• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sidhe's Rugby Challenge

ok, i've had a look at the two gameplay vids of RC and have come up with my own opinion based on watching gameplay and potential seen (obviously actual gameplay may differ but i can only comment on that once i've played it).

Firstly, the graphics and engine look great!!(backbreakers europhim? would have made it awesome) The flow of the game seems smooth and runs well from set-piece to open play. Running angles of AI look very good but 2 v 2 with the lads will be amazing as we can control our own angles of running and when to come back on a switch. Also the offload mechanic is the best by far as the player decides whether to take the risk whenever their arms are free. This will also allow some really good running angles from the centres again in 2 v 2 mode.

The Ruck Area, This is the big debate for everyone as in real life, here's my take on it, its awesome (anything can be improved on but its a very good start). please feel free to correct me if im wrong, Firstly the tackle momentum counts, so if your going forward in the tackle you have precedence on the radar, then comes the decision making.. in the vids the quicker the player could get men to the ruck the more chance of retain/turnover..now the interesting bit...if both users decided to pile the ruck (as in most cases in the vids) the one which has the most acendancy on the radar when all the players are in would win the ruck...why is this good...well it makes sure you only contest heavily the rucks you feel you can win or as in the case of the videos gaps will appear out wide. So ruck strategy will come heavily into play when playing more advanced users.. as in real life you should only contest rucks that you can win or you are wasting energy... you should really only contest isolated players or momentum swinging tackles..if the ruck is going to be lost then you can choose to slow it down by adding more players or leave your players in the defensive line which will mean less gaps for the user in possession... okay I know thats a fair bit for some beginners to take in but I know a lot of people in these forums will be licking their lips with decision making available to them at ruck time and the consequences of those decisions will make this game a classic like JLR... as an attacker if you get quick ruck ball and a defender decides not to commit then you play a short game with forwards and keep momentum going until he has to commit more players and then bang you finish him off with the backs... also if you playing a significantly better team then offloads can play a huge part in your success although again that has its risks.

All in all i will be purchasing this game and spending countless hours with the lads (Mrs aint gonna be happy haha) scoring some fantastic tries and having fun with this game which is what rugby and gaming is all about. I cannot wait to play this game and also RWC11 (I have not seen a gameplay vid of this yet so im not going to make comparisions but I will say their promo vid was disappointing)

Well done Mario and the team, hopefully all the guys on here can contribute even more next year in giving you suggestions for another release :) (i have one minor one which i dont expect to be in this game and that is, when a player has been tackled but no other defenders are about to form a ruck can the attacker pass the ball off the floor to the nearest attacker, this would be technically an offload mechanic meaning the ruck mechanic started a second or so later...i know its small but im sure i'll think of a few more after playing RC for a few months)

I will try and do a proper review once I have played the game...thats if i can drag myself off the xbox to do so :)

Darren

Wow, someone that actually understands how the rucks work and the risk vs reward, it seems like a highly modified rugby 08. Which is a good thing, now they just need a must play tutorial to teach people that (you can"t start the a real game untill you play the rucking tutorial (particularly for people who have never played rugby)this would teach people why button mashing in rucks always will leave your defense short or your offense short on players to play the other aspect of rugby(its not smart to go for a turnover all the time). The art of rucking is very deep and it seems with this system even deeper to fully enjoy the game you need to understand this aspect of the game. And it seems like lots of variables will be in place in how we read and react at the ruck, quick, aggressive, how many players to put in, for quicker ball, for stalling to get your defense set, to create a turnover, to mantain possesion, so many choices. A sure to be chess match at the ruck. Love it!!!
Cheers and Salud

Last edited:
Does Dan Carter kick with his right foot on this game? I have seen a gameplay vid and he does in that.

I think it was sealed a long time ago which game I will be buying. Every review just confirms that i believe i have made the right choice. Just need a release date now :D

Sounds very promising again. The fact that the guy pointed out a couple of things he didn't like (minor things) shows that he was of course trying to be very objective and it comes through as a very, very positive overall opinion of how things are shaping.

It also features some obvious signs that Sidhe have listened to their prospective audience. That's always hugely admirable. :)

Great preview!

Yeah that was a pretty insightful preview and a good read. I'm doing my best to suppress my excitement for this game, but my pre-orders in the bag and I can't wait.

all the previews seems good, all the gameplay footage is good only thing missing now is a release date

Wonder if Mario can confirm? How up to date are the squads for teams such as the Ospreys and Canterbury?

So i read that review, and i got 2 questions due to what the journo mentioned in his review.

when talking about the francise mode, he mentioned the Reds, Crusaders and Sharks... if you read it in that context, he surely meant the super 15 South African team the Sharks and not the Sale Sharks... so are the SA teams no in or not????

On the second page he also mentions the Springboks... so are they also in???

or did he just get his facts wrong, and then in that case, how credible is this review then??

So i read that review, and i got 2 questions due to what the journo mentioned in his review.

when talking about the francise mode, he mentioned the Reds, Crusaders and Sharks... if you read it in that context, he surely meant the super 15 South African team the Sharks and not the Sale Sharks... so are the SA teams no in or not????

On the second page he also mentions the Springboks... so are they also in???

or did he just get his facts wrong, and then in that case, how credible is this review then??

Those sides are not in this game. I think if he was referring to them specifically he may well have meant that they can be created in this game and was speaking about them in that capacity.

In most other respects he sounds very credible. :)

Yeah that was a pretty insightful preview and a good read. I'm doing my best to suppress my excitement for this game, but my pre-orders in the bag and I can't wait.

all the previews seems good, all the gameplay footage is good only thing missing now is a release date

I would like to ask a couple of questions regarding the parts in bold.

Kage, where did you pre-order it? I'm in L.A. and I was wondering if there is a good site that I can rep order it at that will ship here to the US

esoj, I agree, I would love a concrete release date. Anyone have any new info in regards to a release date?

Those sides are not in this game. I think if he was referring to them specifically he may well have meant that they can be created in this game and was speaking about them in that capacity.

In most other respects he sounds very credible. :)

Dammit! i was hoping this review was trying to show that Mario and team still have a couple of surprizes in store for us...

Mario can you please just give me a one word answer like you usually do and tell me I'm wrong?

Ah gutted, considering it's coming out after the season starts (presumably) would've thought current rosters

Latest posts