• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

PICK YOUR LIONS 23 MAN SQUAD BASED ON WC Performance

On 1. I am not alone with completely disagreeing with you I think the way forward is to play 2 opensides, win the breakdown and your halfway to winning the match, I don't dislike Lydiate but prefer Warbs at 6 and Tips at 7.
On 3 I also disagree Charteris is unsung, has good stats lineout wise and is excellent in a defensive maul.
On 2 and 4 I will concede and on reflection agree with you.
On 5,6 and 7 it's a bit swings and roundabouts, certainly Baldwin, Lee and Davies are on an upward curve, whilst surely Best and possibly Connor have reached their respective peaks.

Lets be honest mate, we won about twice as many turnovers with Lydiate and Warburton vs South Africa as we did with Tipuric and Warburton vs Australia. Tipuric doesn't steal ball when he plays bigger Southern teams. Henderson gets in over Charteris on physicality as AWJ and him are similar players whereas Henderson throws a spanner into the works. And you said purely on World Cup form. Best had an outstanding world cup so how in god's name can you say he's getting worse. Murray is a year older than Davies and has a better all round game than him. Just because he scored 5 tries it doesn't mask over the weakness in his kicking game. Rhys Webb for me is better than both but we said World Cup form. You've completely botched you're argument that you aren't biased by saying Murray and Best have peaked even though you said world cup form. Did you even watch Ireland play or are you just blind? Same for Lee. I can illustrate why Nel was better by comparing Australia's fortune at scrum time against Wales to Scotland. Lee was shoved around by Sio whereas Nel gave him a torrid time. I think that says it all. Even Andy Howell from the Western Mail isn't this biased. Try watching the other teams cause clearly you just watched Wales this tournament. I mean you've picked 12 Welshies in your team haha. You haven't even made an effort to be impartial.

1.Healey 2.Best 3.Nel 4.Wyn-Jones (c)5.Henderson 6.O'Brian 7.Warburton 8.Faletau.

9.Murray 10.Sexton 11.North 12.Henshaw 13.Bennett 14.May 15.R Kearney.

T Youngs,Ross,Charteris,Laidlaw,Biggar,Brown,Seymour,Watson.

Head coach. ????????

1. Jack McGrath
2. Rory Bes
3. Lee
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5.Iain Henderson
6. O'Brien
7. Sam Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Connor Murray
10. Biggar
11. Tommy Bowe
12.Robbie Henshaw
13. Manu Tuilagi
14.Anthony Watson
15. Rob Kearney

Slim Pickings in the back line unless Scott Williams, Halfpenny and Tuilgai come back to previous form. 3-0 incoming probably. Depends how th ABs cope with loosing so many awesome experienced players. What will a NZ side to face them look like?

Last edited:
Disregarding world cup form, and doing a pick-your-23-if-the-lions-were-playing-now-and-everyone-was-fit thread thing (cuz I'm a maverick and I don't play by the rules), I'd go for:

1) Healy
2) Best
3) Cole
4) AWJ
5) Launchbury
6) Sean O'Brien
7) Warburton
8) Vunipola/Morgan/Faletau
9) Murray
10) Sexton
11) North
12) Roberts
13) Joseph
14) Watson
15) Hogg

16) Youngs
17) Vunipola
18) Nel
19) Henderson
20) Vunipola/Morgan/Faletau
21) Webb
22) Biggar
23) Henshaw

Hello me old mate PacDuran.I've got a horrible feeling you're in for some stick with the Tuilgai selection.Ooooh dear!

PS.Think I might as well with Sexton on previous post.

Disregarding world cup form, and doing a pick-your-23-if-the-lions-were-playing-now-and-everyone-was-fit thread thing (cuz I'm a maverick and I don't play by the rules), I'd go for:

1) Healy
2) Best
3) Cole
4) AWJ
5) Launchbury
6) Sean O'Brien
7) Warburton
8) Vunipola/Morgan/Faletau
9) Murray
10) Sexton
11) North
12) Roberts
13) Joseph
14) Watson
15) Hogg

16) Youngs
17) Vunipola
18) Nel
19) Henderson
20) Vunipola/Morgan/Faletau
21) Webb
22) Biggar
23) Henshaw

Faletau is one of the form 8s in the world. Who is better than him at 8 but Pocock? Only Vermeulen of true number 8s is better than Faletau at the moment. It's no contest between him and Morgan or Vunipola.
@Wimero Why what's the problem with Tuilagi?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd certainly have Parisse and Read, as well as Vermuelen and probably Picamoles over Faletau. Personally I don't rate him as much as some others, not sure he's quite as strong a ball carrier as other top 8s, although I really don't think there's much between the 3 I've chosen. Depends what you want from your 8.

1. Vunipola
2. Best
3. Lee
4. AWJ
5. O'Connell
6. Henderson
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Laidlaw
10. Biggar
11. North
12. Roberts
13. Bennett
14. Watson
15. Kearney

16. Ford
17. McGrath
18. Nel
19. J Gray
20. Morgan
21. Davies
22. Sexton
23. Joseph

Oh my, there are some great teams (barring the first) on here. The lions is actually an exciting prospect with the current crop of players. With the right coaches... we might even win a test!

Does it have to be one of the 4 coaches of the national teams, or can it be someone a bit left field?

1. Jack McGrath
2. Rory Bes
3. Lee
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5.Iain Henderson
6. O'Brien
7. Sam Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Connor Murray
10. Biggar
11. Tommy Bowe
12.Robbie Henshaw
13. Manu Tuilagi
14.Anthony Watson
15. Rob Kearney

Slim Pickings in the back line unless Scott Williams, Halfpenny and Tuilgai come back to previous form. 3-0 incoming probably. Depends how th ABs cope with loosing so many awesome experienced players. What will a NZ side to face them look like?

Yeah I came on here to see what you guys thought the Lions chances were? I think it will be tough for them in NZ. It must be hard getting all those guys to gel.

As for the NZ team, I'd say you'd be looking at:

New Zealand: 15 Ben Smith, 14 Nehe Milner-Skudder, 13 Malakai Fekitoa, 12 Ryan Crotty, 11 Julian Savea, 10 Aaron Cruden, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Kieran Read (c), 7 Sam Cane, 6 Jerome Kaino, 5 Samuel Whitelock, 4 Brodie Retallick, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Dane Coles, 1 Wyatt Crockett.
Replacements: 16 Cody Taylor, 17 Joe Moody, 18 Charlie Faumuina, 19 Victor Vito, 20 Matt Todd, 21 Tawera Kerr-Barlow, 22 Beauden Barrett, 23 George Moala.

The obvious weakness in that NZ team (if anything) will be the brand new midfield combo. I'd be attacking that all day if I were caoching the Lions. It will take the ABs a while to form anywhere near the defensive combo that they had with Nonu and Smith. I'd also be rushing up on them in attack too, pressure those two and not only might you force errors, but you may be able to negate the AB back 3 to some extent.

Other than that losing McCaw (and about 800+ games of test experience in Woodcock, Mealamu, DC, Nonu & Smith) will take the ABs some time to deal with week in week out, and not having SBW off the bench will be a loss, but man for man the replacements one might argue are actually a step up in many aspects.

This will still be a very good AB team!!

What about Sopoaga? I thought he was unlucky to not make the WC team. Surely he will be in the mix behind Cruden?

What about Sopoaga? I thought he was unlucky to not make the WC team. Surely he will be in the mix behind Cruden?

Yeah, well there is only so much room in a match day 23. For me its a straight swap of DC for Cruden, so no room for Sopoaga in the first pick squad. If he keeps his form up through Super Rugby he will be given more chances though.

But, I think most agree that when Cruden comes back from injury he will be considered the incumbent 10 and if Cruden starts there is no room for Sopoaga on the bench and visa versa. Every now and then Barrett will get a start too, but he is just too bloody useful and effective off the bench for his own good - hence I think he remains there for the big games!

TBH I would be looking at trying to develop George Moala as a centre and moving Fekitoa into 2nd five.

I would like to see Sopoaga get more game time and see how he goes, I was impressed with his debut against SA and looks more of the Carter mold than Cruden does.

@Wimero Why what's the problem with Tuilagi?[/QUOTE]

Hi PacDuran
Absolutely no problem at all.Great player,nailed on for the Lions in my opinion.But the thread is based on RWC performance.Otherwise he'd have been first on my list.

@Wimero Why what's the problem with Tuilagi?

Hi PacDuran
Absolutely no problem at all.Great player,nailed on for the Lions in my opinion.But the thread is based on RWC performance.Otherwise he'd have been first on my list.[/QUOTE]

JJ is a much better player than tuilagi. Better vision, passing, kicking, step, defence and pace.

Many will struggle as we need more from our centres than a 1 track bosh player.

Hi PacDuran
Absolutely no problem at all.Great player,nailed on for the Lions in my opinion.But the thread is based on RWC performance.Otherwise he'd have been first on my list.

JJ is a much better player than tuilagi. Better vision, passing, kicking, step, defence and pace.

Many will struggle as we need more from our centres than a 1 track bosh player.[/QUOTE]

I suppose yeah. Not a vintage RWC for NH centres.

@Everyone about Sopoaga. I would have him 2nd behind Beauden Barret. The defensively frail and made of paper Cruden in 3rd place.

I'm not getting involved in this because I truly believe it will descend into a load of nationalistic dick swinging and that's pretty much why I'd rather the lions was finished but hey ho ^^

1. Mcgrath
2. T. Youngs
3. Lee
4. Henderson
5. AW Jones
6. O Brien
7. Hardie
8. Faletau
9. Davies
10. Biggar
11. May
12. Henshaw
13. Bennett
14. Watson
15. Hogg

16. Baldwin
17. Vunipola
18. Nel
19. J Gray
20. Warburton
21. Laidlaw
22. Roberts
23. Earl

Bit hard to pick one to be honest. Fact is given how one dimensional and pre ordained all 4.nations games plans are it's hard to identify any creativity or different styles in any 23.players you pick. I'm guessing the coach will be Gatland so you just take 23 random international's over the 4 nations and program the system into them.

Last edited:

Latest posts