• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales Squad

Screenshot_20210327-112202.png

The front 5 really does look quite weak, but overall the team just strikes me as really old. That's not necessarily a bad thing, older players can still play well, but pretty much all those Welsh veterans look well past their prime. And god knows what this means for Wales at the 2023 world cup. I think Pivac made a big mistake by not moving on wholesale from the older players when he first arrived and drafting in younger guys that could play the way he wanted to play. It would have brought him some time and good will around results. Instead he's now scrambling around trying to find a way to save his job with a few wins, and as a result there's no real sense of where Wales are going long-term. They look pretty rudderless.
Do you still think wales look rudderless less m8 ? We scored more tries in the championship than we ever have our defence was pretty dam good the line out an scrum issues gone if you want to look for a rudderless team look no further than England

I agree with Bushy, I have been too many Rugby Forums and the mods here seem level headed, all olly did was transfer your post to the relivant thread. should be no problem mate try not to make it one.
Don't get me wrong Dai, things can get a bit extra here too as I'm sure you know... but as you implied in your post, when it ain't kicking off, why kick it off ain't it?

Last edited:
I see someone talk about the tight 5. While I don't think it's a weakness, it's certainly not at the level of some of the other home nations. Francis did a job a job at 3 but looking at other teams, their props are a lot more dynamic around the park. Leon Brown could be this player but their is still some doubts around his scrummaging although it has seemed fine when I see him play. Probably still missing that bill ball carrying 2nd row as well, Ball has probably come the closet to this but never really set the world alight, despite his size Beard it's the best carrier. Two guys who have impressed me in the Pro 14 are Morgan Jones at Scarlets and Ben Carter at Dragons, hopefully both or at least one get's a chance in the summer.

I see someone talk about the tight 5. While I don't think it's a weakness, it's certainly not at the level of some of the other home nations. Francis did a job a job at 3 but looking at other teams, their props are a lot more dynamic around the park. Leon Brown could be this player but their is still some doubts around his scrummaging although it has seemed fine when I see him play. Probably still missing that bill ball carrying 2nd row as well, Ball has probably come the closet to this but never really set the world alight, despite his size Beard it's the best carrier. Two guys who have impressed me in the Pro 14 are Morgan Jones at Scarlets and Ben Carter at Dragons, hopefully both or at least one get's a chance in the summer.
Agree with most of this. 1 stat I saw re Francis was that he's hit more rucks than any other player in the tournament so it's clear what his remit he's been given by Pivac. Leon Brown will be asked to do a different role I'd imagine. Wyn Jones is being tipped for a starting spot in the lions so he's doing very well. Ken is a beast, obviously, but we do have problems at Hooker moving forward.

Yeah would love to see Carter and Jones go on tour too

Wyn Jones was good. Carried a lot, made turnovers and tackles, I'm fine with him. Owens is also great but he's 34. None of the other hookers have really taken their chance and there doesn't seem to be many coming through either. Dewi Lake is mentioned a lot but he's still well done the pecking order at the Ospreys when everyone is fit. Elias, Dee and Parry are the other options but none really stand out.

Wyn Jones was good. Carried a lot, made turnovers and tackles, I'm fine with him. Owens is also great but he's 34. None of the other hookers have really taken their chance and there doesn't seem to be many coming through either. Dewi Lake is mentioned a lot but he's still well done the pecking order at the Ospreys when everyone is fit. Elias, Dee and Parry are the other options but none really stand out.
I'd really like to see all the Ospreys Hookers go on tour. Parry, Ifan Phillips and Dewi Lake. Ifan Phillips was looking very good earlier in the season.

I'd really like to see all the Ospreys Hookers go on tour. Parry, Ifan Phillips and Dewi Lake. Ifan Phillips was looking very good earlier in the season.
Yeah, I was impressed by Phillips as well. Always seemed to play well when given time. Choices do really look spartan at 2 though. No one else really of note at the Dragons, don't think we should bring Hibbard back lol, Dacey is decent enough at the blues but not the right choice, Belcher has been ok. Don't think there's any new stand outs at Scarlets either.

Thinking about the props I'd like to see Corey Domachowski, Rhys Carre and Nicky Smith at loose head with Leon Brown, Dillon Lewis and WillGriff John at tight head.

2nd row definitely Carter and Morgan Jones but would love to see that lad at Exeter called Christ Tshiunza. He's obviously only a baby at 18/19 years old or something like that but we don't want England sniffing around in a couple of years so get him capped now I say. Lol.

Back row, Jac Morgan is a definite. Would love to see Harrison Keddie go. Really hope Basham recovers in time as well but not sure he will. Other than that Ellis Jenkins is a must and even though optimistic, I know I wouldn't be alone in being pleased if Carwyn Tuipulotu went as well. I doubt he will though as he's not really featuring for the Scarlets yet. Take Moriarty as well to get him back up to speed. A decent development pack there in my opinion though I would say that as I picked it. It's easy this selector business.

Still a bid sad that Will Griff didn't at least get some game time off the bench, I agree about Domachowski, has played well and often kept Carre out the blues team.

Still a bid sad that Will Griff didn't at least get some game time off the bench, I agree about Domachowski, has played well and often kept Carre out the blues team.

Yeah but he'll get his chance in the summer and much like I was a bit sad that Jarrod Evans didn't get any minutes against Italy Pivac has done a pretty good job with selection on the whole so I'll let him off.

But kicking it off can be so fun to watch... Just lower the bait
Yeah I do appreciate it myself tbh, my 'Not Cool' gif was more to do with @ThebigARena suggesting that I was English in disguise etc. than anything else. Didn't even @ me, so I missed it all for over a day too!

Yeah but he'll get his chance in the summer and much like I was a bit sad that Jarrod Evans didn't get any minutes against Italy Pivac has done a pretty good job with selection on the whole so I'll let him off.
Well hes selected the same players time and again which saw the Welsh team against France completely spent in the last 20.

Latest posts