• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland v France

No it's not. you just don't know them.
This game will be so interesting I can't wait to watch it. Trinh Duc as fly half painlfully reminds me of a youg talent named Michalak, who never really became the international star we expected. I'm scared to death as I'm pretty sure the tournament will be either all-shite or all good. And the scots game is a key one.

Can't wait for this one, I'm heading up to Edinburgh to watch it with some mates, should be a cracker.

Not keen on Paterson starting on the bench though...

Scotland team: R Lamont (Sale Sharks); N Walker (Ospreys), N De Luca (Edinburgh), A Henderson (Glasgow Warriors), S Webster (Edinburgh); D Parks (Glasgow Warriors), M Blair (Edinburgh); A Jacobsen (Edinburgh), R Ford (Edinburgh), E Murray (Northampton Saints), N Hines (Perpignan), J Hamilton (Leicester Tigers), J White (Sale Sharks, captain), J Barclay (Glasgow Warriors), D Callam (Edinburgh).

Replacements: F Thomson (Glasgow Warriors), G Kerr (Edinburgh), S MacLeod (Llanelli Scarlets), K Brown (Glasgow Warriors), C Cusiter (Perpignan), C Paterson (Gloucester), H Southwell (Edinburgh).

<div class='quotemain'>
Scotland are not really a significant rugby nation in my view.
[/b]
:D :D :D :D :D

Lol, ohhh man I should put that one in my signature

Buy a rugby history book mate
[/b][/quote]

Yup im going to keep it for when Scotland beat England :lol:

Can't wait for this one, I'm heading up to Edinburgh to watch it with some mates, should be a cracker.

Not keen on Paterson starting on the bench though...

Scotland team: R Lamont (Sale Sharks); N Walker (Ospreys), N De Luca (Edinburgh), A Henderson (Glasgow Warriors), S Webster (Edinburgh); D Parks (Glasgow Warriors), M Blair (Edinburgh); A Jacobsen (Edinburgh), R Ford (Edinburgh), E Murray (Northampton Saints), N Hines (Perpignan), J Hamilton (Leicester Tigers), J White (Sale Sharks, captain), J Barclay (Glasgow Warriors), D Callam (Edinburgh).

Replacements: F Thomson (Glasgow Warriors), G Kerr (Edinburgh), S MacLeod (Llanelli Scarlets), K Brown (Glasgow Warriors), C Cusiter (Perpignan), C Paterson (Gloucester), H Southwell (Edinburgh).
[/b]

Paterson I can understand - he doesnt offer much aside from his goal kicking and Parks aint to shabby there either. If he wants to play then he has to prove he has something to offer that Parks/Walker/Webster/Lamont dont have.

What I dont agree with is Callam at No.8 - id put him at probably 4th choice behind Beattie and Hogg, as well as probably Brown (although not much in it there)

But still, what a great feeling it is being able to debate the scotland line up again! :D

And as for "Scotland are not really a significant rugby nation in my view." - Maybe thats the view your team took when they kept blowing grand slams at murrayfield! ;)

And as for "Scotland are not really a significant rugby nation in my view." - Maybe thats the view your team took when they kept blowing grand slams at murrayfield! ;)

[/b]

Kept blowing Grand slams? i count only 1 at murrayfield.

I can think of 2 last day ones (1990, 2000) and numerous ones that have come off the rails early (2006 being the most recent, soon to be 2008 ;))

I can think of 2 last day ones (1990, 2000) and numerous ones that have come off the rails early (2006 being the most recent, soon to be 2008 ;) ) [/b]

2006 was the worst one for me. Our pack had the scots beat. Your scrum was going backwards when we only had 7 men, but early indiscipline allowed Scotland a slim lead and some great scottish defence and some of the most woeful backplay in history stopped us getting a lead before our heads started dropping with 20 mins to go. So many bombed opportunities.

Both sides have improved since. Scotland were a poor side then and England lacked direction and composure.

<div class='quotemain'> I can think of 2 last day ones (1990, 2000) and numerous ones that have come off the rails early (2006 being the most recent, soon to be 2008 ;) ) [/b]

2006 was the worst one for me. Our pack had the scots beat. Your scrum was going backwards when we only had 7 men, but early indiscipline allowed Scotland a slim lead and some great scottish defence and some of the most woeful backplay in history stopped us getting a lead before our heads started dropping with 20 mins to go. So many bombed opportunities.

Both sides have improved since. Scotland were a poor side then and England lacked direction and composure.
[/b][/quote]

Yea it was a pretty scruffy match but the Scottish defense was incredible, constantly driving the English back. Hogg should have made it more comfortably anyway when he was bundled into touch a foot from the line.

Paterson I can understand - he doesnt offer much aside from his goal kicking and Parks aint to shabby there either. If he wants to play then he has to prove he has something to offer that Parks/Walker/Webster/Lamont dont have.[/b]

Personally I'd put Paterson in any Scotland XV, the man is simply a spot kicking machine. At the World Cup it was Scotland's great kicking ability which got us out of the group stages in that close run thing with Italy, with Paterson going 6 for 6 in comparison to Bortolussi's 3 for 6. It was also vital to Scottish victories over England and France in the Six Nations 2006, results we should cross our fingers for at Murrayfield this year.

I am not saying that the Scottish game should be focused around Paterson. However when there are so many points to be had from penalties and conversions, all of which can be delivered on the selection of one player, that player should be starting on the pitch.

But still, what a great feeling it is being able to debate the scotland line up again! :D[/b]

Isn't it just?

:)

ok, i take your point about him being instrumental in the victories over Italy, England and France, and if you would put him in your team then fair enough - I probably would aswell tbh. However, I can also see good reason for not picking him; He doesnt offer as much as others during open play, while Parks isnt too shabby a kicker either (lets not forget he only missed one effort at the WC, and that was from the half way line). And add to that the fact Parks has been playing (and well) for Glasgow this season, while Patterson hasnt really been a regular starter at Gloucster.

Out of interest, where would you put him? would you let him play at stand-off or would you play him on the wing/at FB?

and as for strength in depth, Ive just seen an alternative starting XV - and apart from Di Rollover I wouldnt be atall disapointed to see that team taking to the field on saturday! :eek: Genuine competition in all positions (espc. back row) can only be a good thing for scottish rugby!

Breaking news: Fritz is out for the entire tournament.

His substitute will be known tomorrow... Marty, Cabannes, Poitrenaud or Bastareaud are the 'favorites'.

Paterson's omission isn't surprising. Doesn't do that much other than goal kicking and hasn't had alot of game time down south with Gloucester.

Was Ally Hogg injured? I just find it weird that he's not in the 22. I would have said he was a better option than Barclay for this one.

Callam has come on leaps and bouns this year, so it'll be interesting to see how he fares on Sunday.

De Luca to start at 13 as expected. Strong, fast, excellent skills. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does along side Henderson.

Other than that, no real surprise or changes.

Servat was the best hooker in France before his injuries (better than Ibanez imo...) he's now in good form again and his cap is deserved, he was pretty good with Toulouse in Top 14 & H-Cup. Plus Szarszeski on the bench maybe a good impact player.

Faure, don't know much about him but I heard that he pushed Sheridan on the bench at Sale. If it's the case, I believe he's really good.

Brugnaut... I know that Dax has a strong scrum, but I can't say more.

Anyway, this match will be very, very interesting ;)
[/b]

if think we are going to lose; cause such young team in scotland
it would be hard for rookie;faure brugnaut to start! bad day for french scrum i thnik

Breaking news: Fritz is out for the entire tournament.

His substitute will be known tomorrow... Marty, Cabannes, Poitrenaud or Bastareaud are the 'favorites'. [/b]
I know it's Marty to replace him, but what's happened to Baby?

He had 2-3 injuries over the past 2 years, he never really recovered his form. He moved from from Toulouse to Clermont this year, but out there he does not play much: Joubert, Canale or Baï are ahead him.

It's sad for this very promising player. I hope he will recover his full form... especially because we are poor in centre in France.

IMO it's a good tactical choice having Mossy on the bench, allows the team to cover if Dan Parks returns to his previous faux pas of not being able to find touch, if Simon Webster manages to get injured again or if De Luca buckles under the pressure.
I think it's good there is a variety of young back rowers too, Ally Hogg; sure he's a mainstay and he's doing an amazing job at Edinburgh but if he's constatly in the 8 shirt then guys like Barclay etc. won't be as prepared for if he gets injured.

It's good to see France aren't using Chabal also I think. It allows the plethora of France's back row talent to show itself without having to play themselves down around SeaBass. It also stops snotty English fans from saying something to the effect of 'France only play well now if Chabal is playing', which would be ironic because the majority of the world feels the same about and a certain left footed young man.

Not to sound bitter or anything.

Alain Rolland will now ref this match after Paul Honnis had to go home due to a family illness.

Latest posts