Scott Lawson recalled following several years out of the reckoning.

Full-back Blair Kinghorn and scrum-half Nathan Fowles complete a quartet of uncapped players in Townsend's 40-man pool.

Scotland's full Six Nation's squad

BACKS

Mark Bennett (Edinburgh Rugby)
Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors)
Nick Grigg (Glasgow Warriors)
Chris Harris (Newcastle Falcons)
Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors)
Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors)
Ruaridh Jackson (Glasgow Warriors)
Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors)
Lee Jones (Glasgow Warriors)
Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh Rugby)
Greig Laidlaw (ASM Clermont Auvergne)
Sean Maitland (Saracens)
Byron McGuigan (Sale Sharks)
Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors)
Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors)
Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors)
Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors)
Duncan Taylor (Saracens)
Nathan Fowles (Edinburgh Rugby)

FORWARDS

John Barclay CAPTAIN (Scarlets)
Simon Berghan (Edinburgh Rugby)
Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors)
Magnus Bradbury (Edinburgh Rugby)
David Denton (Worcester Warriors)
Cornell Du Preez (Edinburgh Rugby)
Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby)
Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors)
Richie Gray (Toulouse)
Luke Hamilton (Leicester Tigers)
Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors)
Scott Lawson (Newcastle Falcons)
Murray McCallum (Edinburgh Rugby)
Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby)
Gordon Reid (London Irish)
D'arcy Rae (Glasgow Warriors)
Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby)
George Turner (Glasgow Warriors)
Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby)
Jon Welsh (Newcastle Falcons)
Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors)

Wonder if Scotland will come down to earth with a bump this year? They've had a good couple of years, but will that come to an end? I have to add quickly before my throat is ripped out, I dont wish them any ill will, but its just that karma does seem to come round to all teams eventualy.

How is it Karma?
If anything their good results are karma cause they've had plenty of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory games in the past

How is it Karma?
If anything their good results are karma cause they've had plenty of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory games in the past
They beat Wales last year and it was nowt but luck!

Hope the Scots have a disaster tournament, want em on a nice low ebb for 2019, they're our biggest rivals til then and I wish em nothing but bad luck! Nothing personal!

Hope the Scots have a disaster tournament, want em on a nice low ebb for 2019, they're our biggest rivals til then and I wish em nothing but bad luck! Nothing personal!

LOL well dont hold back Bro, say it as it is!

I like scotland, always been the underdog in this competition and struggled to get close to winning, im english and hope they dont win but its good to see them being competative.

Has every 6n team got an 'Injury crisis'? Seems like its all i read

I like scotland, always been the underdog in this competition and struggled to get close to winning, im english and hope they dont win but its good to see them being competative.

Has every 6n team got an 'Injury crisis'? Seems like its all i read

Pretty much every team has an injury list.

Home advantage is massive. Wales have shown time after time that they are a different animal at the Principality. In theory Scotland could quite conceivably come away with just two wins (France and Italy) but that wouldn't necessarily be an indicator of lack of progress under GT. For me the first game against Wales will be a campaign definer. Win that and Scotland could potentially finish in the top 3.

Home advantage is massive. Wales have shown time after time that they are a different animal at the Principality. In theory Scotland could quite conceivably come away with just two wins (France and Italy) but that wouldn't necessarily be an indicator of lack of progress under GT. For me the first game against Wales will be a campaign definer. Win that and Scotland could potentially finish in the top 3.

I think the Scots are going to have a bloody good go at England too. Gregor Townsend will have them well pumped up (as if he'd need to do much motivating) and if they (England) aren't at their best, they will find themselves well and truly up against it.

Scotland will do well to get two wins. I actually think they are marginally more likely to get the wooden spoon than get two wins. They are picking kids, nobodies and geriatrics in their front row. That's probably less fatal than in years gone by, but even Italy should bully the hell out of them up front and dominate the set piece. A real shame for the tournament really, but cest la vie.

I see Richie Grey is ruled out as well. Not good new for Scotland although Wales have their fair share of injuries.

Team v Wales:

15. Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors)
14. Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors)
13. Chris Harris (Newcastle Falcons)
12: Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors)
11. Byron McGuigan (Sale Sharks)
10. Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors)
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors)

8. Cornell Du Preez (Edinburgh Rugby)
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby)
6. John Barclay CAPTAIN (Scarlets)
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors)
4. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby)
3. Jon Welsh (Newcastle Falcons)
2. Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby)
1. Gordon Reid (London Irish)

16. Scott Lawson (Newcastle Falcons)
17. Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors)
18. Murray McCallum (Edinburgh Rugby)
19. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby)
20. Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors)
21. Greig Laidlaw (ASM Clermont Auvergne)
22. Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors)
23. Sean Maitland (Saracens)

Backs look decent although I don't know too much about Chris Harris, as well as the back row which is strong. That front row could be a worry though with two very green props coming off the bench.

Backs look decent although I don't know too much about Chris Harris, as well as the back row which is strong. That front row could be a worry though with two very green props coming off the bench.

I look at that front row with Reid and Welsh, and just think it's going to be a penalty fest. I must admit I also don't see them playing a significant part in some of our dynamic attacking play the way someone like Bhatti or Berghan would.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Halfpenny kick over 20 or 25 points against us. Scotland will hopefully (for me anyway) score tries off of turnovers with the back row and the explosiveness of the back line, but I can see the Scarlets backs being strong defensively. Not feeling too confident as a Scot going into this game.

I'll be interested to see how Huw Jones does at 12, haven't seen him play there before and he won't have the extra space he exploits so well from 13

Same luck as we whipped the Paddies ?

8 of the starting 15 weren't born in Scotland, Christ.

Particularly disappointed to see Chris Harris. Scotland have loads of depths centre and I think some of them are actually Scottish.

8 is the cut off for me. A minority of the starting team born in Scotland brings the sport into disrepute in my eyes and means I'll actively be cheering on the Welsh here.

Latest posts