• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions - Test 2

Didn't they say he was back in training and they'd assess if he was fit for selection then?
I don't think they'd have bigged up his return so much if they weren't going to have him in the 23

A journo asked Tandy if 'he was in the mix for selection' and he replied yes.
It's a crucial test and so I think Gatland is largely going with his tried and tested credit in the bank players along some units.

Why would Gatland even consider starting Russell? Sure if the gameplan has any sort of ambition then yeah. But it seems its just a grinding game plan with a load of up and unders.

I think the aim with Falateau is he does a Vunipola. Comes off the bench and finds 20 minutes of form from nowhere

I'm surprised Adams hasn't made the 23. Covers wing and FB, similar to Daly, but has a far better scoring record. Farrell is already cover for centre and 10.

I'm surprised Adams hasn't made the 23. Covers wing and FB, similar to Daly, but has a far better scoring record. Farrell is already cover for centre and 10.
If it was back 3 cover then Adams over Daly any day of the week but when you need centre cover as well I think Daly would sneak it. We also have to remember Daly did the jobs for Gats in the back 3 in 2017

Daly had a bad match but let's not forget the style of game didn't really suit. He's suited to running rugby and quick ball. Kick chase is the apples to oranges

I don't accept he's some badly out of form and rubbish player

If it was back 3 cover then Adams over Daly any day of the week but when you need centre cover as well I think Daly would sneak it. We also have to remember Daly did the jobs for Gats in the back 3 in 2017
You don't really need centre cover though. Faz is just as capable at 12 as he is at 10 and Henshaw is able to comfortably shift outwards to 13 (he's started there this tour).

I'd feel better about Faz at 12 than Daly at 15.

Why not?
There's like 5 years of international evidence of that vs maybe 3 decent games this tour

He started his favoured position with the best 12 in Europe inside him, and the form 10 on tour at flyhalf - no excuses really

Well there isn't really much point debating Williams performance when he hasn't made the 23?
Your response to multiple points is about as selective as your pointing player flawes out, the way I read your original response though was Daly was awful and by far shouldn't be viable anywhere I was simply pointing out others hardly covered themselves in glory, if Daly has anything but a fantastic performance it's a shocker seems to be the consensus, others are just glossed over.

Did any player (apart from Farrell) have a shocker? I've seen Daly have them and Saturday wasn't one of them.

If you have Farrell on the bench anyway, is Daly needed for centre cover?

Daly had a bad match but let's not forget the style of game didn't really suit. He's suited to running rugby and quick ball. Kick chase is the apples to oranges

He's still got the worst tour tackle record

How has he been lately? Havn't followed the Currie Cup and he looked tired and/or disinterested in his 1st game for the Bulls from what I remember. Wasn't it hoeka in that loss vs Benetton where the entire Bulls team didn't look like they wanted to be anywhere near the game? Captain nogal if I'm not mistaken.
I went to do the research and found that the reason I have not seen him play recently was simply due to him not playing for the Bulls over the last few weeks. It appears that he has had Covid for the last couple of weeks and has not shrugged off the symptoms in time yet to play the last Bulls game vs the Pumas.

Yeh suspect the Boks will squeak this one as well to take it to a decider.

I went to do the research and found that the reason I have not seen him play recently was simply due to him not playing for the Bulls over the last few weeks. It appears that he has had Covid for the last couple of weeks and has not shrugged off the symptoms in time yet to play the last Bulls game vs the Pumas.

Really feel for him. Knee injury kept him out of world cup squad, and now this. Poor guy

Latest posts