• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Slade heading to Pau

Gaston does tend to inflame arguments with his language at time but having spent a number of years in France and being exposed, to a far lesser degree than Gaston, to SH players and UK players arriving to play in France......he is so right in saying money is an important part but not the be all and end all!!

I have spend years trying to persuade my reasonably successful children to come and live in France whilst their children are young. The reasons are not money but family time, respect that is prevalent in France but absent in UK, life style and peace of mind!!

None of them have done it but can see why they should and will, I believe, regret it in years to come!

Incidentally, for all its allure, I have no interest whatsoever in traveling to SA for all the reasons espoused on this thread but love New Zealand, Australia, Europe and the Far East but do not believe I am missing on not going to SA as, in any case, can see the wild life on Telly!!!!!!!!

And I have no issue with that. I also want to go and see NZ, Oz, Europe and some parts of the Far East. I'd also like to go to Russia and Iceland.

As for wild life, I can certainly tell you that it's very different experience between watching it on telly and seeing them in person. But then again, it's not for everyone.

All I'm saying is that South Africa has mostly the same to offer than what France has. So the only valid reason for the players to go to France is for the fat paycheck all of them are getting. Most of the guys come back to SA, some stay behind, but the main reason they are going is for the financial security they are getting in Europe. And no matter how many insults Gaston or any one else wants to throw at me, it will not change my perspective. I have seen it with my own 2 eyes, and to not consider it shows a very shortsighted approach.

And I have no issue with that. I also want to go and see NZ, Oz, Europe and some parts of the Far East. I'd also like to go to Russia and Iceland.

As for wild life, I can certainly tell you that it's very different experience between watching it on telly and seeing them in person. But then again, it's not for everyone.

All I'm saying is that South Africa has mostly the same to offer than what France has. So the only valid reason for the players to go to France is for the fat paycheck all of them are getting. Most of the guys come back to SA, some stay behind, but the main reason they are going is for the financial security they are getting in Europe. And no matter how many insults Gaston or any one else wants to throw at me, it will not change my perspective. I have seen it with my own 2 eyes, and to not consider it shows a very shortsighted approach.

I can certainly agree with the wild life having been on Safari, and visited Africa several times, Gaston does not throw insults he just reacts when insults are thrown against him,(people calling me dumb when they do not even know me) give me one instance where i have thrown insults when starting a thread never!!! and no one is saying France has more to offer than SA they are probably on par with each other, bar the crime which is notorious chez vous. What i am saying is i talk to many SH players not only the Montpellier players and often bar one or two there are many reasons why they come apart from money of course it's important no one says otherwise, but there are so many more factors. Also remember that in 2/6 years you dont make enough money for a lifetime, plus there is 40%tax and private health care ( if you dont have that it will cost you a fortune here believe me) to be paid and of course living is not cheap in France.
I cannot understand how you can say "see it with my own two eyes" when you have never been to France or spoken to the players living here, this i do at least twice a week and write articles and interview players especially the SH ones (go to Steve's chronicles on the MHR website) no one is trying to start a brawl just accept that some people are better placed than others for certain topics, i would never rant or rave about SH rugby as i do not follow it or am really that interested.
I often read what you guys print about your rugby so i do learn at lot, but as it is not my favourite kind of rugby bar the AB's and SA teams i do not criticize or throw insults thats it i'm done here......................................WELL TILL THE NEXT TIME BRING BACK B. E.

Last edited:
I can certainly agree with the wild life having been on Safari, and visited Africa several times, Gaston does not throw insults he just reacts when insults are thrown against him,(people calling me dumb when they do not even know me) give me one instance where i have thrown insults when starting a thread never!!! and no one is saying France has more to offer than SA they are probably on par with each other, bar the crime which is notorious chez vous. What i am saying is i talk to many SH players not only the Montpellier players and often bar one or two there are many reasons why they come apart from money of course it's important no one says otherwise, but there are so many more factors. Also remember that in 2/6 years you dont make enough money for a lifetime, plus there is 40%tax and private health care ( if you dont have that it will cost you a fortune here believe me) to be paid and of course living is not cheap in France.
I cannot understand how you can say "see it with my own two eyes" when you have never been to France or spoken to the players living here, this i do at least twice a week and write articles and interview players especially the SH ones (go to Steve's chronicles on the MHR website) no one is trying to start a brawl just accept that some people are better placed than others for certain topics, i would never rant or rave about SH rugby as i do not follow it or am really that interested.
I often read what you guys print about your rugby so i do learn at lot, but as it is not my favourite kind of rugby bar the AB's and SA teams i do not criticize or throw insults thats it i'm done here......................................WELL TILL THE NEXT TIME BRING BACK B. E.

Well, Since my brother is an auditor for a bunch of guys that played overseas.

Most of the guys that play in France, still have homes in SA. And are registered at South Africa's Tax/Revenue Services. The Kicker is that the players who play in France only have to be in SA for 100-150 days per year to have the income they recieve in France to be tax-free.

So let's take Bryan Habana as an example. When he plays for the Springboks during the Rugby Championship, he's registered as a South African player, who's domicilium et executandi is South Africa. They play for 2-3 months in that tournament. That gives you about 90 days. Then there is the June internationals where NH sides come to SA, that is usually 4 matches, so lets say it's another 30 days. Add the November internationals, then you get about up to 150 days of the year.

The guys who don't play international rugby might only come to SA during the off season or when they are injured, and then might not qualify for this tax bonus. But even so, the conversion of Euros into Rands now stands at EUR 1:12.81 R. In other words I would be getting 12 times more money in France than in SA. Some things might be more expensive in France than in SA. but the margin of bringing a lot of money back home is still so damn high that SA can't compete with the stronger currencies. It's no mystery.

No matter how you try and swing it, the Money is still the biggest contributing factor. Oh and the private health care system is not a good comparison to use. Most of the players are with an International Medical Aid scheme like Discovery, or one that is an affiliate, to pay that monthly fee in R is peanuts to them. Some of them don't even pay for it, as their club or union pays for it on their behalf...

You keep on saying you're done, but then you just start your tirade in another thread. You were the one who started this debate yet again in this thread, so please stop the "that's it, I'm done, don't pick on me" crap!!

No matter how you try and swing it, the Money is still the biggest contributing factor.

Has he, or anyone else, said it wasn't?

As far as I can tell all that's been said by Gaston is that a lot of people don't make a decision based on one factor alone, and I would wager that this is true of pretty much every profession in the world.

Yes money is the driving factor, it's a job after all, but considering most of these guys get multiple offers there is clearly other mitigating factors present in their decision making.

blah blah blah you are so full of bull shi** and little else!!!!! so what your saying the tax the players pay in France 40% of their earnings becomes tax free in SA SO EXPLAIN HOW THEY GET IT BACK PLEASE SO INTERESTED !!!! just a little exercise 26 games per TOP 14 season + 6 pool games in Europe that = 32 games, whether they are picked are not they have to be there do you understand contracts, so mulitply 32 by 7 days a week = 224 days plus in France we start pre season training 6/8 weeks before the season so thats another average 49 days + 224 days = 273 days so unless there are more than 365/6 days in aweek in the SH we have a problem your theory just does not indicate any sense of comprehension and how many are we talking about!!! using Habana as the sole example and how many more hundreds did you forget to mention???????? You cannot talk about one player as an example for a whole nation that is just plain stupid
Your medical schemme idea is also ridiculus the clubs provide the medical cover for the players but they get deals for the whole family why do you not listen which the players have to pay for!!!!
Montpellier use AXA good SA company no doubt!!! and once again i agree MONEY IS AN IMPORTANT FACTOR BUT NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!! these are not tirades just an explanation of how things work to someone who has absolutely no idea but continues firing blanks across the waters.

Ok I'm getting sick of having to close or moderate threads because people either get off topic or just have completely circular or pointless arguments.

I think everyone would agree that there are definitely factors outside of the money that make France a nice destination. I'd love to spend a bit of time there and would happily do it for even a semi-decent wage. But even on an NZ rugby salary most players could afford to live there for a bit later in their lives. The money plays a big part in them heading over there when their career is still very much on the up.

Regardless, if this argument doesn't stop here I will be closing the thread. I really shouldn't have to, it should be possible to have a discussion about the repercussions of Slade leaving without it regressing into a **** storm. Either way, I don't want to have to read any more junk about why players go to France in this thread.

Last edited:
Back on topic: I think people from the SH can at least find humor in the fact that Carter, Giteau, Slade, Goosen, Brett, Delaney, James and probably Quade Cooper, will be blocking the way for young promising French 10s for the foreseeable future.

Back on topic: I think people from the SH can at least find humor in the fact that Carter, Giteau, Slade, Goosen, Brett, Delaney, James and probably Quade Cooper, will be blocking the way for young promising French 10s for the foreseeable future.

While enjoying a nice bottle of French Champagne, looking at the Majestic French Alps, waving at a criminal on a bike with one testical...

Sounds Magical!!

Ok I'm getting sick of having to close or moderate threads because people either get off topic or just have completely circular or pointless arguments.

I think everyone would agree that there are definitely factors outside of the money that make France a nice destination. I'd love to spend a bit of time there and would happily do it for even a semi-decent wage. But even on an NZ rugby salary most players could afford to live there for a bit later in their lives. The money plays a big part in them heading over there when their career is still very much on the up.

Regardless, if this argument doesn't stop here I will be closing the thread. I really shouldn't have to, it should be possible to have a discussion about the repercussions of Slade leaving without it regressing into a **** storm. Either way, I don't want to have to read any more junk about why players go to France in this thread.

maybe this is the time to think hard and meaningfull about opening threads that could react in the exact opposite of what one wanted when they started this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but by all means close it, i have no problem there.

maybe this is the time to think hard and meaningfull about opening threads that could react in the exact opposite of what one wanted when they started this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but by all means close it, i have no problem there.

Because this thread was started with the sole purpose to get a reaction from you???

Come on!! This thread was started as an announcement that Colin Slade will be moving to France. That's it...

Because this thread was started with the sole purpose to get a reaction from you???

Come on!! This thread was started as an announcement that Colin Slade will be moving to France. That's it...

But we have a transfers thread for that don't we?

Should we open a thread for every interesting Transfer then? because i'd quite like to discuss any number of the transfers that occur each month.

I don't think this thread could have gone any other way really, it was always going to end up in a haves and have not's discussion.

But we have a transfers thread for that don't we?

Should we open a thread for every interesting Transfer then? because i'd quite like to discuss any number of the transfers that occur each month.

I don't think this thread could have gone any other way really, it was always going to end up in a haves and have not's discussion.

True, but then again I didn't start this thread, so I don't know what the mod's intention was.

With that said, I have started several threads about transfer news, and mostly it's because there's more to the story than just that a player was transferred.

True, but then again I didn't start this thread, so I don't know what the mod's intention was.

With that said, I have started several threads about transfer news, and mostly it's because there's more to the story than just that a player was transferred.

wasn't a criticism mate, just an observation :D

dear oh dear scarcasm read between the lines look who started the thread and look who threaten to close it the lights are on but nobodies at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dear oh dear scarcasm read between the lines look who started the thread and look who threaten to close it the lights are on but nobodies at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your name reminds me of gastroenteritis. As in diarrhea of the mouth with the amount of crap you talk. Now shut up about it.

Jerry McGuire... show me the money...

if you want loyalty... buy a dogg...

i think if Slade was the 1st choice All Black flyhalf, then he might have stayed... but he is 3rd choice (next year), 4th choice this year...

[url]http://www.superxv.com/46126/2/hansen-all-blacks-are-facing-most-difficult-year#.VS594_mUeSo[/URL]

Hansen: All Blacks are facing 'most difficult year'

All Blacks coach Steve Hansen says that 2016 would be "one of the most difficult years" for New Zealand rugby after Colin Slade joined the exodus of players leaving the country.
There has long been a tradition of New Zealand players leaving their country of birth to play in Europe at the end of their careers but in recent years the players leaving have gotten younger and younger.
Twenty-seven-year-old Crusaders flyhalf Slade became the 10th All Black to announce that he will leave New Zealand after the Rugby World Cup.
Slade was rumoured to be in talks with a French club last week but on Monday it was confirmed that he will leave New Zealand on a deal reportedly worth 660,000 euros ($698,000) a year to join French club Pau.
Still to confirm their post-World Cup futures are Julian Savea, Sam Cane and Ryan Crotty and, coupled with expected retirements and the impact of the Olympics, coach Steve Hansen is bracing for a difficult 12 months following the September-October tournament in England.
Crusaders coach Todd Blackadder, who stands to lose two fly-halves to French clubs in Dan Carter and Slade, put a positive spin on the losses.
"It's a good opportunity for some young guys to put their hands up and for us to start again almost," he said.
But with the New Zealand sevens squad also able to call on All Blacks for the Olympics next year, Hansen admitted 2016 would be "one of the most difficult years" for All Blacks rugby.
"Not only are we losing people as it's time for them to go overseas or retire, and we've lost one or two other people we didn't want to lose, but we're also going to lose some guys to the Olympics," he told the stuff.co.nz website.
"We could lose up to 15 players out of our current 31-man squad, which is massive."
The 17-Test Slade may not have been the All Blacks' first choice fly-half but he was crucial to Hansen's plans because of his ability to cover wing and fullback, his sound defence and coolness as a goalkicker.
New Zealand's player exodus also includes Carter (Racing Metro), Ma'a Nonu (Toulon) and Conrad Smith (Pau), who are near the end of their international careers.
But Charles Piutau (Ulster), Francis Saiili (Munster), Tom Taylor (Bayonne) and Frank Halai (Wasps) are just starting theirs.
Tight forwards Jeremy Thrush (Gloucester) and Ben Franks (London Irish) are also considered valuable squad members while not necessarily first-choice selections.
Talismanic skipper Richie McCaw, 34, deflects questions about his future, but the indications are he will retire at the end of the year along with fellow Test centurions Keven Mealamu, aged 36, and Tony Woodcock, 34.
With the bank accounts of the European clubs bulging, New Zealand Rugby Players Association chief Rob Nichol expects more All Blacks to depart despite the effort going into keeping them in the country.
"They've still got another couple that they're working through but we'll just let that process pan out," he told Radio Sport.
"We're going through that two-three month frame where guys are making really big decisions about their future.
"You've got guys that are committing (to New Zealand) and you've got guys that are heading overseas. We certainly feel that we're taking a bit of a hit at the moment but it's a long-running battle."
At Super 15 level, in the space of 12 months the Crusaders will have lost three All Blacks - fly-halves in Carter, Taylor and Slade - while former New Zealand Under 20s star Tyler Bleyendaal left for Munster last year.
"It's a concern every time you lose a player because it's taking away another brick from the wall, and if you take too many away, eventually the wall will fall over," Hansen said.
"I understand in some circumstances there's a really good reason for some people to do it, but in others I just wish they'd hang on and chase their dream a bit more."

Last edited:
My turn...

The primary factor for SH players to move to France is Money. Look at the French soccer league, they struglle immensely to attract the players England does despite being better in recent years, this will not change. French clubs also offer more money than Pro 12 clubs and Premiership clubs for the most part it's not a level playing field and Pro 12 sides generally are restricted to the number of foreign players they can have anyway.

Secondary factors are totally subbjective, there'll be as many who go to France and love the food, culture and weather as there would be who hate it, if you can't accept that it's pure nativity or ignorance. Ireland and Britain both rely heavily on tourism and I personally haven't met a tourist in Ireland or someone who hasn't visited a Ireland who don't give it rave reviews, if money wasn't a factor Irish provinces could pull in players like Piatau far more often than we do because as many young rugby players would be pulled by the welcoming nature and craic around here as the beaches et al that comes with France.

Thirdly, how many New Zealanders, South Africans and Australians do you really find in France that aren't rugby players? Most of them set up in London because that's where the money is...

Not an attack on France, I love the place and would live in Toulouse or Toulon over Belfast or Limerick given the opportunity but that's just me! I'd also love to visit SA, far more appealing than the Far East to me, one of the many redundant topics of this thread.

Let's be honest Leicester is prob the most desirable place in he world to live in.

Shame I'm stuck in Cheshire ATM!

Red Leicester is a damn good cheese.

...plus the woman are hot and horny... Paris is the city of love and its in France the last time i checked :p

Latest posts