• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sonny Bill Williams News + Progress in ITM Cup

Yes, your analysis of the Kiwis is true. I have a good friend, former under21 AB in fact, and he harrasses me all the time about being a Northern Hemisphere Rugger.
I would think the Top 14 would be the 1 NH competetion that would attract the Kiwis, to be honest.
Tbh, it works both ways. french guys don't know about kiwi rugby either. Thing is, most of the rugby fans are not fans of rugby, they're fans of their team. Hence they don't go looking for other comps, since "their" team is not in them. It's even worse for the kiwis as they arguably play the best rugby in the world, so why would they bother watching comps they consider inferior, and whose national teams they put 40 points on? I think my grammar is ****** in the previous sentence but you get the point.
Only true rugby fans will watch comps and games they don't have a "patriotic" interest in.

Edit: Nick in my first post I say "Half of my kiwi mates". It's probably more actually but aye...:D I would also be very surprised if the average SH fan knew about the NH more than the other way round. There's absolutely no way to verify this anyway but...

Last edited:
Tbh, it works both ways. french guys don't know about kiwi rugby either. Thing is, most of the rugby fans are not fans of rugby, they're fans of their team. Hence they don't go looking for other comps, since "their" team is not in them. It's even worse for the kiwis as they arguably play the best rugby in the world, so why would they bother watching comps they consider inferior, and whose national teams they put 40 points on? I think my grammar is ****** in the previous sentence but you get the point.
Only true rugby fans will watch comps and games they don't have a "patriotic" interest in.

Edit: Nick in my first post I say "Half of my kiwi mates". It's probably more actually but aye...:D I would also be very surprised if the average SH fan knew about the NH more than the other way round. There's absolutely no way to verify this anyway but...
I guess that makes me a "fan of rugby" as I try to watch every feckin' competition I can get my mitts on. Magners League, Shute Shield, Air New Zealand Cup, Churchill Cup, Local High School...it doesn't matter. I love the sport and like to see it at all stages. I wish more people would embrace that ethos.

Have none of you Kiwi's seen him playing in the Top 14? Some of the conversation on here is as if he's coming to Canterbury brand-spanking new to Union. I've always assumed he went to France to get his Union skills up to par out of the NZ scrutiny, but had no clue people were this blind to his performance. He's been playing well in the centre position. I agree, better at an outside centre.

To be honest I don't think the majority of kiwis have seen him play union (there are obvious exceptions, such as Nickdnz) - personally I've only seen him play a couple of games. The only way to watch the top 14 here is to have a subscription to the Rugby Channel (a particular Sky Channel), which I'm sure only a very small proportion of NZers have.

To be honest I don't think the majority of kiwis have seen him play union (there are obvious exceptions, such as Nickdnz) - personally I've only seen him play a couple of games. The only way to watch the top 14 here is to have a subscription to the Rugby Channel (a particular Sky Channel), which I'm sure only a very small proportion of NZers have.
I figured every sane Kiwi had that channel. I've heard wonderful stories about 24 hour rugby broadcast...I think I'd have an orgasm if I had that here. :lol:

Back to SBW...excited to see him contest for a All Blacks spot. He's got talent.

Quite blessed in the UK. Top 14 on ESPN and S14 / Currie Cup / NPC or ITM as well as Guniess Prem along with S4C and BBC broadcasting Magners League. I can truly say we are lucky over here.

I feel nickdnz you are writing him off before he has even played. This guy will bring flair and whether you hate it or love it he will bring people to watch the game which for me is a massive bonus. First season was average but his second season was pretty outstanding. His off loading, angles he cut and his tackling was pretty immense.

Is along the lines with the ITM can expect ... yes there are others who can do the same also. If you also look for the try in the Amlin final also his finishing for that try was pretty outstanding, if Im correct he juked passed a few Blues defenders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured every sane Kiwi had that channel. I've heard wonderful stories about 24 hour rugby broadcast...I think I'd have an orgasm if I had that here. :lol:

Back to SBW...excited to see him contest for a All Blacks spot. He's got talent.

If I had the rugby channel (and hence the ability to watch rugby 24/7) I probably wouldn't have a relationship or a job..... its a hard choice but I chose these over 24/7 rugby..... just ;)

Same here O'roth. My wife would probably leave me and I'd spend my days smoking green in front of the tv...

Quite blessed in the UK. Top 14 on ESPN and S14 / Currie Cup / NPC or ITM as well as Guniess Prem along with S4C and BBC broadcasting Magners League. I can truly say we are lucky over here.

I feel nickdnz you are writing him off before he has even played. This guy will bring flair and whether you hate it or love it he will bring people to watch the game which for me is a massive bonus. First season was average but his second season was pretty outstanding. His off loading, angles he cut and his tackling was pretty immense.

Is along the lines with the ITM can expect ... yes there are others who can do the same also. If you also look for the try in the Amlin final also his finishing for that try was pretty outstanding, if Im correct he juked passed a few Blues defenders.

What I've been trying to point out, is that even if he is a god like player, if he scored tries every touch of the ball and killed the entire french league in tackles, he has not earned an All Black jersey. And on the chance NZ won't win the RWC, we have then spent $550,000 on a player who has left New Zealand. Mean while, the player in NZ, who stayed in NZ to earn the jersey through years of hard work will leave due to not being appreciated or payed as much as a player who has just come to New Zealand. I would be fine with putting him in the ABs and maybe paying him $400,000 if I believed he had intentions of staying, hell, if he performed god like in the ITM Cup, when his contract is renewed in 2012 I'd even pay him what he is currently getting, IF he stuck around, with the way he talks now, that doesn't seem likely.

NZ doesn't need mercenaries. I don't like players coming to NZ, taking a black jersey, and then leaving. There is genuinly thousands of people in New Zealand who dream of playing for the ABs. As a kid, that's all I wanted to do. Now through lack of skill, and other factors, that will never be a possibility. I can accept that, as thousands of other New Zealander's accept that. But for a guy to come to NZ, demanding more money than our top All Blacks already get, talking about how he is taking a pay cut and acting like he is doing NZ a big favour, it annoys me. He claims it was one of his dreams. Also being a a NRL player, boxer and millionare seem to be included. Yes, he is a good athlete, but untill he proves he is in it because he loves rugby, New Zealand and the All Blacks, I'd rather see a slightly less talented player, but a more dedicated player, have his jersey.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I've been trying to point out, is that even if he is a god like player, if he scored tries every rouch of the ball and killed the entire french league in tackles, he has not earned an All Black jersey. And on the chance NZ won't win the RWC, we have then spent $550,000 on a player who has left New Zealand. Mean while, the player in NZ, who stayed in NZ to earn the jersey through years of hard work will leave due to not being appreciated or payed as much as a player who has just come to New Zealand. I would be fine with putting him in the ABs and maybe paying him $400,000 if I believed he had intentions of staying, hell, if he performed god like in the ITM Cup, when his contract is renewed in 2012 I'd even pay him what he is currently getting, IF he stuck around, with the way he talks now, that doesn't seem likely.

NZ doesn't need mercenaries. I don't like players coming to NZ, taking a black jersey, and then leaving. There is genuinly thousands of people in New Zealand who dream of playing for the ABs. As a kid, that's all I wanted to do. Now through lack of skill, and other factors, that will never be a possibility. I can accept that, as thousands of other New Zealander's accept that. But for a guy to come to NZ, demanding more money than our top All Blacks already get, talking about how he is taking a pay cut and acting like he is doing NZ a big favour, it annoys me. He claims it was one of his dreams. Also being a a NRL player, boxer and millionare seem to be included. Yes, he is a good athlete, but untill he proves he is in it because he loves rugby, New Zealand and the All Blacks, I'd rather see a slightly less talented player, but a more dedicated player, have his jersey.

"Mercenaries", as you put it, are part of history. He is a gun for hire. What you need to look at is his skill and his marketabillity. I know that goes against everything in your DNA, but this is the modern era and we can't escape it. Popularity and Image are wayed in equal parts as skill nowadays. Here in America we got our current president because of Image and Marketabillity. Why would it be any less in Rugby there in NZ?

What I've been trying to point out, is that even if he is a god like player, if he scored tries every rouch of the ball and killed the entire french league in tackles, he has not earned an All Black jersey. And on the chance NZ won't win the RWC, we have then spent $550,000 on a player who has left New Zealand. Mean while, the player in NZ, who stayed in NZ to earn the jersey through years of hard work will leave due to not being appreciated or payed as much as a player who has just come to New Zealand. I would be fine with putting him in the ABs and maybe paying him $400,000 if I believed he had intentions of staying, hell, if he performed god like in the ITM Cup, when his contract is renewed in 2012 I'd even pay him what he is currently getting, IF he stuck around, with the way he talks now, that doesn't seem likely.

Agree entirely with you on this.

I'd be ****** if I was a Kiwi.

I have serious reservations about MacAlister in the 12 or 13 jersey. I do not believe his defence in the midfield is up to the mark at International level.

Most Kiwis will remember that MacAlister was at 12 in the 2007 RWC quarter final loss to France, but what some might not remember is that he played at 13 when we lost to Australia in Melbourne earlier in the same year. In three of the four tries that were scored against us in those two matches (two in each match), he was out of position in the midfield, and in the fourth one (in Melbourne) he missed an easy tackle on Mortlock.

IMO, the warning signs about MacAlister's flaky defense was there in the Melbourne match, but Ted and his cohorts just didn't take heed.

As for SBW, he has the skill and the capability of making an outstanding 12. Whether he will or not is down to him

One thing is for sure though; if immersion in the Rugby Culture at Canterbury and the Crusaders can't get him sorted, then nothing can.

IMO, he needs to get himself another manager, and get away from the influence and "advice" of that useless ****** ex-League player Anthony Mundine.

In fairness to McAlister, he has seen to have gotten much stronger and bulked up some what.

Thing is which is scary ... McAlister, Nonu, Stanley and SBW ... jesus thats some depth there. All 4 will push each other and if McAlister's defence is suspect he will have to improve it. Of what I have seen of him he looks good. Be difficult not to see him involved in the Tri-Nations.

he's playing for Belfast, Canterbury and then the Crusaders

he's playing for Belfast, Canterbury and then the Crusaders
Yeah, it's great news. I have a good friend that grew up in the Belfast club and his family is still involved...they're well pleased.

How much will he really play for Belfast?

Every minute of every feckin' match!

or more realistically once in a blue moon, like all the other players. I believe Ireland has a similar setup where players are linked to a club, then the province, then the national setup. Like B'OD is linked with Blackrock College (or UCD), then Leinster, then Ireland. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

How much will he really play for Belfast?

Very little (if at all). Its just a formality - you need to be officially associated with a club within your provincial union in order to play for that union, however you don't actually need to play for your club.

EDIT: Spot on ORothlain - beat me to it

Very little (if at all). Its just a formality - you need to be officially associated with a club within your provincial union in order to play for that union, however you don't actually need to play for your club.

EDIT: Spot on ORothlain - beat me to it
My sources do say He'll play his first match with Belfast. We shall see.

Latest posts