• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South African Domestic Rugby

I don't think so because the Currie Cup has decades of history, unlike the ITM Cup. I don't need to see Matfield, du Preez and Habana for instance. I enjoy seeing some new explosive talent like Jean Deysel, Bjorn Basson, Lwazi Mvovo, Patrick Lambie, Sarel Pretorius and Michael Bondesio. It's nice to see what is underneath that mythical Bok-squad talent-wise.

The ITM cup doesn't have as long of a history as the Currie Cup but it has been going in some way since 1976, so theres still a fair amount of history there. Loads more than Super Rugby anyway.

From what i've read here, it seems to be an identical situation with the Currie Cup there and ITM Cup here.

What I don't understand though, is how the ITM Cup is so badly supported by the fans. Always empty stadiums while the Currie Cup, especially near the end, generates packed stadiums

What I don't understand though, is how the ITM Cup is so badly supported by the fans. Always empty stadiums while the Currie Cup, especially near the end, generates packed stadiums

South Africa has a population of what, 50 million?
NZ has a population of 4 million split into supporting 27 provincial teams.. Add to that the fact that there is so much rugby and available (Club level, School, Represntative, Super Rugby, Internationals) and the tickets are so damn expensive. Its just far too small of a country to pack the stadiums every week.

I don't think so because the Currie Cup has decades of history, unlike the ITM Cup. I don't need to see Matfield, du Preez and Habana for instance. I enjoy seeing some new explosive talent like Jean Deysel, Bjorn Basson, Lwazi Mvovo, Patrick Lambie, Sarel Pretorius and Michael Bondesio. It's nice to see what is underneath that mythical Bok-squad talent-wise.

Agreed, however it must be pointed out to Jayatron that there is still a host of Springboks that play in the Currie Cup, both current and 'over-the-hill'.
I mean, as with the ITM Cup the back-up internationals get released to play for their 'clubs' when the national team has a bye/ is not playing for a few weeks

Then there is also the case like the Sharks had last year, when Boks like Bismarck du Plessis, Beast Mtwarira, JP Pietersen and (after the start) Jannie du Plessis played in the early rounds after returning from injuries that resulted in other players getting called up to the Bok squad. Another prominent Bok last year that played in the CC was Juan Smith

Whilst other teams also had international level players and players (certainly in some of the posters here eyes) that should be in the Bok squad over, how should we say? Less effecient players? With your Duane Vermeulen, Dewald Duvenage (sp.), Brok Harris, Tiaan Liebenberg, Gary Botha, Gerhard van de Heever and a few others in the CC, playing second fidle to the Bok incumbents of Ricky Januarie, Chilliboy Ralepelle, John Smit, Zane Kirchner, Pierre Spies, Butch James and if consider how poor he was Francious Louw.

Frankly I think the Currie Cup is the most exciting when the Tri-Nations is on going, as with last year we saw the Pumas beat the Bulls and Lions, the Cheetahs got to display their nice brand of rugby, the Griquas as well (mind they weren't too far ahead of the Pumas and Leopards in some games, which were also exciting), oh and WP having their contingent of Boks (minus the backline) but still losing to the Sharks down in Durban :)

I pretty much agree with all that has been said thus far. Even without a squad of Springboks the Currie cup dishes up a couple of gems each year. And those Springboks aren't always the form players in SA in the first place.

Yes, SA has close enough to 50 mil people but it needs to be remembered that the actual rugby viewing public isn't close to the total public population. If rugby can take hold at schools level in what would have to be described as black communities, rugby can only benefit i this country. How effective our current administrators and policies are remain debatable however. Maybe that notion of rugby being a white-man-only sport is too deeply ingrained, I wouldn't know.

The Springboks are not our top players, The Currie Cup teams are haha

I pretty much agree with all that has been said thus far. Even without a squad of Springboks the Currie cup dishes up a couple of gems each year. And those Springboks aren't always the form players in SA in the first place.

Yes, SA has close enough to 50 mil people but it needs to be remembered that the actual rugby viewing public isn't close to the total public population. If rugby can take hold at schools level in what would have to be described as black communities, rugby can only benefit i this country. How effective our current administrators and policies are remain debatable however. Maybe that notion of rugby being a white-man-only sport is too deeply ingrained, I wouldn't know.

The rugby veiwing public is quite removed from the total population in NZ also; there are the avid rugby followers, the occasional fans, the people that pretend to be interested and then a large contingent of people who utterly despise the sport. I imagine the drop off isn't as steep as it is in South Africa, but they South Africans undoubtably have more rugby fans than NZ could hope to put together.

I also prefer curry cup games as those teams bring some decent stuff. No offense but the Boks are missing some inspiration

Interesting stuff. I've only ever watched bits, and highlights, but will defo check it out. When is the regular season start? Also sounds like a league packed full of talent. Didn't consider old boks being involved. More important though, is it a good brand?? Attacking??
I for one really enjoy the NPC and watch the Stags, and the big games, as much as I can. I wonder who win between Canterbury Vs Blue Bulls. Both former champions and just full of talent. Both teams could probably compete in the H-cup, easily. Shows the vast difference in quality really.

That may be true for the main centres but not so true for the Provincial regions. The main cities, Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin tend to identify more with the Super Rugby teams, but the Provinces tend to stick with their Provincial teams. I am more of the Nelson Bays/Tasman supporter than I am a Crusaders supporter.

Last year. Tasman was attracting crowds of 9500-10,500, pretty amazing for a town of 60,000.

If 10,500 people in a town of about 60,000 care enough to support their team, the atmosphere must be amazing Cooky? I can't imagine that many people showing up for a Boland game.

If 10,500 people in a town of about 60,000 care enough to support their team, the atmosphere must be amazing Cooky? I can't imagine that many people showing up for a Boland game.

It was, and its a little ground too (10,500 is capacity without the temporary stands they will be using at RWC) so its not like having 10,000 in a 40,000 seat stadium. At Tasman v Canterbury last year (which Tasman won) the atmosphere was electric. It was an afternoon game and there was a real buzz around the ground.

I'm not sure how it will be this year though, because Tasman are in the Championship, not the Premiership, although we still get to play some of the bigger teams with the "crossover" matches.

Anybody else here go to the Varsity cup final about a week ago ?

It was so packed there were about 18000 people crammed in the LC devillers stadium, we and quite possibly a couple hundred / thousand extra people were denied entrance because the stadium was overcrowded.

Was pretty ****** we couldn't get in but went on to watch the game in Hatfield square.
Just happy varsity rugby is so well supported again these days.

Anybody else here go to the Varsity cup final about a week ago ?

It was so packed there were about 18000 people crammed in the LC devillers stadium, we and quite possibly a couple hundred / thousand extra people were denied entrance because the stadium was overcrowded.

Was pretty ****** we couldn't get in but went on to watch the game in Hatfield square.
Just happy varsity rugby is so well supported again these days.

UCT again denied a home final.... so peefed

If I won a billion first thing I'd do is build a proper field and stands for UCT. I can't understand why they don't rent either Newlands or Cape Town stadium for the event as they would at least get these stadia half full. At least.

Latest posts