• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sidhe's Rugby Challenge

Got to say its an impressive game.

Both RWC and RC have bits I like and dislike.

Gutted for the people who had to pay £50 for the game, luckily I pre-ordered mine off Game's website.

Rugby Challange Fantasy mode - buying and selling players

can you do it
Can you get the best in the world
can you get anyone

Me, playing "Olympic Soccer" on the PS1, aged 7 or 8. If I was losing I'd change to the other team and score a load of own goals :lol:

LMAO!!! ahaha did the same on "International superstar soccer" on the SuperNes. Good ol days

Just noticed something, anyone see that injuries dont carry between competitions on franchise mode? Xavier Rush got injuried in my 2nd European Cup pool match, was fine for the next match in the Pro 12 then was injured again in the next Euro match.

Been having some epic games on their too. One of my favourite games was one where I was awful for 65 mins vs Glasgow and was 15 - 0 down, finally got a converted try in the corner with Halfpenny, then blitzed them with a length of the field brace from Warburton and in the dying seconds scored an epic solo try with Halfpenny to secure the win and the bonus point :D
Have a habit of going just too far behind to win matches though, lost 21 - 20, 15 - 14 and 19 - 17 in my first 3 Euro matches with me scored a try in the dying seconds of each to get at least the bonus.

Also, Uruguay were a damn hard nut to crack in the World Cup! Thought 'Ah I'll win this no problem', they led for most of the match and I only beat them 14 - 12 with a Gethin Jenkins try in overtime. Had a look at Uruguays other results too - lost 29 - 28 to Ireland and 23 - 19 to England which made me feel better :p they did get trashed 71 - 8 by the All Blacks though...

Got to say I'm really enjoying the game so far. Still finding my feet in it though.Gameplay seems to have good depth. The learning curve is much steeper than RWC and it takes a bit of getting used to, having been so used to HB's games.
I like the rucking in that adding too many players creates gaps and the balance and strategy involved in it. Defending is more difficult than RWC I find- no superman tackles! The defensive line seems that bit slower to set than RWC, making it a bit more realistic there too. Love the inside passes in this game :D

Kicking is good and slick. Being able to drop into the pocket would be nice, as would set plays.
Like the 'hit' aspect of scrummaging and the timing, though the movement of the scrum back and forth is a bit too extreme.
Also like the lineouts. RWC's are too simple IMO. Needs a mauling option though. Like the spontaneous mauling though. Lovely addition.

Fly half can end up in funny places though. The game needs a bit more forward play too. RWC has done quite well here, even if the superman tackles make forward play largely redundant. The fend and side steps are nice, though I'm undecided about the dummies.

Kind of annoying that we can't move the players from provinces to Irish team, but the player models look remarkably similar to the ones in the provinces, but with different names. Only thing I noticed though, when I change the player names, the commentary names aren't read out, just the generic "number 12" etc. Not sure of the reason for this. Gets a bit irritating.

The commentary isn't actually that bad when you're playing the game. Thought I'd have to turn it off but I can live with it. RWC's is probably better though, if more limited. Customisation is fantastic if you have the patience for it. Can't comment on the career really as I haven't played enough of it. I think the graphics are pretty special for what is probably a relatively low budget game. Game looks wonderful.

For some reason there doesn't seem to be a button to perform a defensive touch down? Would be nice to be able to launch the number eight of a scrum too.
That's all I can think of at the moment. There are good and bad points to both games, but based on my limited playing time, RC seems to be the better package, though time will tell as the novelty will wear off to an extent I'm sure.

All in all I really hope that Sidhe and Tru Blu will build on what seems a pretty impressive foundation for future games in a series. I just really hope that I won't be waiting four more years for the next fix. :D

Just noticed something, anyone see that injuries dont carry between competitions on franchise mode? Xavier Rush got injuried in my 2nd European Cup pool match, was fine for the next match in the Pro 12 then was injured again in the next Euro match.

Been having some epic games on their too. One of my favourite games was one where I was awful for 65 mins vs Glasgow and was 15 - 0 down, finally got a converted try in the corner with Halfpenny, then blitzed them with a length of the field brace from Warburton and in the dying seconds scored an epic solo try with Halfpenny to secure the win and the bonus point :D
Have a habit of going just too far behind to win matches though, lost 21 - 20, 15 - 14 and 19 - 17 in my first 3 Euro matches with me scored a try in the dying seconds of each to get at least the bonus.

Also, Uruguay were a damn hard nut to crack in the World Cup! Thought 'Ah I'll win this no problem', they led for most of the match and I only beat them 14 - 12 with a Gethin Jenkins try in overtime. Had a look at Uruguays other results too - lost 29 - 28 to Ireland and 23 - 19 to England which made me feel better :p they did get trashed 71 - 8 by the All Blacks though...

Have you manually edited the names?

My copy of RC was finally despatched on the 13th and takes 4-12 days for delivery.

I returned the copy I hired from the video shop 3 weeks ago. $80 late fee! Luckily they halve fines if payed on return. I should've just bought a bloody copy.

Have you manually edited the names?

Yupp, done the starting XV the replacements and a few of the other squad members. Replaced one of the players I didn't recognise with Gavin Henson too, and edited who I thought was Gavin Thomas into Toby Faletau. Gonna see if I can work out the other squad members too, if not will just change them into what I think are realistic fringe players. Gonna see if I can chuck the edited Welsh internationals into their respective Top14 teams too.
Will attempt the other unlicenced teams at some point or other...

Haha what the?! You can't constantly restart and change teams to but her tries lol. Who does that?!

i know lol, I only butchered one try that was bullshit lol but it was pretty much impossible to beat aus with a 2nd tier team on pro, I felt stink after that though, so I just did it again with NZ on pro and won the world cup the fair way

Just as a front note I am still enjoying this game, Some good things, I like the line outs (Would have been better to be able to create mauls), Like the scrums ( Agree with the comments about the pushing being too extreme), Forward play is pretty redundant as well as set peices. Offloads are way too Often and unrealistic! some of the passing mechanics are strange and un natural. Not been able to take my created team online (Not sure if this is possible or if there is a work around)

Just On licences, RWC has the licence to England, Liknesses, Kit and emblem For the world cup, Out of the world cup they dont have the kit or emblem! so that says to me that that licence is just out there with no one laying claim!

I cant help but think if HB and Sidhe had joined forces, we would have had a complete and unbelivably great Rugby experience!

Still playing and Enjoying both, before anyone jumps on me for being negative!

I agree with most of what OnTheBall said.

What is confusing, is some of the contradictions in gameplay. Lineouts are very sim, but scrums are pure arcade. You can't hang around at a breakdown, but you get an age to aim your kicks.

RWC knows what it is, and is structured and tight. RC is a bag of ideas, but a bit loose. It is good that they are different, and both have areas where they can improve. HB need to expand on what they have, whereas Sidhe need to decide which direction to take.

Am really annoyed not enough copies were made to fill the pre-orders at game have now had to order it off amazon paying €40 more.

Here are my thoughts on RC:

It's fun, but some things are really frustrating:

- Fly-half is never in the pocket, he is buggering around on the wing.

- Why are my forwards in my backline or trying to be backline players? I'm not playing with South Africa circa 2008

- I can't pick up at the base of the scrum with my no.8? Why?

- Can't maul from line-out

- Passing is wack, there is almost never a plain old simple pass. always these extravagant long passes or fancy bullshit.

- Quick grubber without going into slow mo is about useful as a tonsil

The good:

- Graphics is amazing

- It's fun, most of the time.

- Chip kicks

- It's not easy

- Customization is awesome

So much potential, but those little things is a bit disappointing because how did you guys miss seeing these problems when testing it? Or am I just doing something wrong that I'm getting weird passes and a screwed up backline?

Thoughts guys?

Latest posts