• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Shaggys Blog

FlukeArtist

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Blues
I'm an Aucklander, and I coudln't have cared less whether we got the games that Chch can't hold.

But the brass tacks of it all is that there is nowhere else to hold them.
You can't go putting games in places where they cannot accomodate the tickets that have already been sold.

NZ has a fairly prevalent anti-Auckland undercurrent. This won't be helping matters! ;)

In regards to the America's Cup; Auckland was where it always should have been held. The majority of the people involved in team NZ were from Auckland, and we ARE the City of Sails. That one was a no-brainer.

I'm an Aucklander, and I coudln't have cared less whether we got the games that Chch can't hold.

But the brass tacks of it all is that there is nowhere else to hold them.
You can't go putting games in places where they cannot accomodate the tickets that have already been sold.

NZ has a fairly prevalent anti-Auckland undercurrent. This won't be helping matters! ;)

In regards to the America's Cup; Auckland was where it always should have been held. The majority of the people involved in team NZ were from Auckland, and we ARE the City of Sails. That one was a no-brainer.

Appreciate your honest FlukeArtist, and yeah, I know what you mean about the anti-Auckland undercurrent, and it isn't my intention to stir up anymore ... as I said I in the Blog, we all no that the big games that have sold more tickets than a potential replacement venue can hold, but does North Harbour stadium hold more than the new stadium in Dunedin? ... the skeptic in me is a little suspicious when the two best games of the remaining five, are reported as likely to be heading to Rugby World Cup minister, Murray McCully's electorate :)

Obviously the Americas Cup had to be held in one place as it's the nature of the sport, I was merely using it as an illustration of lack of incentive for sporting tourists to move out of a region to see the rest of New Zealand, when there's no incentive to do so.

Auckland is indeed the City of Sails, but they do sail in other parts of New Zealand you know ;)

Last edited:
/FrontpageNewsBannersandMisc/2011/shaggyblog.jpg

When does New Zealandââ'¬â"¢s Rugby World Cup cease to be about a Stadium of 4 million, and more about a Stadium of 1.3 Million?

The catch cry from New Zealand Rugby World Cup promoters is ââ'¬Å"a Stadium of 4 Millionââ'¬Â meaning that all New Zealanders will get behind and support the event, regardless of where the games are being played.

In terms of financial backing, this is certainly the case, with the New Zealand Government, (New Zealand tax payers) under writing the expected loss generated by the event.

In terms of emotional buy in and support, yes the majority of us New Zealanders are going to support the Rugby World Cup regardless of where the games are played.

If we look at the games with regard to tourist dollars however, this is where I see the stadium size shrinking from 4 Million to somewhere closer to the greater Auckland areas population of 1.3 Million, as the event becomes more and more Auckland centric.

Most New Zealanders realise what a difficult, but probably correct decision it was to take Christchurchââ'¬â"¢s Seven games from them, and even that the two biggest games (the two quarter finals), had to go to a venue that could accommodate the ticket sales that had already been made, which really only left Auckland and Wellington as options, and Wellington is already hosting the other quarter final matches on the same day, so Wellington wasnââ'¬â"¢t really a viable logistical option, so yes, Auckland is left as the only viable option.

Where the issue gets contentious for me is what happens to the remaining five games, and in particular, the two bigger pool games, England V Argentina, and Australia V Italy.

Many are advocating, rumours abound with articles appearing on the Radio NZ website, that these two matches should now be played at North Harbour Stadium ââ'¬â€œ these people are, what I like to call ââ'¬Å"Wrongââ'¬Â
biggrin.gif

Every effort should be made to keep all five of these games in the South Island, with Dunedin being the beneficiary of two larger pool games if they have the only stadium with the capacity to hold them.

By geographically spreading the games throughout New Zealand, it truly does make the event a New Zealand event, and provides the Rugby tourist with the incentive and the opportunity to see much more of New Zealand, and not just a particular region of New Zealand. The tourist dollars get spread geographically too.

If we look at this from the people that have lost out the most (Christchurch), retaining these games in the South Island makes sense, as Christchurch is the central spot in the South Island, so they are bound to get some benefit from the fans passing North to South, and South to North.

For those Cantabrians that have been hit hard financially by the quakes, and hold tickets to these matches already, itââ'¬â"¢s also a cheaper travel option if the South Island retains the games, rather than traveling to the North Island.

My opinion might be seen by some as anti-Auckland region, but thatââ'¬â"¢s not the way I intend it to be, although you are, through no fault of your own, starting to resemble the fat kid who eat all the pies
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I could just as easily have been advocating as many games as possible stay in the North of the Country, had some disaster made it necessary for Aucklandââ'¬â"¢s games, with Christchurch being the major beneficiary.

A clustered event is not as good for the whole country as one thatââ'¬â"¢s geographically split, and weââ'¬â"¢ve seen this before in New Zealand with the Americas Cup Yachting regattas of the 1990ââ'¬â"¢s, while most of New Zealand got behind Team New Zealand, the beneficiaries in terms of tourist dollars, was the host region, and not the rest of New Zealand.

As my final words on this blog, I want to make a disclaimer of sorts ââ'¬â€œ I am not a Politician that will gain any advantage by these games being played anywhere in particular, Iââ'¬â"¢m not employed by a tourism board, I am unlikely to see any RWC game live, no matter where itââ'¬â"¢s played ââ'¬Â¦ In short, I have no vested interest in where these games are played ââ'¬â€œ If you are going to New Zealand to see these games,have a great time, and I hope you get to see as much off the country you possibly can, itââ'¬â"¢s a great place.

I get that you mean man. Wellington actually hasn't got it all that great. We have one All Blacks match, and one quater final, with 7 matches in total being played in Wellington. Compare that to Auckland, and it's fairly little.

Shaggy,

I reckon what will eventually happen is that out of teh other 5 games (QFs excluded) that the ones that don't exceed Dunedin's capacity will go to Dunedin.

The games like Eng- Arg will probably move to Eden Park if the tickets sales have exceeded Dunner's capacity.

Oh, and yeah I know the rest of the country sale- but where are you going to put the America's cup if not the Waitemata Harbour (with all the resoucres of the Viaduct etc).
Auckland was the only place bro ;)

Shaggy,

I reckon what will eventually happen is that out of teh other 5 games (QFs excluded) that the ones that don't exceed Dunedin's capacity will go to Dunedin.

The games like Eng- Arg will probably move to Eden Park if the tickets sales have exceeded Dunner's capacity.

Oh, and yeah I know the rest of the country sale- but where are you going to put the America's cup if not the Waitemata Harbour (with all the resoucres of the Viaduct etc).
Auckland was the only place bro ;)

Sure, I agree, Auckland's definitely the place for the Americas Cup - I've read a couple of articles about packages to assist Christchurch ticket holders to the new venues, bulk payment to Christchurch etc ... it's all good to hear ... it's a shame that one of the pool games for the All Blacks wasn't scheduled for the South Island, at least they'd have some sort of game presence then - are well, 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing ... I guess it's a case of overcoming these obstacles, making a good, quick decision on the new venues for the games, and actually getting to watch a great tournament, from here on in

Latest posts