• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sonny Bill Williams: "Rugby League is tougher than Union"

Why ? Stand-Off and Fly-Half are practically identical positions.

Because the CV requirements of Union backs (particularly below Pro levels) is not all that high.
And unless you are a crash ball merchant you are not going to carry into contact more than a handful of times during the game.

The most challenging thing about Union (in my experience) has always been rucking, scrummaging and mauling.
The physical demands of being a back are nowhere near those of being a forward.

Because the CV requirements of Union backs (particularly below Pro levels) is not all that high.
And unless you are a crash ball merchant you are not going to carry into contact more than a handful of times during the game.

The most challenging thing about Union (in my experience) has always been rucking, scrummaging and mauling.
The physical demands of being a back are nowhere near those of being a forward.

But how would you average Union prop cope with playing Rugby League ? In my experience Union props generally carry more body fat than your League props, although I appreciate that that is somewhat necessary because of the set piece. Personally, I don't think that too many International RU prop forwards would have the stamina to cope with playing Rugby League. As I said earlier, Adam Jones wouldn't last 10 minutes but he is still a world class front rower.

As you suggest, completly different levels of physical strengths needed which is why it's difficult to judge. Every individual is different which is why even those who have played both in the same position will have a different opinion to the next one. Completely different games as a forward.

Last edited:
That's why the games as a whole can't really be compared.

I'd concede that being a Union back is not really as tough as being a League back. (that's not to say one is easier than the other)

But for forwards there isn't really any way to compare them.
There is barely any crossover for them - even the fundamentals of ball carrying and tackling are very different.

I'd agree that league players are in general fitter, some of the tackles made stats are ****ing unbelievable. But I do think that the force of rucks, mauls and scrums in union means that the forwards take a bit more of a battering.

I've played both and Rugby League is much more demanding physically. Difference in collision speed is huge. I started out playing Rugby League out side of school and Union in school and the latter was a doddle to be honest fitness wise. I've always said that Rugby League is arguably the most physically demanding sport out there and stand by that.

I think rugby league is similar to rugby sevens, but with 13 players. All players must have a low percentage of fat and much stamina but there are fewer injuries and less dangerous.

Most of the injuries I had in Union happened when I was rucking or mauling, it's a very difficult situation because if you are the ball carrier and you're beaten , when you hit the floor, the forwards of the opposing team will try to tread. In the rucking I have fractured a hand, I think the rucks is the most hardest part of the union, are real battles , and players in the league are not exposed to them .

From my experience I would say the most difficult positions in Union are the flanker and the number 8. The reasons? They have to be as strong as a prop or hooker and almost as fast as a back, all this combined with a lot stamina. Given its position in the field, they are players that get more hits and participate in rucking almost as much as the prop or hooker.

Last edited:
But how would you average Union prop cope with playing Rugby League ? In my experience Union props generally carry more body fat than your League props, although I appreciate that that is somewhat necessary because of the set piece. Personally, I don't think that too many International RU prop forwards would have the stamina to cope with playing Rugby League. As I said earlier, Adam Jones wouldn't last 10 minutes but he is still a world class front rower.

As you suggest, completly different levels of physical strengths needed which is why it's difficult to judge. Every individual is different which is why even those who have played both in the same position will have a different opinion to the next one. Completely different games as a forward.

How would your average League prop cope if he had to scrummage? or league 2nd row for that matter. Unless you have played in the forwards in union its hard to judge. I have only played league a few times and yes found it hard work but I didnt feel as battered, bruised and generally shattered as I would after playing as a flanker or 2nd row in union.

How would your average League prop cope if he had to scrummage? or league 2nd row for that matter. Unless you have played in the forwards in union its hard to judge. I have only played league a few times and yes found it hard work but I didnt feel as battered, bruised and generally shattered as I would after playing as a flanker or 2nd row in union.

Thats why you can't compare them. All depends on the individual. Depends on the level you are playing at as well.

Last edited:
I watched Sonny bill on CNN sport talking frankly about his sporting achievements in league,union and boxing( I could have sworn my wife was drooling!) He clearly said when he returned to league he had to get up to speed on his fitness.When I watch the contribution of Nonu, his workrate seems to be phenomenal.With all the ball carrying and tackling, though he sometimes infuriatingly misses a few.Perhaps Sonny bill never used to get in involved as much .( I can't remember) it just seems odd to me that he emphasised the difference in fitness levels.

Wait until he's getting paid by the NZRFU, then ask him the same question.

I played a season at hooker (or rake) in league when I was a young fella, many many moons ago. Tough game.

I never played rugby at a high level but I did play a fair bit of rugby through school and a little while after.
I played in the backs in rugby and it was definitely easier than playing league, but I know the forwards in rugby had a LOT more work to do than I did in the backs.
Back then (in the 80's) backs didn't mix it up as they do in later periods of modern rugby.

Sonny Bill is probably a bit gutted that he hasn't had much press from the RWC.

Last edited:
League is a much more simple sport. Two lines hitting each other for 80 mins, its basic collision. Where union is more close quarters in the forwards and more one on one in the backs.

Latest posts