• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SET PLAYS

J

jimmy44

I am having my doubts about the effectivemess of set plays - I am playing as Bath in the Guiness Premiership and most of the time when I try a set play I either get turned over or the set play gets me nowhere. Now some have said setplays work this year and really are effective at getting ground but I am yet to see it. So far they are too much of a risk to pull off, as the ball can get turned over so easily.

May be I'm missding a trick? Is there a particular technique for initialising a set play from the ruck? I tend to try and get a few men in the ruck first then flick the left analogue stick in the desired direction, but it doesn't always work and sometimes the triangle doesn't even flash at all. In one game in the second half the set plays stopped working altogether, i.e I could never get the triangle to flash! Should I be flicking the analogue stick before adding men to the ruck?

Any tips would be great!

Cheers :bravo:

i thought u had to hit the d-pad directions to activate set-plays

thats what it was in 2005 - has this changed - i dont have 2006 yet

Wondered what youd been up to ak!Thought you would hav the game foe sure! In 2005 you initialisd them with the d pad, but the triangle only flashes if there are enough backs to pull it off. If its not flashing hit it up with a couple of forwards to make sure there are enough backs free.

Is ther anywhere you can practice them? How do you know what each one does.

Originally posted by CeeJay@Feb 13 2006, 11:01 AM
Wondered what youd been up to ak!Thought you would hav the game foe sure! In 2005 you initialisd them with the d pad, but the triangle only flashes if there are enough backs to pull it off. If its not flashing hit it up with a couple of forwards to make sure there are enough backs free.

You can practice them in Practice Mode.

Am having the same problem with set plays - though will try as you have suggested.

Originally posted by jonwebb+Feb 13 2006, 04:36 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-CeeJay
@Feb 13 2006, 11:01 AM

You can practice them in Practice Mode. [/b]
No becauase in practice mode you have as much time as you like to initiate them therefore you can't practice timing. Any tips for playing in game?
Cheers

To see what each of them does, go to squad management under My Rugby, and select any team.

Once there there should be an option to go to set plays, which brings up a list of the 8 set plays you can choose. Use up, down and left & right to view them on the chalk board

I've scored a number of tries from set plays...the trick is to get your momentum gauge filled up. This way you have a better chance of retaining the ball. I do think they work though

Originally posted by Quintes@Feb 14 2006, 03:12 AM
I've scored a number of tries from set plays...the trick is to get your momentum gauge filled up. This way you have a better chance of retaining the ball. I do think they work though
Ah thats a good point didn't think about momentum - how do you work the timing? Do you put men into the ruck first or flick the analogue stick immediately the tackle is made?

Originally posted by CeeJay@Feb 14 2006, 10:14 AM
Does it actually say anythng in the manual about building momentum.
no but it does in the tutorial

the booklet is very basic

like all other EA games

So it is definately possible to build momentum and hold the ball without putting hands in the ruck?

Also, has the dropgoal bug been fixed, where the opposition just goes for drop goals evrytime they are in your end. In05, this made sure that that you never got any tries against you.

Originally posted by CeeJay@Feb 14 2006, 11:17 AM
So it is definately possible to build momentum and hold the ball without putting hands in the ruck?

Also, has the dropgoal bug been fixed, where the opposition just goes for drop goals evrytime they are in your end. In05, this made sure that that you never got any tries against you.
yeah have seen few drop goals from AI

mainly from teams with a kicking obsession

and mainly if u hold them out

u will get tries scored against u.................its a part of life now...defense is really hard in 2006..........dive tackling all day will get u pumped by 13+ every game

yeah they still drop goal....

RWC Quarter-Final: Fiji (me) v England

3-3 at 74 mins and England were baying at my door, hammering my defensive line, but I kept them out and actually knocked them back... they wanted the try bad!... that is until I pounded one guy too much and knocked the ball on

... scrum to England, its now 80mins on the clock - they powered me back (they did this consistently), ellis wips the ball out to Hodgson who had dropped back to the pocket - NO! not a drop goal! - but yeah he popped it over and Fiji were out of the RWC

so to summarize, they tried they're best to clinch the game with a proper score, but once in the right position with time having run out, they were ruthless

(didn't feel too aggieved tho, it was a great game despite the low score and I had come through a group with Ireland & France, knocking les Bleus out)

Sounds realistic to me mate apart form the fact that Fiji were taking England to the wire in the world cup you little 06 rugby god :p

Originally posted by jimmy44+Feb 13 2006, 07:53 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Quintes
@Feb 14 2006, 03:12 AM
Ah thats a good point didn't think about momentum - how do you work the timing? Do you put men into the ruck first or flick the analogue stick immediately the tackle is made? [/b]
I get a couple of guys into the ruck first and then activate the setplay. I keep an eye on the "control" gauge above the ruck too because sometimes you have all the control and then "WACK" they use a hand...turnover....it happens quite often but the ref doesn't always spot them... Last night in my 2nd knockout match on elite vs Perpignan the ref yellowed 2 of their players for hands in the first 20 mins. I was caught once but wasn't sent off? Not consistent at all. At one point they nicked my ball and I knicked it right back. What I do sometimes when isolated I hold on for a second or two. It works occasionally but not all the time.

There was a couple of times they went for a drop goal being 46 - 16 down after the 50th min ?? In a knockout... That's not too clever I don't think.

I think the game is built on a fantastic engine but I hope I am not starting to see what I think could be the cracks. There was a couple of things last night that made me concerned about how error free the game is. I know it is a bit off topic but I am on a roll...let me explain (please bear in mind my thoughts here are on the events of one match only so it is not nearly a final opinion on the game):

AI DEFENCE It could be that because of their earlier disciplinary issues the AI just didn't play as well but the defence was poor. A throw in the middle of the line with a tap to my scrumhalf swinging the ball out to the flyhalf resulted in a try 3 times with there being a massive gap right in front and to the right of him.

I scored this one brilliant try after hammering their line with forwards just to see on the replay, one of their team mates randomly standing about on their 10-metre line doing nothing but standing facing my line and obciously leaving a gap in the defence...this took away what I thought was a great try.

Then I spotted the same sort of thing again later. There was a scrum in the middle of the picth and one of their men just stood their binded to an invisible scrum all this while I am working my way up the field??

Goal kicking
I got a penalty and decided to go for goal just for the sake of it. This was 45 metres out against a strong wind, the ball dropped 5m short and bounced right in front of their players, I was running up expecting to see their players picking it up and running or at least doing something with it but nothing...Nawali calmly strolled up an picked up the ball and only then they jumped on him, basically pulling him over the line and scoring under the posts ???

I converted a try that would've been miss if I was half as near the accuracy thingy on the goal kick metre in 2005 as I was on this occasion?

Handling in the ruck
There was once right in front of my posts where I got penalised for hands but I wasn't near the button, I swear ref...I wonder if this has something to do with your player's discipline stats but surely then my players should score tries without me having to control them?? Don't think I bought the game so it can play itself...

Quick line outs
It all went ***s up for the AI as they attempted a quick throw in near their line...intercepion..SCORE....this happened not once but TWICE

The Laws
Shoot me if I am wrong here but if you kick a ball over the opponents dead line the opponent gets a 22m drop kick not a 5m scrum

Scrums
It happened several times where the aI took the ball against the head but then it didn't come out at all.

Sorry bout the essay and I am not trying to ruin the game for those who hasn't got it yet, it is a great game and like I say this was one 20 minute match on Elite - PC. It would be apity though if this fantastic game are riddled with sh*t like this throughout...

Your thoughts??

Well most of those sound like bugs that ive come to expect from rugby games. Apart from the gap up the middle, thats a potential spoiler. If you kick the ball across your opponents line from outside your 22 its a scrum to the other team back were you kicked iy, otherwise its a 22 drop out. (i think anyway)

I think the set-plays work really well the only one i ahve trouble implementing is the crossfield kick the only time you get enuf time to set it up is form a line out maul and i dont think iv caught the ball once lol any hints on these cos its would b a really cool move to pull off

they do work now and again, but it suffers from the same problem as R2005, viz, that the outside half often just trots straights into the defence before he can execute the move.

I am often reluctant to use the backs due to the almost inevitable turnovers, I find it better to offload to forwards, recycling until you get a gap to exploit.

Latest posts