• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sonny Bill Williams News + Progress in ITM Cup

I dont understand why people think that he does not understand how to play at centre. He has just spent two seasons in a good standard of French rugby and has played outside two good fly halves in Mehrtens and Wilkinson. He was okay in his first season and he got use to it but he played very well in his second season. I do admit playing NPC / ITM / S15 rugby will be different but I don't think he will struggle as some would believe.

I don't think anyone who has seen him play rugby union thinks he will struggle. There are, however, a number of people in NZ who want him to fail - either because they are still bitter because he walked out on the Bulldogs, or because they believe he is just a money driven show pony. There is no doubt in my mind that he has the talent and the motivation to make it into the AB's.

I don't think anyone who has seen him play rugby union thinks he will struggle. There are, however, a number of people in NZ who want him to fail - either because they are still bitter because he walked out on the Bulldogs, or because they believe he is just a money driven show pony. There is no doubt in my mind that he has the talent and the motivation to make it into the AB's.

My only concern with him is that if he plays well or doesn't and does not get selected will he throw his toy's out of the pram. Nonu, Luke Mc and Stanley are all in front of him of the 12 shirt. I think he i better than Stanley currently but he will have a job to push Nonu and McAlister.

He has developed a bit of a reputation for mercenary behaviour and wether he is willing to work hard enough to push out nonu and mcalister is all up to him..I reckon he should be able to get a spot on the squad but mcAlister for me would start

McAllister had a hell of a game for the Maori against England as well, if that hasn't put him in direct contention for the 12 shirt i don't know what will,
SBW is going to have to really inmpress to usurp him and Nonu

I think that SBW will get in ahead of nonu as he has such a tendancy to drift in and out of matches with often a very poor work rate ...but then again the guy can just click somedays and rip teams apart...tis strange

McAllister wasn't THAT good. He did throw an intercept pass which cost his team 7, not for the first time in a black shirt. Nonu is the main competition for SBW I think, although Henry does love Luke.

McAllister wasn't THAT good. He did throw an intercept pass which cost his team 7, not for the first time in a black shirt. Nonu is the main competition for SBW I think, although Henry does love Luke.

that was from 10 was it not ?? :/

MacAlister will only be in contention for the 12 shirt if he manages to stay fit - the three games he played for the NZ Maori were the most consecutive games he has played without getting injured since coming back to NZ!

SBW has made the right decision to try and earn a black jersey. But whether he earns it is another thing, I mean,... look at poor Hosea Gear, he's been the form wing for New Zealand the past two seasons and still no black jersey. He's doing everything right and still isn't recognised by it.

My only concern with him is that if he plays well or doesn't and does not get selected will he throw his toy's out of the pram. Nonu, Luke Mc and Stanley are all in front of him of the 12 shirt. I think he i better than Stanley currently but he will have a job to push Nonu and McAlister.

well i read SBW will consider a return to NRL after his 18month contract with NZ rugby union,doesn't desevre to be a ALL Black if he just gonna ditch rugby.

Yeah, it's what I've thought for a while, and spending that amount of money on him was silly.

Yes, he could develop into a good player given time, training and hard work. But if you look at him like you look at an investment, he isn't worth it.

He is only 24 years old. He could well be reaching his prime by the time the next RWC comes around, and yet we're spending a crap load of money, to take a risk on a player who may or may not be good enough to play for the All Blacks in time for the RWC 2011, and after 18 months, all that time and effort spent in getting him up to scratch, could be no good after he has entered the RWC. I could understand if he seemed dedicated to playing his rugby in New Zealand, however all he ever talks about is how "playing for the All Blacks is one of his dreams (others include NRL, playing for the Kiwis and pro boxing)", and yet then in every interview, talks about how playing in NZ is a lot less money, how he likes to move around with short contracts and how he is young enough to go back to playing over seas.

This guy is not dedicated to a future of playing rugby in New Zealand. We will train him up, and his stock will rise in Europe and NRL clubs will want him back, since the $1,000,000 compensation penalty to which ever NRL club signs him, will have expired after 4 years. If the amount of time and effort went into securing and improving our already brilliant talent like Hosea Gear or Isaac Ross, I'm sure there wouldn't be such a player exodios after the RWC, and maybe even retain a couple of our leading players. How would you feel if you were someone like Hosea Gear, who performs so well, and has a real x-factor, and yet you will be earning less than half the money SBW will be earning, and not get selected for the ABs? People make it seem like NZ is finally able to claim some of our talent from over seas, and this shows the strength of NZ rugby, but when we are paying so much more money than the players have earned to have them come over, mean while players who are loyal and poorly paid in comparrison can't get a shot for the ABs, what message does that send for people wanting to stay?

Another big problem I have with SBW, is he is a player who is not required. Ma'a Nonu is the best line breaker in the world. People harp on about Jamie Roberts, but with no disrespect meant for the Welsh, I've never seen Roberts perform like Nonu can. Yes Nonu has faults, but when he is on fire, he is one of most destructive player in the world, and yet he is earning less than SBW. Luke McAlister has bulked up amazingly, and has a great running, kicking and play making game. Not only that, both Nonu and McAlister are loyal to NZ, and will likely be around after the RWC. McAlister did go over seas but has shown the commitment of coming back, while Nonu has never played over seas and hasn't always been NZ's first option, which shows loyalty for sticking around.

If we were going to buy players from over seas for a crap load of money than SBW is not it. Carl Hayman would have been very helpful, but he did seem to prefer to take the money of Toulon rather than come back to NZ, so in fairness the NZRU did try. However Nick Evans, one of the best fly halves in the world, on good form, proven to be a quality players, wasn't ever approached by Graham Henry. We have only one quality 1st 5/8th, but if he gets injured we're screwed. Steven Donald is proven to not be good enough in internationals, Aaron Cruden is too young and inexperienced to be our only back up, Steven Brett players either really well or really poor and Colin Slade has not been given the chance to prove himself as a quality fly half option for the AB's. Nick Evans would have been a justified signing, as we need him, and maybe could keep him for at least untill he is no longer in his prime. SBW will leave NZ after the RWC, and all that money would have been wasted...

Anyway, that's my rant.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's what I've thought for a while, and spending that amount of money on him was silly.

Yes, he could develop into a good player given time, training and hard work. But if you look at him like you look at an investment, he isn't worth it.

He is only 24 years old. He could well be reaching his prime by the time the next RWC comes around, and yet we're spending a crap load of money, to take a risk on a player who may or may not be good enough to play for the All Blacks in time for the RWC 2011, and after 18 months, all that time and effort spent in getting him up to scratch, could be no good after he has entered the RWC. I could understand if he seemed dedicated to playing his rugby in New Zealand, however all he ever talks about is how "playing for the All Blacks is one of his dreams (others include NRL, playing for the Kiwis and pro boxing)", and yet then in every interview, talks about how playing in NZ is a lot less money, how he likes to move around with short contracts and how he is young enough to go back to playing over seas.

This guy is not dedicated to a future of playing rugby in New Zealand. We will train him up, and his stock will rise in Europe and NRL clubs will want him back, since the $1,000,000 compensation penalty to which ever NRL club signs him, will have expired after 4 years. If the amount of time and effort went into securing and improving our already brilliant talent like Hosea Gear or Isaac Ross, I'm sure there wouldn't be such a player exodios after the RWC, and maybe even retain a couple of our leading players. How would you feel if you were someone like Hosea Gear, who performs so well, and has a real x-factor, and yet you will be earning less than half the money SBW will be earning, and not get selected for the ABs? People make it seem like NZ is finally able to claim some of our talent from over seas, and this shows the strength of NZ rugby, but when we are paying so much more money than the players have earned to have them come over, mean while players who are loyal and poorly paid in comparrison can't get a shot for the ABs, what message does that send for people wanting to stay?

Another big problem I have with SBW, is he is a player who is not required. Ma'a Nonu is the best line breaker in the world. People harp on about Jamie Roberts, but with no disrespect meant for the Welsh, I've never seen Roberts perform like Nonu can. Yes Nonu has faults, but when he is on fire, he is one of most destructive player in the world, and yet he is earning less than SBW. Luke McAlister has bulked up amazingly, and has a great running, kicking and play making game. Not only that, both Nonu and McAlister are loyal to NZ, and will likely be around after the RWC. McAlister did go over seas but has shown the commitment of coming back, while Nonu has never played over seas and hasn't always been NZ's first option, which shows loyalty for sticking around.

If we were going to buy players from over seas for a crap load of money than SBW is not it. Carl Hayman would have been very helpful, but he did seem to prefer to take the money of Toulon rather than come back to NZ, so in fairness the NZRU did try. However Nick Evans, one of the best fly halves in the world, on good form, proven to be a quality players, wasn't ever approached by Graham Henry. We have only one quality 1st 5/8th, but if he gets injured we're screwed. Steven Donald is proven to not be good enough in internationals, Aaron Cruden is too young and inexperienced to be our only back up, Steven Brett players either really well or really poor and Colin Slade has not been given the chance to prove himself as a quality fly half option for the AB's. Nick Evans would have been a justified signing, as we need him, and maybe could keep him for at least untill he is no longer in his prime. SBW will leave NZ after the RWC, and all that money would have been wasted...

Anyway, that's my rant.

Could argue that Nonu plays outside the best fly half in the world and also plays in a World Class team. Compared to Wales handful of quality international players. Its a debatable point. Remember Roberts is also a good defensive guy as well as attacking. Just to point out that Roberts is up there with the best regarding hard running centre's.

But I don't think all these rumors about him leaving for the NRL are true, its obviously the media turning things that have not been said and also they are pretty much rumors. People already on his back without him playing a game in the ITM.

Last edited by a moderator:
<H2>Return to league a possibility for Williams
NZPA - June 29, 2010, 3:42 pm
NZPA ©

An All Black jersey and World Cup winner's medal is Sonny Bill Williams next priority as a professional footballer -- and if those goals are achieved in 2011 he is unlikely to linger in New Zealand rugby.
Williams, who earlier this month signed with the New Zealand Rugby Union until the end of next year, has already spoken about a possible return to the National Rugby League where he made his mark as a teenager before sensationally abandoning the Bulldogs two years ago for French rugby club Toulon.
The talented 24-year-old confirmed suspicions his allegiance to the NZRU would only be temporary when asked to speculate his future after the World Cup.
Williams, in Brisbane completing preparations for his second fight as a professional boxer tomorrow night, said a return to rugby league was a genuine option after his New Zealand rugby sojourn. A more permanent career in the ring was another possibility, as was a return to Toulon.
"Of course league is always an option," Williams said ahead of his bout against unknown New Zealander Ryan Hogan.
"Right now it is all about rugby but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to say that it is an option. If there is one thing I have learnt since I left the NRL it is that as a professional athlete, it is always good to have things up your sleeve."
Williams infuriated the Bulldogs management and fans when he spilt the club without warning midway through the 2008 season.
The Bulldogs were eventually paid $A750,000 ($NZ914,000) compensation; Williams was also banned from signing with a rival NRL club until 2013 - after his original contract expired.
When Williams was pondering his future earlier this year the New Zealand Warriors were among clubs interested in acquiring him, but baulked when the Bulldogs demanded at least $A1 million to drop their ban.
That asking price remains a deterrent for NRL clubs in 2012 - not that Williams was overly anxious, or concerned about how his career moves were perceived by the public.
"I am happy with where I am at right now and people might think it is a circus - me signing here for one year and there for one year - but at the end of the day I ain't got no one to please except myself and my family, and I feel that keeping myself on my toes is the best thing for me at the moment," he told the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper.
"I have been playing professional sport since I was 18 and when you are at one spot for too long it can drag on a bit, but signing short term adds pressure both ways. It keeps you on your feet and I feel it brings the best out in me."
Williams departed Toulon on good terms despite turning down a three-year contract extension worth $NZ6 million, terms that may be available again in 2012.
"Toulon have already said they want me to go back after my contract so it's good to have that option too."
After his bout Williams returns briefly to family in Auckland before heading to Christchurch to link up with the Canterbury squad ahead of next month's ITM Cup.
Providing he makes a successful transition Williams will be named in the All Blacks' end of year tour to Hong Kong, the UK and Ireland.
His push for a place in the World Cup squad continues in February when he plays for the Crusaders in the inaugural Super 15.
</H2>http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/7483042/return-league-possibility-williams

I also saw an interview when he says he isn't ruling out amove back to Toloun or NRL after the RWC.

I was hoping no one would turn this about Roberts. I wasn't criticizing him, I was just pointing out we have a quality 2nd 5/8ths

I still suspect that if he succeeds I doubt he will move for a few more years. Boy has genuine talent. I reckon he will tour the UK and score his first try vs. Wales :lol:

Have none of you Kiwi's seen him playing in the Top 14? Some of the conversation on here is as if he's coming to Canterbury brand-spanking new to Union. I've always assumed he went to France to get his Union skills up to par out of the NZ scrutiny, but had no clue people were this blind to his performance. He's been playing well in the centre position. I agree, better at an outside centre.

Have none of you Kiwi's seen him playing in the Top 14? Some of the conversation on here is as if he's coming to Canterbury brand-spanking new to Union. I've always assumed he went to France to get his Union skills up to par out of the NZ scrutiny, but had no clue people were this blind to his performance. He's been playing well in the centre position. I agree, better at an outside centre.

Kiwis don't watch slow, boring NH rugby:lol: Half of my Kiwi mates here in Tokyo don't even make the difference between Toulouse and Toulon:rolleyes:

They don't know about the teams, the players etc. Maybe if they did they'd be a bit less surprised when France ousts them in the WC.

I have seen him play. And I am not convinced he is good enough to be in the AB's. And even if he was good enough, I don't think he has earned a spot. His first season in Toloun he was average, his second season he showed some promise, although I thought he was over hyped. He has done nothing to show why he deserves to be paid more than any other player in NZ, or get any of the other exceptions like "out clauses" in his contract for him to leave if not selected for the EoYT.

I'd wager that many SH posters on this forum know a great deal more about what is happening up north, than a majority of NH posters know about what is happening down south. I think the fact that many of our favourite players head up north when they are too old to play in the ABs contributes to that, as I follow most of the former ABs/NZ players.

Kiwis don't watch slow, boring NH rugby:lol: Half of my Kiwi mates here in Tokyo don't even make the difference between Toulouse and Toulon:rolleyes:

They don't know about the teams, the players etc. Maybe if they did they'd be a bit less surprised when France ousts them in the WC.
Yes, your analysis of the Kiwis is true. I have a good friend, former under21 AB in fact, and he harrasses me all the time about being a Northern Hemisphere Rugger.
I would think the Top 14 would be the 1 NH competetion that would attract the Kiwis, to be honest.

Hey, what's with the type casting? I've supported Clermont for the last 4 seasons, and I've supported the Harlequins since Zinzan Brooke played for them (god knows how many years ago). It is nothing to do with the competitions the players play in, it is meerly that playing well over seas, does not earn you an AB jersey, proving yourself at home does.

Latest posts