• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs Argentina

I'd forgotten about Skinstad. Thought you were reserving him for a showdown with Dallaglio in the final - zimmer frame showdown at the centre spot.

Since the Pumas legend was born against SA (yes we have already beaten the Boks at their own homeland) and the SANZAR still acts as if we didn't exist it is going to be a huge chance to prove those fat greedy boys wrong.

Sure, SA is probably the best team left to win the RWC on the papers, but weren’t the AB’s also supposedly the very best…

I'm sure Los PUMAS will put all their hearts and souls to win this semi. SA will probably think that they already have the final ticket in their pocket (even if they try not to think about it)and that will probably be their doom. And the mind game is going to be very, very important.

We just haven’t seen what Los Pumas can do on the pitch in a good day, there were only some flashes of what this Team of Pumas can do. They will have to face the most effective and strong team in the tourney but we have mystic and cunning, spirit and flair, precision and tactics.

Pumas to win by 9.

"give them nothing but take from them EVERYTHING..."

Who would've thought that the Puma's would make it this far and actually look like a chance?

I really hope that they pull something out.

Well, there's no doubt about it that they'll definitely give us a very hard time on Sunday, that's for sure.

I have to commend the Argentinians for getting this far - they played some truly awesome rugby. But obviously I hope SA wins the semi :p

yeah i'd really love it if argentina win the RWC. it'd be great for rugby globally and for their country!

my 2nd preference would be for england to win it, they've grown on me. i couldn't stand it if south africa win it, coz then we'd never hear the end of it during the tri nations and super14!!!

I hope for the Argies, but I think South Africa will win this... it will be close though. Argentina are like the Italy football team of rugby in this tournament. Play to their opponents weaknesses and tactically difficult to play against. [/b]

Yes, and then as massive favourites, get a penalty shot at goal with no time left to knock their opponent out... yes that's it. We Aussies haven't forgotten the FIFA WC Top 16 match.

los pumas to win by 6 again! i think this might be a high scoring (24-30 or so) game in comparison to the game vs scotland and it will be some exciting rugby!

gooo Pumas!!!!

los pumas to win by 6 again! i think this might be a high scoring (24-30 or so) game in comparison to the game vs scotland and it will be some exciting rugby!

gooo Pumas!!!! [/b]

what makes you think it will be a high scoring game?? both sides are great at playing controlled rugby, not throwing caution to the wind. I can't see the Pumas scoring lots of tries, so i think the size of the scorelines will depend on how frequently the ref blows his whistle.

I really think it's going to be an awesome game, I obviously want SA to win but if Argentina pull it off
then good on them :D

This is the way I see it unfolding:in possession, the Argies will play it like they`ve played throughout this tourney to date, playing to their strengths. And that means using a formidable front row with tremendous power and a brilliant bajada technique, to get themselves forward momentum. And they`ll use their powerful no.8 to get across the gain line. They`ll also pump in loads of up-and-unders on Monty, JP and Habana. Naturally, Contepomi and Hernandez will pepper the touch line, driving the kicks into the corners. And they`ll take a few drop kicks at goal.

On defense, they`ll use Lobbe to effectively slow down SA ball. He`s been absolutely outstanding to date, my player of the tourney by a country mile. And they`ll continue to use what has been a very effective drift defense.

So how should the Boks play them? Firstly, and this might sound a bit weird, but we`ll need to play a real no.8 at the back of the scrum. Enter His Royal Bobness. Schalk`s got all the power, pace and offloading skills, but you just can`t become an international 8 in a matter of 100 minutes of rugby. And Danie, bless his darling heart and stupid head, just doesn`t have either the pace, body position or the skills set for 8. Especially behind a pack that won`t spend the entire game on the front foot.

We should look to attack the Argie lineout. If there`s one area where the Argie pack might be a bit vulnerable, it`s in the lineout- and with jumpers like Botha, Matfield, Smith and co, we could be successful there.

At the breakdowns, Lobbe must be neutralised, and Argie ball must be slowed in order to prevent the snap drops. This is an area in which the Argies haven`t been tested in, and we need to clean out effectively. Anything less, and there`ll be problems.

In the backs, I do see one, just one, potential vulnerability in the Argie defense. Playing the drift, your 13 could be exposed, either by taking him on on the outside, or by the blindside winger coming in off the angle, over his shoulder. We should be looking to bring the speedsters, Fourie, Habana and Pietersen, into positions to exploit this. Especially against Manuel Contepomi, who is maybe a year past his best. But to do this properly, you need quick ball. And therein lies neutralising Lobbe...

All in all, it should be a helluva game. Should`ve been the final, seeing as it`s the only 2 undefeated sides left in the tourney. I`m going for a Bok win, tentatively, waiting for the final team sheets....
[/b]

Manuel Contepomi is averaging over 10 tackles by game, and was several times the man with more tackles in the team.

Good news for the Boks is that there are no new injury scares at this stage of proceedings. And no citings either, for 2 weeks in a row ;) .

Both CJ and Bismarck have recovered from their various injuries, looks like CJ will start at tighthead, and Bismarck will take his rightful place on the bench ahead of the impostor Gary Botha. Good news, as we`ll need all the scrummaging power we can get against a damn good Argie scrum.

Viva AMABOKOBOKO!!!!!!!!

Good news for the Boks is that there are no new injury scares at this stage of proceedings. And no citings either, for 2 weeks in a row ;) .

Both CJ and Bismarck have recovered from their various injuries, looks like CJ will start at tighthead, and Bismarck will take his rightful place on the bench ahead of the impostor Gary Botha. Good news, as we`ll need all the scrummaging power we can get against a damn good Argie scrum.

Viva AMABOKOBOKO!!!!!!!!
[/b]

Good, more good, experienced and cool heads to beat up Habana, Steyn and James when they go hyperactive and to give Montgomery a boot up the arse when he goes AWOL again.

I should readjust my scoreline now, South Africa to win, just...

It's a pity we wont, in all likeliness, see doc Du Plessis in full action again this tournament - he did an extremely good job last time. But yes, we do need CJ, I won't argue that.

I'm very confident about our team for this semi. The only thing that wouldve made it even better would have been to have Jean de Villiers starting and B.J. Botha on the bench. But hey, we can make the best of it.

going to be a huge chance to prove those fat greedy boys wrong. [/b]
Oh yes! Good luck, and I hope the BOFs wake up to possibilities of the 7 Nations. I have no interest in the political or contractual aspects, I leave that nonsense to the parasites. If the current contractual position is that the 6 Nations remains the 6 Nations until 2010(?) then we need a Kerry Packer to break the rules.

Although Kerry Packer is dead. So we probably need an undead Kerry Packer.

I think one of the keys to the game will be how the Boks back three deal with the barrage of bombs that they will be dealt by the likes of Hernandez and Comtemponi as mentioned by a few posters - Percy Montgomery was well known early in his career to struggle under the high ball at times, and if he would drop one he would keep dropping them. In recent years he seems to have a matured and improved in this area of the game, however it will be interesting to see how he goes when the pressure goes on....

key will be discipline

if Boks stay disciplinated I can't see them losing

but it won't be easy 'cause some of their players often are out of control, Argies are very smart in underlining opponents fouls

and Steve Walsh is a bad ref