TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Okay so we have less than a month's time before we start our EOYT against England, France, Scotland and Wales.

The big question will be, are we going to see the same faces we had in the RC, and who will be additions to the squad?

The other question will be, how many NH-based players will be in the squad?

We already know that Duane Vermeulen will be available for the boks, as part of the agreement he signed with SARU is that he'll be available for the EOYT. And if he stays injury free the next 2 weeks in Japan, he'll certainly be in the squad, especially with Whiteley injured.

First off, I think Faf De Klerk and Francois Louw, and perhaps even Willie Le Roux will be unavailable due to their clubs and the agreements made with SARU.

And looking at their positions, will we see replacements who were in the RC squad, or will we see some new faces?

Scrumhalf: Embrose Papier, Ross Cronje and Ivan van Zyl has been with the squad. I think other contenders are Cameron Wright, Cobus Reinach and Shaun Venter.

Flanker/No. 8: Duane Vermeulen, Marco van Staden & Sikhumbuzo Notshe has been used already, we don't know when Whiteley will be fit again, and I think we shouldn't be surprized if Marcell Coetzee, Arno Botha, Jean Deysel, Uzair Cassiem or even Chris Cloete makes the cut.

Fullback: If Willie is not available, then surely Cheslin Kolbe or Damian Willemse will be used in his place, as both of them are part of the squad already. Gelant is out for the whole year, so that leaves us with Andries Coetzee, Pat Lambie & Curwin Bosch. I hear Sbu Nkosi is fit again, so that will also aid our current problem with wingers and all of them being out injured.

Other than that, I can't see a lot of changes, unless Rassie wants to give some guys a rest or there are other issues propping up.

I doubt we'll see a lot of debutants this time around, as Rassie did a lot of that already throughout the year.

I'd like to see Coenie Oosthuizen, Thomas Du Toit, Akker van der Merwe, RG Snyman and Marco van Staden get more game time though.

from my perspective as a fan of England I would be extremely disappointed if we didn't see the best Springbok team on the park on November 3rd. it wouldn't do the credibility of the international game any good if SA were missing their best players. also fans at Twickenham are paying good money to see this match and it would be scandalous if needless politics didn't allow SA to pick their best team. of course I want England to win in Nov but I want them to have beaten the best Springbok side and not a shadow XV.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45797482

I think it's been confirmed those SA players will not be released by the Premiership clubs including Faf, Louw, Mostert, Koch and Le Roux. Massive shame.

Interesting, especially since the only report we've had was about Faf not being available. But I guess that's fair enough, as their clubs were very generous during the RC.

But I don't think we will be under strengthed due to these guys not playing. I mean Koch only featured for 20 mins all year. Flouw has been in and out of the team, and in the AB's game played no. 8, where we will have Duane Vermeulen back for the EOYT.

Mostert IMHO isn't our first choice lock, and I wish RG Snyman will get more chances, hopefully this is now an opportunity for him.

I agree though on Willie Le Roux, especially since Warrick Gelant is out injured. But Damian Willemse showed just a glimpse of what he can do in the AB's game, and we will also be able to call on the services of guys like Cheslin Kolbe and Pat Lambie, both of whom are playing in France.

The fact that the England game is outside the international window probably rules out the Montpellier guys such as Steyn and even Lambie from Racing.

The fact that the England game is outside the international window probably rules out the Montpellier guys such as Steyn and even Lambie from Racing.

Unless Rassie can sweettalk them like he did with the English Clubs?

but yeah, that might be a bit of an issue. Ideal time for Damian Willemse to get a start.

Faf not being available is probably a good thing,
Played a **** ton of rugby the last 12 month's, spending a couple of weeks on a beach during the premiership cup rounds will stand him in better stead with a world cup on the horizon, rather than more test rugby

Faf not being available is probably a good thing,
Played a **** ton of rugby the last 12 month's, spending a couple of weeks on a beach during the premiership cup rounds will stand him in better stead with a world cup on the horizon, rather than more test rugby

Yeah I agree. I think PSDT also deserves a rest, he's one of the few guys who played in every test as well as that match against Wales in the USA.

My personal opinion is that Faf being unavailable, basically forces Rassie to widen the net in the Scrumhalf position. especially with Ross Cronje also being out for the next 2 months. I hope that Cobus Reinach gets the call up.

i'm a bit worried about the Boks game!. I do think the BBC headline is a bit sensationalist really. I think the only player the Boks will really miss is Faf de Klerk. I say that because the do appear to have some decent cover for WLR. thought Kolbe acquitted himself well whenever he played in the RC. thought papier struggled a bit v NZ if i'm honest. scrum-half is a problem area for SA but apart from that it will still be a very strong side so i'm still not confident.. i'm almost more worried about this game than the one v the AB's which sounds a strange comment. Just think SA will dominate the breakdown again against us and our discipline could lapse as a result. plus the fact we can't seem to play well for a whole game, only parts of it. playing well even for 50-60 minutes doesn't get you anywhere in International rugby.

Yeah I agree. I think PSDT also deserves a rest, he's one of the few guys who played in every test as well as that match against Wales in the USA.

My personal opinion is that Faf being unavailable, basically forces Rassie to widen the net in the Scrumhalf position. especially with Ross Cronje also being out for the next 2 months. I hope that Cobus Reinach gets the call up.
If Rassie doesn't pick Reinach I think will be missing a big opportunity to get him into systems before the world cup. I'm not sure of his current form though? I don't think either Papier, Cronje or van Zyl are Bok quality at the moment.

This Springbok team's strength lies up front and there are many players to call on. F Louw's experience is invaluable, but in a way cancelled out by the return of Duane. It's the backline that will need some more work.

The absence of Faf & Willie definitely takes the potency out of the attack admittedly. Ross Cronje will probably now be a shoe in to wear 9, at least for the 1st test, but in addition to him, I would only take 1 of Van Zyl & Papier on tour and instead add Reinach as a definite to the squad.

In Willie's place - Andries Coetzee definitely allows for the continuity of a lefty at the back. Would even prefer this ahead of the exciting prospect of playing Willemse there as the conditions may require. Also - a player like Lleyds should perhaps be rewarded with a call-up on the merits of his performances in the Currie Cup this year. Can cover wing/fullback.

Feeling quite vindicated to mention that it would seem by default DdA & Kriel are the front-running midfield combo. Yet Serf should easily be in place of either if he is available. Not sure if Lukhano Am will be - kind of leaves a debate on who to choose for the other center spot(s) up for grabs. As much as Esterhuizen didn't impress, I do feel it's important that he does get game time on this tour., but Mapoe should as well and as much as I hate to mention it: in a toss-up I would choose the latter, who can cover wing and a certain transfomation target at the very least (meh). Lastly, would be great if Ruhan Nel got a call-up.

Or it could be a scenario of the former 3 being the only ones in contention/rotation and Pollard covering that axis as he did. It seems rather poetic that the guy coming back into form has coincided with the team's overall progress. In the same essence its almost unbelievable to mention that it feels a blessing in disguise to have a Jantjies as back-up for pivot. And at the moment for every other position in the backline, Willemse will back-up to the back-up (10,12,15).

I don't know where I read it, but for Rassie the build-up to next year's World Cup starts with this EOYT. And while many aspects in the build-up to this tour may indicate otherwise, we can be assured that for every test the Boks will be putting out their best available team with the main aim of kicking away losing streak of away games. The jury is still out on this team of whether they can show consistency and raise their away game against every other team and not just the ABs.

This Springbok team's strength lies up front and there are many players to call on. F Louw's experience is invaluable, but in a way cancelled out by the return of Duane. It's the backline that will need some more work.

The absence of Faf & Willie definitely takes the potency out of the attack admittedly. Ross Cronje will probably now be a shoe in to wear 9, at least for the 1st test, but in addition to him, I would only take 1 of Van Zyl & Papier on tour and instead add Reinach as a definite to the squad.

In Willie's place - Andries Coetzee definitely allows for the continuity of a lefty at the back. Would even prefer this ahead of the exciting prospect of playing Willemse there as the conditions may require. Also - a player like Lleyds should perhaps be rewarded with a call-up on the merits of his performances in the Currie Cup this year. Can cover wing/fullback.

Feeling quite vindicated to mention that it would seem by default DdA & Kriel are the front-running midfield combo. Yet Serf should easily be in place of either if he is available. Not sure if Lukhano Am will be - kind of leaves a debate on who to choose for the other center spot(s) up for grabs. As much as Esterhuizen didn't impress, I do feel it's important that he does get game time on this tour., but Mapoe should as well and as much as I hate to mention it: in a toss-up I would choose the latter, who can cover wing and a certain transfomation target at the very least (meh). Lastly, would be great if Ruhan Nel got a call-up.

Or it could be a scenario of the former 3 being the only ones in contention/rotation and Pollard covering that axis as he did. It seems rather poetic that the guy coming back into form has coincided with the team's overall progress. In the same essence its almost unbelievable to mention that it feels a blessing in disguise to have a Jantjies as back-up for pivot. And at the moment for every other position in the backline, Willemse will back-up to the back-up (10,12,15).

I don't know where I read it, but for Rassie the build-up to next year's World Cup starts with this EOYT. And while many aspects in the build-up to this tour may indicate otherwise, we can be assured that for every test the Boks will be putting out their best available team with the main aim of kicking away losing streak of away games. The jury is still out on this team of whether they can show consistency and raise their away game against every other team and not just the ABs.

Ross Cronje is injured and unavailable for the tour. So I think that Papier and Van Zyl will definitely be in the squad. The question will be however that who will be our 3rd pick in that position? The candidates are:

• Louis Schreuder
  • Cameron Wright
  • Shaun Venter
  • Cobus Reinach
  • Francois Hougaard (if Rassie can maybe persuade him to detract his retirement from international rugby)
As for the backline, yes I agree that it's the areas we will need more strength. I think Jan Serfontein will get a call, especially since returning from injury and showing great form. Maybe Pat Lambie will also join the squad?

But my concern is our right wing. If Serfontein returns, will they move Kriel back to wing, or keep him at 13 (where he has been great all season)? Or are we going to get someone else in as my suspicion is that Kolbe and Willemse will be used at Fullback with Willie gone.

I think Leyds is the front runner now for that spot, he's been part of the group during the June tour, and he's been fantastic for WP during the Currie Cup

Ross Cronje is injured and unavailable for the tour. So I think that Papier and Van Zyl will definitely be in the squad. The question will be however that who will be our 3rd pick in that position? The candidates are:

• Louis Schreuder
  • Cameron Wright
  • Shaun Venter
  • Cobus Reinach
  • Francois Hougaard (if Rassie can maybe persuade him to detract his retirement from international rugby)
As for the backline, yes I agree that it's the areas we will need more strength. I think Jan Serfontein will get a call, especially since returning from injury and showing great form. Maybe Pat Lambie will also join the squad?

But my concern is our right wing. If Serfontein returns, will they move Kriel back to wing, or keep him at 13 (where he has been great all season)? Or are we going to get someone else in as my suspicion is that Kolbe and Willemse will be used at Fullback with Willie gone.

I think Leyds is the front runner now for that spot, he's been part of the group during the June tour, and he's been fantastic for WP during the Currie Cup

With Willie's experience & creativity gone - the situation is seemingly fitting for guys like Pat Lambie, Frans Steyn & Johan Goosen to come into the fray - Steyn preferable for me. Lambie not so much - his skillset can be found in the other players in the squad and it could make him a redundant inclusion, even more so than Goosen.

I would actually opt for Kriel to move to right-wing and Serf at 13, if the idea is for one of Kolbe & Willemse to start at the back. Kriel isn't that bad at all defensively, just feel Serf would be more imposing in that outside channel. Either way, Jesse has been one of the consistent performers this year and must therefore start. Lleyds can cover the outside backs role from the bench.

The question of who wear's 9 is for me the real concern. Faf has just totally made that position his own in that it appeared a lot of the Boks play (if not most) comes off him. He takes on a lot of responsibilities in pressure situations and I don't think it's just a case of the tactic/system being to play off 9.

With Cronje out, indications are that Rassie is now most likely to start one of Papier & Van Zyl for the 1st test. Reinach (if included in squad) will most likely make the 2nd test (bench) - depending on how good/bad the Bulls scrummies fare.

Fortunately Duane will be there to steady the ship. I like the idea of bringing back Hougaard. His best performances for the Boks was when he was paired with Pollard. The management team rather seems set for a player to first get used to squad dynamics before being drafted into the matchday squad. Of course there are exceptions for the experienced/senior players when it comes to this (Duane, Flouw, Whiteley, etc.)

It's all about the 9's, our squad is more or less in decent shape otherwise.
Willie is a loss but I believe we do have a few like-for-like replacement in terms of creative 15s that double as another playmaker (Damian Willemse/Goosen/Leyds/Gelant (if ever fit again)).

We could also use a little more depth in the loose forward department, so I'd like to see guys like Marco van Staaden get more time, possibly Jean luc du Preez if he's back.

Otherwise more hooker depth.

What's your guys opinion on the Boks having Currie Cup duties this weekend?
I've never been a fan. Seems to undermine the players who have put in the hard yards during the season and puts them in unnecessary risk of injury.

What's your guys opinion on the Boks having Currie Cup duties this weekend?
I've never been a fan. Seems to undermine the players who have put in the hard yards during the season and puts them in unnecessary risk of injury.

It's a double edged sword. On one side there is the fear that they might get injured. But on the other side if they aren't staying match fit, they might not perform well when we play the EOYT.

The issue this time around is that there is so much time left until the Boks play England. So I think it's maybe a good idea this time to let them play.

Some should play others shouldnt.
PSDT needs a break, and a guy like Etzebeth needs to play.

Polalrd needs to be cotton wraped, but Jantjies needs to play, id say all the subs and reserves needs to play along with all the first teamers who hasnt played much this year as a result of injuries.

Ou Boks needs to give back to the unions which made them stars. But common sense needs to be used about who to play and who not to.

Some should play others shouldnt.
PSDT needs a break, and a guy like Etzebeth needs to play.

Polalrd needs to be cotton wraped, but Jantjies needs to play, id say all the subs and reserves needs to play along with all the first teamers who hasnt played much this year as a result of injuries.

Ou Boks needs to give back to the unions which made them stars. But common sense needs to be used about who to play and who not to.

AFAIK some guys haven't been released back to their unions. And there are reports that some could return. so we're at the coulda/woulda/shoulda issue.

I agree that PSDT needs to rest, and Pollard needs to be cotton wrapped. And others need to play.

I noticed Dyantyi has been released back to the Lions. He is somebody I would prefer not to be playing CC with an important EOYT coming up.

Latest posts