• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Spies fit, heading for France?

B

Bull

Guest
Durban - Pierre Spies may still play in the Rugby World Cup tournament. Two doctors have apparently found that the star No 8 will be fit to turn out for South Africa in France next month.

Springbok coach Jake White said on Tuesday if medical tests proved that Spies would be fit, he would be part of the tournament.

Hendrik Cronje reports from Bloemfontein that two doctors, one from Pretoria, and one from Johannesburg, are said to have found after intensive tests that Spies would be able to play in France.

Neither of the two could be contacted for comment on Tuesday.

It appears that pneumonia may have been the reason that Spies coughed up blood during a recent training session.

Spies was sent home to Pretoria from the Springbok team's training camp last week after medical examinations had shown he had clots on his lungs.

The initial diagnosis was that Spies would not be able to take part in any contact sport for six to eight months.

It was also reported that his condition may be genetic because his father, Pierre snr, a former Blue Bulls wing and star hurdles athlete, had died of a heart attack while in his fifties.

In text messages doing the rounds on Tuesday it was claimed that Spies would be able to play in the World Cup.

Spies's uncle, Dawie Spies, thanked supporters for their prayers and told Morris Gilbert, "We are positive that we will have very good news about Pierre before Friday."

White said on Tuesday evening it would be good news if Spies had recovered, "but we have heard nothing about it. All I know is that he was sent for further tests. I am waiting for the results.

"The position at this stage is that he was sent home for further tests. As soon as we have the results, we will make a decision," White said.

If Spies gets the all clear from the SA team's medical staff White will have to tell one of the 30 players in his present squad to stay at home.

The unfortunate one is likely to be hooker Bismarck du Plessis, who was called up to replace Spies last week. "In such an event, everything will return to normal, with only the two hookers who were initially selected," White said.

[/b]
 
J

Juggernaut

Guest
Can anyone please verify the rules regarding the squads to thr RWC. I'm dead certain that one of the requirements is that all squads should have three hookers.

If that's the case, it's gonna be good news for both Spies & Bismarck but bad news to someone else.
 
R

Rockstar

Guest
Damn thats good news! one minute he will never play rugby again...the next he's back ready for World Cup. Either the journalists are idiots or the doctors for givin out such bad news.
 
N

nosferatu

Guest
Can anyone please verify the rules regarding the squads to thr RWC. I'm dead certain that one of the requirements is that all squads should have three hookers.

If that's the case, it's gonna be good news for both Spies & Bismarck but bad news to someone else.

[/b]

Apparently BJ Botha can cover both tighthead prop and hooker (after having played that al U21 level).


Great news of Spies :good: , I hope his return will be confirmed soon.
 
B

BokMagic

Guest
Well, if he is indeed cleared to play, the initial diagnosis must have been way off. Because you just can`t recover that quickly from pulmonary embolism, which is a life-threatening condition, not just a career-threatening one. So if indeed he`s cleared to play, great news for both the Boks and obviously also for the entire Spies family.

Sad news for Bismarck though. But in the end, maybe the balance of the squad will be better with an extra specialist 8, and one who can really make an impact IMO.
 
Top