• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sooo cool! IPL type rugby tournament!!!! :)

rugbywriter

Academy Player
:):):) I think this is a fantastic idea!!!

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=14

South Africa will host an IPL-type rugby competition from January 2012.

According to a front-page story in Rapport on Sunday, the world’s best 200 players will take part in the eight-team tournament. The matches will be 40 minutes each (20 minutes a half) and played at two of SA’s new World Cup stadiums.

The rules of this new version of the game still have to be confirmed but there could be restrictions on kicking, in order to produce more running rugby.

Players could earn more from appearing in the three-week competition than from their annual provincial or club contracts. This is currently the case in cricket, with its stars making more than $1 million in the six-week IPL (Indian Premier League).

Western Province senior professional coach Rassie Erasmus and lawyer Frikkie Erasmus are part of the consortium that will manage the tournament.

‘We should be given the green light within the next two months,’ Frikkie Erasmus told keo.co.za. ‘It’s something that’s been talked about for a long time. We’ve seen how successful the IPL has been and recognise the need for a rugby equivalent.’

Erasmus added that the tournament could take place before the Super 15 and that ’scientific investigations’ are being conducted to see what impact it would have on players’ conditioning.

He also confirmed that the new franchises would be privately owned and have no association with Super Rugby teams.

Interesting idea - don't know if I like it.

If the players are guaranteed big money, I'm sure they'd jump all over the concept. January is slap bang in the middle of the European season so securing player release from this side of the equator would be quite difficult. The only time I could see it working would be June since that's when European teams generally tour the southern hemisphere in games which don't really capture the public's imagination. If the new competition split revenue with the NZRU, UAR, ARU and SARU this tournament could be a goer.

Interesting idea - don't know if I like it.

If the players are guaranteed big money, I'm sure they'd jump all over the concept. January is slap bang in the middle of the European season so securing player release from this side of the equator would be quite difficult. The only time I could see it working would be June since that's when European teams generally tour the southern hemisphere in games which don't really capture the public's imagination. If the new competition split revenue with the NZRU, UAR, ARU and SARU this tournament could be a goer.

Yeah I see what you mean. They are going to get quite big money. But I also don't agree woth having it in January. Should be June or October/November. Still, its going to be very exciting!

If the Euro clubs have the players contracted, they won't be allowed to go to this. Anyone who has ambitions of playing test rugby won't leave a regular rugby season to be a high-paid part time player.

All this will attract is no-hoper journeymen and past it 'superstars' after that final paycheck now the French have to cap their wages. And it will be a monumental failure.

Stupid idea.

As if we need more rugby in the season, players play enough and this is going to create more problems than it's worth.

Feicarsinn agrees with the above sentiments. He also love speaking of himself in the third person.

Yeah I see some of your guys points, but look at how succesful the IPL was foe cricket. I think the huge checks will make the players want to play it.

Rubbish idea imo
Yeah I see some of your guys points, but look at how succesful the IPL was foe cricket. I think the huge checks will make the players want to play it.
Which will then damage domestic and international rugby

I don't think the IPL has been good for cricket. T20 has been but lets not forget the ECB came up with the idea, all the IPL has done is thrown millions of pounds into a tournament that without it would be nothing.

I guess we have to call it 50/50 in terms of positives vs. negatives. It's not a long tournament and the games are only 40 mins long each way, so its not going to be like murder for the players. And other countries might start thinking of rugby as being more exciting. But I do see problems with injury concerns, player availibility etc. I think it should be given a chance and everyone should watch it with an open mind, but if it is a flop, then they musn't do it again.

I guess we have to call it 50/50 in terms of positives vs. negatives. It's not a long tournament and the games are only 40 mins long each way, so its not going to be like murder for the players. And other countries might start thinking of rugby as being more exciting. But I do see problems with injury concerns, player availibility etc. I think it should be given a chance and everyone should watch it with an open mind, but if it is a flop, then they musn't do it again.

That's my mistake. I just meant each

There are no positives in this proposal. If people think club vs country is bad for the sport, what the hell do they expect when it's club v country vs bullshit money league.

And Rugby is not Cricket.

There are no positives in this proposal. If people think club vs country is bad for the sport, what the hell do they expect when it's club v country vs bullshit money league.

And Rugby is not Cricket.

+1
All this is is a money making exercise for South African rugby, which currently cannot financially compete with European Rugby.

Also, the IPL is played in a cricket mad country with a population of over 1 billion- that's a far bigger market than South Africa where rugby is only loved by a portion of the nation. India's TV market is what drives the IPL's insane wages. SA's market won't come anywhere close.

Before i saw that he said it was from a newspaper, i thought he'd written the post and that when he said "the 200 best" he just meant "SA rugby players" :p

Latest posts