• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] - Ireland

I would say that Jacksons just as good a player but Sextons leadership and organisation that gives him the edge. With Jacko at ten in the Australia game our backs were ignored at many moments and the tries were more individual moments of brilliance than tactical domination.
Obviously Jacko has they physical edge but Sexton brings a great mental game and the players surely have great faith in him.

Yeah, agreed, more of a Lions comment really. Best is part of the problem though. How are Scannell's darts?
Best's throwing used to be horrendous, and we'd pick him in spite of the throwing. Much better now, but never perfect. Scannell has a very nice through, but can be liable to the occasional overthrow, which will be coached out before long. He's very good all round

Agreed Scannell is probably better lineout operator but not complete package.

Best's throwing is fine unless something gets inside his head. I imagine a lineout that doesn't move will get inside a hooker's head.

I suspect if you want to know how a lineout with the exact same personnel gets 93% success in 2014 and 80ish% in 2016 you look at the coach. In 2014, it was John Plumtree. 2016, Simon Easterby.

From a Lions perspective, I'm expecting him to perform with Borthwick there unless his confidence is shredded.

Best's throwing is fine unless something gets inside his head. I imagine a lineout that doesn't move will get inside a hooker's head.

I suspect if you want to know how a lineout with the exact same personnel gets 93% success in 2014 and 80ish% in 2016 you look at the coach. In 2014, it was John Plumtree. 2016, Simon Easterby.

From a Lions perspective, I'm expecting him to perform with Borthwick there unless his confidence is shredded.

The cowardly @big ginger 8 alluded to the lack of POM for most those games too, he wouldn't be one for letting opposition up in front of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImageUploadedByRugby Forum1486060433.257872.jpg
Just in from the puppet master

The cowardly @big ginger 8 alluded to the lack of POM for most those games too, he wouldn't be one for letting opposition up in front of him.

This is the bigger issue. With POM you had 3 natural lineout guys playing.
Before you had Toner. At that height is obviously a weapon.
Paul O'Connell fully fit. Argubally 1 of best lineout men of all time.
And POM a quality international level lineout jumper on defensive line-out as well as offensive.

Now you have Toner not as effective as there is heaps more pressure and lack of other options means he's marked.
Ryan/Dillane/Henderson aren't as good at lineout and no natural 3rd option. You get likes of SOB Heaslip and Stander jumping but they're awkward looking and not natural.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the bigger issue. With POM you had 3 natural lineout guys playing.
Before you had Toner. At that height is obviously a weapon.
Paul O'Connell fully fit. Argubally 1 of best lineout men of all time.
And POM a quality international level lineout jumper on defensive line-out as well as offensive.

Now you have Toner not as effective as there is heaps more pressure and lack of other options means he's marked.
Ryan/Dillane/Henderson aren't as good at lineout and no natural 3rd option. You get likes of SOB Heaslip and Stander jumping but they're awkward looking and not natural.

Do you mind commenting on the cowardice there too??

Latest posts