• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa RWC Preview

Riaan Viljoen for the future? The guy is 28 already! When looking at the future I think Jaco Taute is one to watch. Viljoen needs a chance in the next 2 years otherwise a great talent is forever lost on us.

Riaan Viljoen for the future? The guy is 28 already! When looking at the future I think Jaco Taute is one to watch. Viljoen needs a chance in the next 2 years otherwise a great talent is forever lost on us.

wasnt aware he was so old sorry my mistake! as for his chances i would rather see us bleed in younger blood in the next two years, like sadie, ebersohn, lambie, etc.

Lambie has a shocking kicking ration for SHARKS! He has improved in 2011 but still not tried and tested at TEST level!
NB* The sitter he missed in front of the posts on the UK tour last year?

Lambie had a kicking ratio of 86% this year for the Sharks! That is even higher than Dan Carter, Morne Steyn and James O'Connor!!!

Pat Lambie in 2 - 3 years will be one of the best players in the world. That is my prediction.

Has no fear and will only get better with more test to his name.

Lambie has a shocking kicking ration for SHARKS! He has improved in 2011 but still not tried and tested at TEST level!
NB* The sitter he missed in front of the posts on the UK tour last year?
he missed a sitter on his debut and at the age of twenty! give him a break he has come a long way since then....he willl face his toughest test against the all blacks this weekend and i expect he will impress! do yourself a favor and watch him

I love Lambie, just saying he is not the man to go to when it comes to kicking at this years RWC. I agree, he is our future but his time for kicking at poles will come. We have a 90% kicker in Morne Steyn and he deserves his chance at this World Cup. He has proved himself as a kicker and that is what any team needs at the RWC. People forget that he has the record for kicking 40 plus consecutive kicks @ Test level. HE has also proved himself in the Lions Series. Agreed he is not the most attacking Fly Half but Lambie can come into that channel if he is playing fullback. If Oz can cover Quades weaknesses with Ione covering his channels defensively we could also think out the box and use Lambie strategically. This strategy will ensure that we do not have any obvious weaknesses when it copmes to attack or kicking goals.

Pick your kicker (Morne) first in a WC and then your players!

Just a wee thing on Lambie's kicking at poles.

If he were still around, JJR could attest that Lambie was an absolute ace-kicker at school and youth levels, and playing on full sized fields, nae the reduced ones.
He once went something like 20 consecutive kicks without a miss, mightily impressive for a school boy. His kicking had a bit of wobble last year in his 'debut' year, but is gradually returning to his former standards.

Anyhoo, with Smith out of contention, who does everyone think will make up the loose trio going into the tournament?
Brussouw, Schalk and Spies are definites, with Alberts looking to be 4th choice, and with Russouw 'able' to cover a loose-forward position, there should be one more loosie.
Steggman has recently sustained an injury that will keep him out for a few weeks, and as the sole other 'decent' (depending on who you are) in the country, I would have put my money on him. So, Johnson, Deysel and if fit, Vermualen are the left over culprits. I cannae decide which PdVivvie will go with, but will most likely prefer the two former over the latter.

Just a wee thing on Lambie's kicking at poles.

If he were still around, JJR could attest that Lambie was an absolute ace-kicker at school and youth levels, and playing on full sized fields, nae the reduced ones.
He once went something like 20 consecutive kicks without a miss, mightily impressive for a school boy. His kicking had a bit of wobble last year in his 'debut' year, but is gradually returning to his former standards.

Anyhoo, with Smith out of contention, who does everyone think will make up the loose trio going into the tournament?
Brussouw, Schalk and Spies are definites, with Alberts looking to be 4th choice, and with Russouw 'able' to cover a loose-forward position, there should be one more loosie.
Steggman has recently sustained an injury that will keep him out for a few weeks, and as the sole other 'decent' (depending on who you are) in the country, I would have put my money on him. So, Johnson, Deysel and if fit, Vermualen are the left over culprits. I cannae decide which PdVivvie will go with, but will most likely prefer the two former over the latter.

Any news on the fitness of Vermeulen? If he was fit I would pick him (but I don't think the South African selectors will...). Kankowski is another that may be in contention, but he seems to be out of favour at the moment. I think they will go for Johnson, but personally I wouldn't pick him.

Lord Hope

Good explanations!

The 12 spot could go the way of Jean de Villiers, Juan de Jongh or Wynand Olivier. Olivier has been poor so far for RSA in 2011 and so will probably not be the guy. I didn´t go for JdV because from what I have seen of him he has not ben able to have the same impact on a match as previously. In any event I picked all three in the squad of 30.

Wynand Olivier has ALWAYS been poor in a green jersey.

François Steyn should play 12 in my opinion, he is very overrated as a full back

I like Ruan Pienaar playing 10, but unfortunately he's not the best goal kicking option

Agree, Steyn doesn't have the game to play at 15. He should only be considered at 12 along with JdJ and JdV. JdJ is probably cursed because the fact that he can play 13 as well puts him in as a bench option where Steyn is probably likely to end up (22 jersey) as he can cover 15 as well. The other option is to have Aplon in at 11 and he could move to the back. My preference would be to drop JdV though and have JdJ at 12 with Steyn at 22 (that AND drop Habana for Aplon). lambie is a good shout for 15 at this stage as that's wher he has played most of his rugby though not at a high level (okay, Junior RWC is probably very high LOL). It'd be good to give him that experience (which he has earned) but i hope he goes back to 10 at the Sharks and post RWC for SA as that's where we need him alongside Sias Ebersohn and Johan Goosen or Elton Jantjies for the future. My preference would also have been Viljoen at 15 with Lambie at 10 but that option became impossible last year as that's when we should have given it a go. At the back we do have Taute and Ludik who should be good for the Bokke.

Lambie raw? Yet you choose Jantjies coz he was good for RSA in 2010? He was hot/cold for Lions in 2010 Currie Cup and played one game for South Africa vs the Barbarians EOYT...

I agree to disagree.

I agree LOL

The only other options for fly-half are Elton Jantjies (NO), Peter Grant (Maybe), Sias Ebersohn (Definitely for the future). Pienaar fly-half is the best option we have if we want Lambie at full-back. I would prefer Lambie at 10 with Riaan Viljoen full-back though

T_T

Could have been beautiful. Viljoen adn Smith missing the RWC makes me very sad. Pity Vermeulen probably won't make it as well (as back-up) behind Rossouw, Deysel, Johnson.

PdV has been messing up the Springbok side ever since he took over, here are 6 managerial blunders from his time in charge

• As stormer2010 says he nearly, by not selecting Brussow, lost the 2009 Lions series (I believe without Brussow the Lions would have won)
  • He selected Adrian Jacobs ahead of Jaque Fourie for two years
  • He had endless loyalty to Ricky Januarie, despite him long being viewed universally as crap, was dropped about a year and a half too late
  • Still has endless loyalty to John Smit, he selects him on the stupid basis that he's a "good leader" despite being about the fifth of sixth best South African hooker, Nelson Mandela is a good leader should he be expecting a call up to Springboks pack?
  • Still has Zane Kirchner in the 50 man RWC squad ahead of players such as Riaan Viljoen
  • Has allowed Bryan Habana take his place for granted and his performances has suffered because of that

Duanne Vermuelen if fit, Kankowski (can double up as a lock) or Deysel are the obvious options but PdV will have political pressure to add players of colour so my thinking is that Ashley Johnson will get the nod.

Johnson has had a great season but his defence is weak and you can't have that @ Test level!

Latest posts