• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa director of rugby Rassie Erasmus to face misconduct hearing

It would proof Rassie's genious....take away something that we've already won and enjoyed and don't care about anymore, we just want to play the AB's and that great european team called Ireland.....

LOL
But on a serious note, it would cause an absolutely humongous fallout and rift in the game. South Africa would probably announce a plan to breakaway and play against themselves each week untill the end of time!

This is going to end badly whatever happens.
- Strip SA of the ***le and they will say it's sour grapes and that WR is owned by the big 6N teams.
- Punish only Erasmus and it will be claimed it's the big powers silencing someone telling the truth
- Neither Erasmus nor SA punished it will be used as a test case to say coaches are allowed to engage in this behaviour and the game becomes virtually impossible to ref, instead the focus being put on a huge whinge-fest and the entire credibility of the sport being called into question

Ultimately I think the least damaging course of action is for Erasmus to face a penalty but stripping SA of the ***le doesn't seem justified and awarding it to the Lions instead is sheer madness. By extension though I'd want to see a greater clampdown on some of the stupid antics employed by coaches in the media if Erasmus is punished. For example when Gatland and the Welsh coaching team whined like crazy in public and private about a non-try in a Wales vs England game that was literally decided by going back and forth between 2 or 3 frames in a replay. That should never have been allowed. Coaches should be allowed to challenge ref decisions and ask for clarification. Hell they should be allowed to rant for a whole hour but it should be through proper channels, not through social media. At most the coach should say they have gone through the channels with any complaints but that should be the extent of it.

I'd also end the waterboy antics. Members of the coaching staff not to be allowed on the field of play end of.

EDIT seems the filter is a bit overzealous when you try to write ti tle...

Last edited:
I agree that Rassie needs a spanking...ban him from stadiums for 2 years or something.....but to take away a result would be pathetic, and purely Lions driven(that's how it would be taken anyways).....don't think SA would ever play the Lions again if that happens. It's the Lion's unions plus the Aussies that are rooting for big punishment. Would not go well after that.

Just give Erasmus a slap on the wrist to say cop on with the antics or we will escalate and be done with it. I don't think even Warren Gatland wants a Lions series they demonstrably lost on his record.

They aren't going to strip SA of the win, I could see it if this wasn't the first time but not on the first time being bought up on these kind of charges.

Anyone out there know if Erasmus / SA rugby is found to have breached reg 18.4 (misconduct), would this be enough to trigger disrepute / misconduct clauses in SA rugby's sponsorship agreements?

Anyone out there know if Erasmus / SA rugby is found to have breached reg 18.4 (misconduct), would this be enough to trigger disrepute / misconduct clauses in SA rugby's sponsorship agreements?
Also won't happen, they'll target Erasmus only with a huge warning to everyone else at most.

He needs taking down a peg…or twelve, I think !
The waterboy situation still needs sorting out and I am all for only Medics to be able to talk to the Coaches directly. Things do need to change to prevent another farcical situation like we have seen this summer.

I agree Rassie needs a severe reprimand, otherwise we'll have an open door for all coaches to behave in the same way from now on (I'd suggest there's a fair few that can't wait). I'd also want World Rugby to clarify who can enter the field of play - medics and non coaching staff only (waterboys to be from non playing squad).

Lol. Like, he probably should get a slap on the wrist, stadium ban for 1-2 games or something like that.

But I genuinely don't care and don't think it's going to effect rugby at all.

He deserves a long ban, need to discourage other coaches from doing the same and destroying the respect refs need.

But world rugby also need to stop all these different versions of the game the refs create.

He deserves a long ban, need to discourage other coaches from doing the same and destroying the respect refs need.

But world rugby also need to stop all these different versions of the game the refs create.
It would probably be easier to stop all these different versions of the game if they weren't revising the rules every world cup cycle.

It would probably be easier to stop all these different versions of the game if they weren't revising the rules every world cup cycle.
Agree and disagree, the northern and Southern Hemisphere refs have reffed the game different irrespective of the law changes. The ruck is the biggest area where refs literally play a completely different game. It needs sorting.

Latest posts