• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok 49 man squad announced

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Turns out the previous exercizes were just planning groups and not an indication of the 37 being considered for the final 30 man squad...

So miffed!

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2011/Bok-49-man-RWC-squad-named-20110620

I notice a lot of people being negative about Jacobs being in the squad, but he is very valuable with his experience. He is an impact player who can turn a match around when he comes on after 50 or 60 minutes. He has shown that with the Sharks time and time again this year.

Januarie is P Divvy's illegitimate child so he will always be in the squad

What??...already. Decisive from PDivvy.

I thought there was an IRB set deadline for provisional squads?

That's a fairly handy squad, could give Scotland a run for its money ;)
If Lambie does go to the WC, I wonder if we could see a M. Steyn at 10 and Lambie at 15 combo? But I guess that will depend on F. Steyn and how well/ bad he plays

is CJ van der Linde out due to injury or has he been in poor form and been dropped?

surprised there is no Sarel Pretorius, or Robert Ebersohn who have done well recently.

good to see Johann Muller there, on good form all season for Ulster

shame to see "the fab 4" in there, Januarie, Jacobs, Kirchner, Smit

Not too many surprises. Would have thought Brain Mujati may have been involved, but he hasn't been involved in any training camps thus far, so his exclusion is no real surprise. Others I thought may have been involved include CJ van der Linde, Peter Grant, Sarel Pretorius, Keegan Daniel, Dewald Potgieter, and Charl McLeod. The only ones of those that I would have included myself would be Pretorius, Grant, and possibly Daniel.

This is a great squad but the players I think don't deserve to be there are:

Kirchner
Januarie
Smit
Ndungane
Stegmann
Spies
Jantjies
Louw

With only Januarie being the absolute shocker, and Kirchner a bit less so. The rest are somewhat capable and/or experienced. I normally rag on Chilliboy but at this stage I'd have him over Smit. My one friends' Dad insists we take Smit to the RWC as a non-playing captain :lol: Just shows you how controversial his constant selection is becoming. People are trying to fit him into the picture by any means possible.

This is a great squad but the players I think don't deserve to be there are:

Kirchner
Januarie
Smit
Ndungane
Stegmann
Spies
Jantjies
Louw

With only Januarie being the absolute shocker, and Kirchner a bit less so. The rest are somewhat capable and/or experienced. I normally rag on Chilliboy but at this stage I'd have him over Smit. My one friends' Dad insists we take Smit to the RWC as a non-playing captain :lol: Just shows you how controversial his constant selection is becoming. People are trying to fit him into the picture by any means possible.

100% agreed on the players named here.

Pity Vermeulen is out injured. WRT CJ van der Linde, he has not been in any sort of form this season or the last 3 years for the Boks TBH and its the right call to include Werner Kruger who has been more than solid in his stead. I just wish we could have seen more 'form' players in there ahead of the 'entitled' ones.

On a unrelated note, consider a team with 1) Coenie Oosthuizen, 4) Bakkies Botha, 6) Deon Stegmann and 10) Butch James... would we see 28 penalties conceded in 80 minutes LOL!?

As a Saracens man I am amazed there is no schalk Brits. That man is phenomenal. But as it means we can unleash him from the start of the season- im not too bothered ;)

Brits:
Schalk Brits is a hooker, playing in England. We have Bismarck du Plessis, Adriaan Strauss (both better) and John Smit (the captain). No reason to call up a hooker playing overseas. Overseas players are only called up if they are irreplaceable
Oosthuizen:
Coenie's penalty count has been enormous. His selection might not be the best in the squad, but he does have certain qualities despite his young age. Dean Greyling (who really had a massive season) and Tendai Mtawarira are better options though

Brits is not a hooker. He's a centre wearing the wrong number.

Dunno, Brits lineout throwing is not bad either.

Oosthuizen is good around the field, but terrible when it comes to scrummaging.
Usually penalised evey scrum, or so it seems.

du Plessis, Strauss, Botha, Liebenberg are all better hookers than Brits.

Well, Gary Botha and Tiaan Liebenberg are both better hookers. They might be worse centers than Schalk Brits, but we need people who can scrum, throw good line-outs (not decent) and have the strength to actually force a line break. Brits is just not with the best 5 hookers of the country. Easy as that

Well, Gary Botha and Tiaan Liebenberg are both better hookers. They might be worse centers than Schalk Brits, but we need people who can scrum, throw good line-outs (not decent) and have the strength to actually force a line break. Brits is just not with the best 5 hookers of the country. Easy as that

Alright chill Winston.

But lot of people make the common misconception that Brits cannot scrummage, throw in or actually break the line. Last time I checked, he was all of those and played in a good Saracens pack.

Latest posts