• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sooo cool! IPL type rugby tournament!!!! :)

People say I insult people too much but what have I done here to warrant insults against me?

well i think its pretty bloody obvious for goodness sake...

in your signature, the smiley faces eyes are unsymmetrical.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27316051-23217,00.html
Former Wallabies skipper Phil Waugh and young gun James O'Connor have been sounded out about joining a South African Twenty20-style rugby tournament.
But it appears organisers of the bold scheme to emulate the Indian Premier League with souped-up 40-minute games have little chance of picking up players in their prime.
The Australian Rugby Union has indicated contracted Super 15 players would be off-limits to the mooted eight-team league to be played in January 2012.
Waugh, O'Connor, Drew Mitchell and Matt Giteau - all off contract after the 2011 World Cup - have been named as prime targets in South African reports.
Waugh and O'Connor both confirmed approaches while Mitchell said news of the concept was news to him as he prepared for the Wallabies clash with Ireland on Saturday night.
O'Connor, 19, virtually ruled out signing on if the concept got off the ground due to the fact it would likely end his burgeoning Test career
"It's in the back of my mind but it's two years off and I don't know what I'll be doing next week on my break let alone 2012,'' he said.
"To be honest, I play rugby to play for Australia. That's always been my dream and I would do nothing to jeopardise playing for my country.
"As (coach) Robbie Deans says 'it goes so quick and you have to cherish every moment in that jersey'.''
Waugh, who has been overlooked by Deans in 2010 and just picked up a knee injury in club rugby, said while he'd held some preliminary discussions with organisers but he only knew sketchy details.
"It's obviously all speculation at the moment and if it comes to fruition only time will tell,'' the NSW skipper said.
The idea is being strongly pushed by former Springbok flanker Rassie Erasmus but the promoters have little chance of receiving support from the New Zealand and South African boards let alone the ARU.
European-based players would also be hard-pressed to sign up as January falls in the middle of the northern season while Super 15 coaches won't want to release their players in the pre-season.
The best organisers could hope for would be luring off-contract veterans and journeymen in between international stints.
"It's right at the front end of the Super 15 and Super 15 teams would not be too enthusiastic about their guys not taking part in their pre-season preparations,'' said Queensland Reds coach Ewen McKenzie.
"It might be good for players who are retiring.''

I'm pretty sure that Jamie Heaslip, Brian O'Driscoll and Ronan O'Gara are off contract after the 2011 World Cup. All could be targetted for the new competition if the money is right but O'Driscoll and O'Gara will be long past their best. I wonder if League players will be targetted too since the NRL and Super League will be off season.

As GazzaJAnimal has said, a Sevens club comp may be a better bet now that Sevens is an Olympic sport. Already some American entrepreneurs habe proposed some Sevens club comps in the past before Sevens' profile grew (the doomed indoor W.A.R and non-starter AmericanRFL).

Rugby to copy ipl!

Rassie Erasmus, a Cape Town lawyer businessman, and two very well-known names in South African rugby are in the process of founding a new international competition in South Africa â€" something that will change the look of SA rugby dramatically.

The new competition will begin in January 2012 and is based on the Indian Premier League cricket series with shorter matches lasting only half as long as a normal game, and adjustments to rules to make the game faster.

More than 200 of the world's finest rugby players will fight it out at the city's brand new World Cup Soccer stadiums in Cape Town and Durban, playing in a series in which eight teams with a lot of international flavour will compete for about three weeks for handsome prize money.

Springboks like John Smit, Victor Matfield, Bryan Habana, Schalk Burger, Jean de Villiers, Juan Smith, Jaque Fourie, Heinrich Brüssow and Bismarck du Plessis, All Blacks stars like Richie McCaw and Daniel Carter and the Aussies Phil Waugh and James O’Connor, as well as several other top players from England, France and Argentina will be part of the new competition.

Erasmus will stay on as the Cape Town director of rugby.

The planned ISR competition will however force the country's provincial unions to review their current players' contracts. South Africa, New Zealand and Australia's Super Rugby franchises may also have to think about their preparations for this annual competition between teams of the Southern Hemisphere.

Super rugby teams usually start training early in January but in 2012, coaches may have to wait until February before they can begin preparing as players may be involved with the new competition.

All the international players who have been earmarked to play in the first ISR competition, have contracts with their national bodies and relevant provincial unions and teams that expire at the end of 2011.

They will only sign new contracts with their countries and any provincial unions or teams if they are allowed to take part annually in the ISR competition from 2012.

But the new competition Could also be of great benefit for the South African Rugby Union as local players will be able to earn extra money in the series and therefore not have to leave the country for better pay overseas.

The expectation is that top players will earn millions â€" more than their current annual salaries â€" in the ISR series and will have no reason to seek greener pastures outside of South Africa.

Latest posts