• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Southern Kings to play Super Rugby from 2013

You forgot who the President of EPRFU is...

Ag, Stofile is fine if you through him a bone or two and allow him to make some noise every now and then.

If transformation is required at instant speed then buy some of the promising black players from other unions and try and sell it:

1 Nyakane
2 Maku / Ralepele
3 Mujati
5 Mabeta
6 Kolisi
7 Mbiyozo
8 Mokuena
11 Mvovo / Sithole / Nokwe
12 Molefe
13 Grey
14 Mbovane
15 Stick / Mangweni

Take a few of these and add some real exerienced players in other positions and they shouldn't fare too much worse than the Lions.

Diretor of rugby: Alan Solomon
Head coach: Brendan Venter

1 Heinke van der Merwe / Guthro Steenkamp / Wian du Preez
2 Schalk Brits
3 Brian Mujati
4 Gerhard Mostert / Danie Rossouw / Gerrie Brits
5 Hottie Louw / Johan Muller
6 Gerhard Vosloo / Joe van Niekerk
7 Francois Louw
8 Ernst Joubert
9 Sarel Pretorius
10 Ruan Pienaar
11 Stefan Watermeyer
12 Francois Steyn
13 Jaque Fourie
14 Corne Uys
15 Mzwandile Stick
You seem to forget about John Smit, who would keep Shalk Brits on the bench.

I like Amobokoboko's idea of just playing each other once especially with the strong possiblity of an Argentine franchise at some point down the road. I would not lose any sleep over the conference system being dumped, the Australian conference was much weaker than the other two and I don't see that changing in the near future.

I like Amobokoboko's idea of just playing each other once especially with the strong possiblity of an Argentine franchise at some point down the road. I would not lose any sleep over the conference system being dumped, the Australian conference was much weaker than the other two and I don't see that changing in the near future.

They want the conference system dumped not because they don't like it as such. They just want it dumped to serve their own interests. I know for the Hurricanes, having a definite Crusaders and Blues home game each year is great for the franchise.

SA Rugby deputy president Mark Alexander has revealed that his organisation will lobby their SANZAR partners to increase Super Rugby to a total of 16 teams in 2013.This follows Saru's decision on Friday to include the Southern Kings in Super Rugby in 2013 which in essence leaves the current five unions in the dark about their participation in next year's competition.The other South African teams in the competition, Saru said, would be confirmed only after proposals from provinces were considered at their annual general meeting in March.Alexander said that they would be pushing for a sixth South African team in Super Rugby and therefore a Super 16 format."We've got the five franchises looking at the model, but first prize we are still lobbying our partners, we want to get a sixth franchise in, we believe it will be good for rugby and we don't want to see anybody go down," Alexander said."The last thing we want to do is to make a choice to push one of the franchises out."Saru, however, have a challenge on their hands as the current broadcast deal, which allows for 15 teams in the competition according to the conference system - will only be renegotiated in 2016.In addition Australia have spent the last 10 years trying to convince their partners to expand to the current 15 team format with geographic conferences and an extra week for the play offs and this system is clearly working for them as they are the current champions which would make them very reluctant to make any changes to a system that is clearly working well for them.New Zealand's Super Rugby teams struggled with attendances last year in the new format's first run but attendances may have been down as the Rugby World Cup was being held in the country later in the year creating a strain on fans ticket allowances.Financially speaking the New Zealand Super Rugby teams could be better off and they have seen better days so they would also probably be reluctant to agree any changes that could see a drop in ticket sales which would happen if they are forced to play weak oppostion teams.Alexander however remains postive that SARugby would be able to lobby its partners at Sanzar with Minister of Sport Fikile Mbalula's backing the idea."There is a window of opportunity with our partners, we are currently preparing a 16 team schedule so that we can go and debate with them," he said."I think our relationship with Sanzar has improved tremendously, we are very close to our partners in Australia and we work very closely with New Zealand and our relationship has changed."I think there is a window of opportunity provided we sell a workable solution about sixteen franchises playing in the competition."Alexander said Saru was well aware of what the consequences would be if one of the current South African teams had to make way for the Kings."We understand if one drops out it is very difficult to come back and compete again the following year, it makes it almost impossible," Alexander said.He said extending the competition to 16 teams would simplify the format."That would give you 15 games in a round robin stage, one plays four, two plays three in a final and that would reduce the number we currently play," he said. SARugby can expect stiff oppostion to the idea of reducing the number of matches as the broadcasters agreed to increase the value of the contract on the basis that the number of matches had been increased and Australia now have a full rugby season for the first time in their history.

Why did they accept the conference system with 15 teams if they were just going to complain a year later?

Why did they accept the conference system with 15 teams if they were just going to complain a year later?

Because Hoskins and Roux are retards and don't know the firs thing about rugby.

I don't like the way Super rugby is set up at the moment at all; basically the Aussies are getting their way at every corner, but we signed off on it and will have to deal with it for the period we commited. Hopefully the signing of a competent coach rubs off and we start getting competent administrators as well in the future.

Because Hoskins and Roux are retards and don't know the firs thing about rugby.

I don't like the way Super rugby is set up at the moment at all; basically the Aussies are getting their way at every corner, but we signed off on it and will have to deal with it for the period we commited. Hopefully the signing of a competent coach rubs off and we start getting competent administrators as well in the future.

Good response. It must be tough work being a fan of South African rugby sometimes.

I think having 6 teams each would be a great idea. At the moment you have 5 teams in each conference and it doesn't really work because teams need a bye week. This would make it fairer. A 15 team conference league just doesn't sound right to me. Look at the NFL with 32 teams.
And I don't think a franchise in Argentina is the way forward. Although i wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. Logistically it just wouldn't make a lot of sense having a conference system with countries on the other sides of the world from each other.

:) 6 Teams IN South Africa 6 Teams IN Australia 5 Teams IN New Zealand and 1 IN Argentina!!!! THAT WILL WORK!

6 teams in SA, 6 teams in AUS, 6 teams in NZ, No team in Arg. That will work :)
"And I don't think a franchise in Argentina is the way forward. Although i wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. Logistically it just wouldn't make a lot of sense having a conference system with countries on the other sides of the world from each other."
Do you understand English?

Last edited:
6 teams in SA, 6 teams in AUS, 6 teams in NZ, No team in Arg. That will work :)
"And I don't think a franchise in Argentina is the way forward. Although i wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. Logistically it just wouldn't make a lot of sense having a conference system with countries on the other sides of the world from each other."
Do you understand English?

Yep I do understand!. but believe me argentina will get a franchaise soon by the 2016 I hope! :p

The only way a single franchise in a foreign pool would work is for them to be based in that country like the Pampas XV in South Africa.

And, Oh please!!!! Six Super Rugby teams in Australia? Give me a break!!!

They don't even have enough talent to fill the five they have. They need to go importing players from other countries to fill the roster at the Rebels, so where on earth are they going to find 30 players to fill a sixth Franchise?

There are only two ways I can see Argentina being added to Super Rugby.

1. Two franchises, one each, based in Australia and New Zealand (with the Kings being the sixth in the SA COnference). This has its problems, not least of which are: Who will support them? Where will their home grounds be?

2. Argentina having a Conference of their own. I can see them having enough talent to have three competitive teams out of the five they need, but where is the money going to come from to pay 150 professional players?

What's the point of having the Southern Kings in the competition at all? They were competing against the Rebels for the 15th spot and didn't make it. Australia deserved to have 5 teams to balance it out and the Kings should have been disbanded there and then. Anyway, if any South African team should be added to Super Rugby it should be the Griquas. The Kings's Currie Cup side are a First Division team who (as far as I know) where nothing spectacular before they changed from being the BA Mighty Elephants to the Eastern Province Kings.
Super Rugby should tell the Southern Kings to forget about Super Rugby. It would make a mockery of the competition to add a new South African side (whether that brings the number of teams up to 16 or not) and not add an Argentinean representative or even a Japanese or Pacific Island team.
I don't get the obsession with the Southern Kings. The SARU have been trying to get them in for years. They have their right to choose their 5 teams but they can't just add in an extra one.

its got to do with politics (like everything in south african rugby...) i'm no expert, so i won't try and explain for fear of offending.

The only way a single franchise in a foreign pool would work is for them to be based in that country like the Pampas XV in South Africa.

And, Oh please!!!! Six Super Rugby teams in Australia? Give me a break!!!

They don't even have enough talent to fill the five they have. They need to go importing players from other countries to fill the roster at the Rebels, so where on earth are they going to find 30 players to fill a sixth Franchise?

There are only two ways I can see Argentina being added to Super Rugby.

1. Two franchises, one each, based in Australia and New Zealand (with the Kings being the sixth in the SA COnference). This has its problems, not least of which are: Who will support them? Where will their home grounds be?

2. Argentina having a Conference of their own. I can see them having enough talent to have three competitive teams out of the five they need, but where is the money going to come from to pay 150 professional players?

I agree that australia doesn't have the player base to sustain another super rugby franchise. as i have posted in other threads, if super rugby is to expand i believe it will be into a NFL style franchise system (AFC, NFC). this would involve australia playing new zealand in home and away (perhaps with extra local derbies still included) and south africa playing argentina. there is no other feasible way to include argentinian super rugby franchises with the distances involved and the number of games that would have to be played if every team was to play each other.

:) 6 Teams IN South Africa 6 Teams IN Australia 5 Teams IN New Zealand and 1 IN Argentina!!!! THAT WILL WORK!

what. the. f***...

sweet user name though

Last edited:
It's all got to do with Representation, and getting the rural communities in South Africa into the Sport. Due to our Racially Biased past, our Government has a real strong urge to get things right, but in the process, gets it most of the times wrong. Now most of you guys would have heard about the quota system we had some years back, in which all teams was forced to have a certain amount of non-white players in their team. Thankfully, our current sports minister has stopped that from being part of our rugby culture. And they have finally decided that the National Sports teams must pick players based on merit and not by the colour of their skin.

Now the idea of the government is to get systems in place to get rural communities and previously disadvantaged communities to get the kids from grassroots level upwards into a proper structure so that they can get into the game early on, and hopefully play Craven Week at age 13 & 17-18 level.

Now this is where the Southern Kings come into the picture. due to their Geographical location, with their home Stadium being in Port Elizabeth, that area of the country has a very big radius of poor communities and rural areas. The opinion of the Government is that there are hundreds of young guys with immense talent that just needs to be unearthed and show the world what they've got. This in essence means that the Southern Kings will be a team with mostly players from those areas. But they have problem in that the kids are reluctant to get into Rugby, as they play soccer from the age of 3 and most of those kids really don't like contact. So they are trying to win a very hard battle.

Whether this idea will work or not, we will have to wait and see, but at the moment it's a total shambles and a great source for Jokes...

It's all got to do with Representation, and getting the rural communities in South Africa into the Sport. Due to our Racially Biased past, our Government has a real strong urge to get things right, but in the process, gets it most of the times wrong. Now most of you guys would have heard about the quota system we had some years back, in which all teams was forced to have a certain amount of non-white players in their team. Thankfully, our current sports minister has stopped that from being part of our rugby culture. And they have finally decided that the National Sports teams must pick players based on merit and not by the colour of their skin.

Now the idea of the government is to get systems in place to get rural communities and previously disadvantaged communities to get the kids from grassroots level upwards into a proper structure so that they can get into the game early on, and hopefully play Craven Week at age 13 & 17-18 level.

Now this is where the Southern Kings come into the picture. due to their Geographical location, with their home Stadium being in Port Elizabeth, that area of the country has a very big radius of poor communities and rural areas. The opinion of the Government is that there are hundreds of young guys with immense talent that just needs to be unearthed and show the world what they've got. This in essence means that the Southern Kings will be a team with mostly players from those areas. But they have problem in that the kids are reluctant to get into Rugby, as they play soccer from the age of 3 and most of those kids really don't like contact. So they are trying to win a very hard battle.

Whether this idea will work or not, we will have to wait and see, but at the moment it's a total shambles and a great source for Jokes...

You got it all wrong, The kids of Porth elizabeth are a big reason why the Mandela stadium is a freaking "WHITE ELEPHANT"ALWAYS EMPTY, they dont give a **** about soccer, the SA soccer league only get like 3500 average attendance per game last year
:)lol:HAHAHAHA) u can check it on wikipedia. SO RUGBY IS BY FACTS SOOO MUCH MORE POPULAR!.Actually the only times the Mandela stadium is sold out is because the springboks are Playing a game there.. so your arguments lack of credibility my friend.:cool:

Besides the real reason why the Southern Kings Will Play in Porth Elizabeth Next Year. is because the local goverment is in panic cause the Mandela bay stadium is A PATHETIC WHITE ELEPHANT and they have to use like 40 Millions of dls every year just to keep the stadium working fine. and is a proved fact that NOBODY EVEN Bother to go to watch soccer in that stadium, actually all the soccer stadiums of 2010 in South Africa are white elephants an theres alot of news stories on the internet about that, only the stadiums where a rugby team are playing are not white elephants. so it looks to everybody that is soccer the one that is losing the battle so badly!. :D by the way please dont bring freaking silly excuses please...

You got it all wrong, The kids of Porth elizabeth are a big reason why the Mandela stadium is a freaking "WHITE ELEPHANT"ALWAYS EMPTY, they dont give a **** about soccer, the SA soccer league only get like 3500 average attendance per game last year
:)lol:HAHAHAHA) u can check it on wikipedia. SO RUGBY IS BY FACTS SOOO MUCH MORE POPULAR!.Actually the only times the Mandela stadium is sold out is because the springboks are Playing a game there.. so your arguments lack of credibility my friend.:cool:

By the way That one of "THE KIDS PLAY FROM THE AGE OF 3" is so so stoopid!, let me tell u dude that here on italy many of our kids play rugby from the age of 3 and in argentina as well... let me tell u the fact that more people go to the stadiums every year HERE IN ALL ITALY To watch the Italian rugby team than the italian soccer team, and u can check it too on wikipedia, you will see that the crowds of all the qualification matches and friendship games of the italian soccer team are behind of the crowds of the Italian rugby team 6 nations and test matches JUST CHECK IT PLEASE... so even if guys like u didnt like it, ARGENTINA WILL GET A FRANCHISE SOON IN THE SUPER RUGBY AND THAT IS THE ULTIMATE GOAL OF AGUSTIN PICHOT... REMEMBER WHEN YOU GUYS USE TO LAUGH OF THE IDEA OF ARGENTINA PLAYING IN THE TRI-NATIONS?? WELL JUST WAIT AND U WILL SEE AND ARGENTINAN TEAM IN THE SUPER RUGBY :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: