• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Skelton Jr signs for the Chiefs

The Bachop brothers played against each other for Samoa v NZ, and im sure the Umaga brothers probably did to.

Can anyone tell me what they think of Kane Thompson. He has just signed for my club and it'll be interesting here your thoughts. Is he a lock or an 8 predominantly?

I'd say he is more of a 6/8 that can play lock if needed. Not quite tall enough to really be a great lock.. Had a couple of impressive games for the Canes this season, good work rate when he got oppertunities, solid at lineout. Not going to set the world alight but not a bad player.

I'd say he is more of a 6/8 that can play lock if needed. Not quite tall enough to really be a great lock.. Had a couple of impressive games for the Canes this season, good work rate when he got oppertunities, solid at lineout. Not going to set the world alight but not a bad player.

Are you thinking of Blade Thompson?

Kane was a very important part of the Chiefs 2012 Super Rugby winning squad, he was almost exclusively used at number 8 where he was quite effective. After a stint overseas he returned for this season but saw little game time, due to a mix of being injured and being a bit past it, I think.

He'll do an ok job still, I'm sure, but he's lost a bit of explosiveness. He still maintains a heavy workload, however.

Are you thinking of Blade Thompson?

Kane was a very important part of the Chiefs 2012 Super Rugby winning squad, he was almost exclusively used at number 8 where he was quite effective. After a stint overseas he returned for this season but saw little game time, due to a mix of being injured and being a bit past it, I think.

He'll do an ok job still, I'm sure, but he's lost a bit of explosiveness. He still maintains a heavy workload, however.

Haha, oh ***** I was too. God dang it Mr Fish, what have I told you about making me look stupid!

Yeah, Kane Thomson...that would be my summary as well...nice work. Well at least the Canes haven't lost another player..

Cheers Guys

Well our coach is looking for a few guys with a real high workrate and a little bit of quality in the back row...so hopefully he will do a job for us.

Chiefs have just also signed U20s player Damian McKenzie.

Interesting signing, I have a few thoughts on this. A lot of people really liked him in the last JRWC. For me I thought he ran far too lateral, and could do twenty side steps without making a meter. Of our U20s players he did look like he was probably one of the few capable of sparking things to be fair though. Now he's generally a 1st 5/8th but was preferred at fullback. The reason I find this interesting, is I think the Chiefs already have a player who was nearly identical (if not quite a quite a bit better IMO) back in 2009 in Robbie Robinson still playing for them. It's a good signing as I'm sure the Chiefs didn't have to break the bank to get him, I just can't see where he's going to fit in (even with Rennie swapping players around every game). That said both Muliaina and Anscombe are gone - but I'd still prefer to see Robinson and TNW at fullback. It's interesting Rennie didn't wait till the end of the ITM Cup to sign the kid...

Chiefs have just also signed U20s player Damian McKenzie.

Interesting signing, I have a few thoughts on this. A lot of people really liked him in the last JRWC. For me I thought he ran far too lateral, and could do twenty side steps without making a meter. Of our U20s players he did look like he was probably one of the few capable of sparking things to be fair though. Now he's generally a 1st 5/8th but was preferred at fullback. The reason I find this interesting, is I think the Chiefs already have a player who was nearly identical (if not quite a quite a bit better IMO) back in 2009 in Robbie Robinson still playing for them. It's a good signing as I'm sure the Chiefs didn't have to break the bank to get him, I just can't see where he's going to fit in (even with Rennie swapping players around every game). That said both Muliaina and Anscombe are gone - but I'd still prefer to see Robinson and TNW at fullback. It's interesting Rennie didn't wait till the end of the ITM Cup to sign the kid...

I basically see McKenzie as a direct replacement for Anscombe, someone who can cover first five and fullback from the bench. As it stands Horrell I'd really the only alternative to Cruden, and I don't think we've seen enough of him at 10 in recent seasons to be secure, so the Chiefs certainly need another first five. I also think signing him before he's played any ITM is a gamble, but someone else is just as likely to snap him up if the Chiefs wait too long.

I'm also unsure whether Robinson will be with the Chiefs next season. If he's back to full fitness then it's a given, but he hasn't played in almost a year now.

it is interesting signing a 10 who can play 15 because the chiefs already have Horrell and Robinson. You'd probably say that Robinson is the chiefs first choice 15 but he has been injured for a long time now.

but the chiefs coaches/selectors seem to like versatile players.

TNW doesn't seem to be used at 15 much these days, seems to be used more midfield or wing for the chiefs.

I'm still waiting patiently for news on Kahui. IT seems the perfect time for his return, WC next year, I think he was on TV during the June tests and sounded keen. well rested from a couple years in Japan. Lots of room and money should be there to sign with the chiefs as well.

9. TNW
10. Cruden
11. Gear
12. SBW
13. Kahui
14. TNW
15. Robinson

Bench is also really important for the chiefs.The likes of Pulu, Ngatai, Lowe & Horrell make for a nice bench.

I'm still a fan of Horrell I think hes too good to warm the bench.

Damian McKenzie is a fantastic signing in my opinion. It is a bit of a risk - he is only 19, has yet to play at NPC level, and there is no guarantee he will live up to his potential - but in my opinion he is a risk worth taking. I do agree to some degree with Nick that he did run across field a bit at the JWC, but that is something he will sort out with more experience at the top level. What really stands out to me about McKenzie was he always seemed to have time, and nothing phased him. Even with giant South African forwards charging at him he seemed in no rush, yet still go the ball away with plenty of time to spare. He also seemed to have a fantastic eye for the gap, both with his own running, and in terms of setting up others. A number of times he put team-mates in gaps with well timed passes, which is a key attribute for an attacking 10.

Like Mr Fish I see him at a 10 that can cover 15. He did a fantastic job at 15 at the JWC, but give his lack of size and style of play I think we will see him mainly focusing on the 10 jersey these next few years. With Anscombe gone the Chiefs needed another 10 to backup Cruden. Horrell and Robinson can both cover 10, but are much better elsewhere. Indeed I'm not a fan of Robinson at 10 at all. He struggled at even NPC level at 10 - it was only when he was shifted to fullback and given space to use his biggest attribute (his acceleration/pace) that he came into his own for the Chiefs...

Latest posts