• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springboks rwc 2011

Nae extra wings stormer2010?

How depressing is it that James is looking more and more likely to be first choice 10?
The upside I suppose is that he is not one dimensional Morne, but I fear for those on the receiving end of the Guillotine

You've pretty much nailed my Springbok 22.
I still would prefer JdV over JdJ, and in an ideal situation Lambie over James.

You can guarantee that Habana will be wearing the 11 shirt, for whatever reason PdV sees.

Great combo but Deysel is the only speciallist flanker (7) in the squad with little if any experience at 8. I would also change my substitutes, leave out Duanne (due to injury only) and bring in Butch James to cover Fly Half and centre.

Lambie in to replace Frans Steyn, could prove to be the necessary ingredient missing from the Springbok starting line-up.
Lambie de ja vu Frans Steyn 2007 RWC!

The Springboks have taken giants steps in the right direction towards defending their RWC 2007 Champions ***le. They still have a long way to go but the hopefull return of Schalk Burger (key player) along with Frans Steyn or a fit Patrick Lambie will give them even more confidence.
Heinrich Brussouw and Fourie Du Preez have also played 2 full games now since 2009 so the rustiness should be gone and the team is starting to gel together defensively. Much like 2007 where NZ were favourites to win the WC after dominating the Tri Nations and test matches in the preceding year or so, NZ are favourites again. Technical Guru, Rassie Erasmus's influence is already evident in the Springboks game plan, don't write off the Spingboks just yet!

So, our games before the start of the RWC and our 1st game against Wales are done.. what have we learned and who will do duty in the SA 30 man RWC squad?

IMO;

+ Brussow doesn't look like he missed any rugby at all
- the 1st half against Aus was better (more consistent) than the game against NZ IMO even though we won; at least we created scoring opportunities even if we couldn't finish them off whereas we looked less likely to score (a try) against NZ and there were too many line-breaks/missed tackles even if we managed to scamper bakc and kill of tries with a Godly effort; we won't always get back there and need to make those 1st time tackles. IE; we havn't improved IMO
- our scrambling defense is great (unfortunately not so for our 1st time tackling) but Habana, Pietersen, Hougaard and Fourie scrambling shouldn't have to constitute our entire defensive structure
+ some of the guys off form have looked markedly better after the conditioning; Habana and Spies the two who I had called for (heads to roll) having made massive improvements
- not so much so for Steyn, Smit and Matfield. I'd call them solid enough but lacking in certain (quite a few) departments still; as i we could expect them to change
- some guys who I've called for to be considered to start have not lived up to expectations; Danie Rossouw had a terrible 3N and should only be considered as back-up to locks
+ Bakkies Botha had 2 industrious games without going off the boil. So too Jannie du Plessis who shares some of Bakkies' failings although less 'high profile'
+ discipline overall has been very good
- Smit still ahead of Bissie if you listen to what PdV has to say
+ FdP is fit
- but hasn't shown his old form
- 10/12 axis very uncreative even if solid; we need FdP to create play as Butch James (although adding much ITO defensive presence) doesn'y really add much ITO creativity/penetration and we lose some kicking ability. JdJ ahead of JdV should give us a little more unpredictability and penetration. Don't hink we'll be going that route though, sadly.
- Lambie is injured
- still no 15
- Juan Smith (1 of the 4 guys I felt make this team if playing to his best) isn't going to be touring.
+ A combo of 6Brussow, 7Burger, 8Spies with Alberts on the bench is still golden
- 6Brussow, 7Alberts, 8Spies with Johnson not so; a tad unbalanced, inexperienced and not apt to our gameplan
- depth at lock (with experience) is thin with Bekker injured and Rossouw seeming off of the pace

My expected squad (not even worth thinking about the inclusion of guys like Brits, Strauss, Daniel or Viljoen)

Props
Steenkamp
Du Plessis
Mtawarira
Van der Linde

Hookers
Smit
Du Plessis
Ralepelle

Locks
Matfield
Botha
Rossouw
? Muller probably if he can recover in time. Van der Merwe seems to have fallen out of favor..
? we'll probably send another lock (or prop) as Rossouw can (but shouldn't) cover the backrow and
we have our backs options covered with a number of versatile players

Backrow
Burger
Brussow
Spies
Alberts
*gulp* Johnson

Halves
Du Preez
Hougaard
Steyn
James
Pienaar

Centers
Fourie
De Villiers
De Jongh

Outbacks
Habana
Petersen
Steyn
Lambie
Aplon

Apparently there has been dialogue between Bok management and Francios Louw

Apparently there has been dialogue between Bok management and Francios Louw

That sounds promising. Back-up to Brussow might be needed and he along with Keegan Daniel are probably the form loosies IMO tahth haven't had the look-in they deserved. Louw is helped by the fact that at the Stormers, the attacking team get driven back as much as not but one can't argue against his stats. Come to think of it.. I wonder how good Brussow would fair at the Stormers wher the team is actually comitted on defense as ooposed to the Cheetahs...

Do you guys think the coach is stupid enough to do something like this? Taking 3 locks and 6 loose forwards?

Surely not

Locks
Matfield
Botha
Rossouw

Backrow
Burger
Brussow
Spies
Alberts
Johnson
Louw

Do you guys think the coach is stupid enough to do something like this? Taking 3 locks and 6 loose forwards?

Surely not

Locks
Matfield
Botha
Rossouw

Backrow
Burger
Brussow
Spies
Alberts
Johnson
Louw

He can leave Johnson and take another lock.

Danie can then be utility forward with Alberts back-up no.8

Surely not

Locks
Matfield
Botha
Rossouw

Backrow
Burger
Brussow
Spies
Alberts
Johnson
Louw

I do think he is stupid enough but I doubt that'd be the case because thankfully there are others around with input. I was thinking along the lines of the inclusion of Louw at the expense of either Johnson or Alberts (Johnson'd be my choice because you can't afford a loosie to drop off tackles in a RWC).

Anyway, I highly doubt it's more than rumors anyway.

That sounds promising. Back-up to Brussow might be needed and he along with Keegan Daniel are probably the form loosies IMO tahth haven't had the look-in they deserved...

No, I am sorry but Keegan Daniel is lucky to be in the Sharks team because of the way he has played the last few weeks, been a bit of a dick in general, giving incredibly stupid penalties away, and commiting all too frequent dangerous tackles and then ******* off as though he has been hard done by.

Needs a real big kick up the arse by the coaches, not the kind of stuff you want of a player, especially your captain

No, I am sorry but Keegan Daniel is lucky to be in the Sharks team because of the way he has played the last few weeks, been a bit of a dick in general, giving incredibly stupid penalties away, and commiting all too frequent dangerous tackles and then ******* off as though he has been hard done by.

Needs a real big kick up the arse by the coaches, not the kind of stuff you want of a player, especially your captain

Really.?. Well, seems like the selectors knew what they were up to then or simply dodged a bullet by taking the wrong option; you can't tell me Johnson or Alberts for that matter were better picks a month ago. Johnson can have an impact but the Bok style and test rugby doesn't suit him IMO.

Indeed, a month ago I would have said Keegan was the better option, Alberts wasn't fit at that stage so its a mute point. As for Johnson, well not my personal pick as I agree with what you've said, but I truly do believe that de Villiers isn't some havering bellend like most believe. He became a professional coach not because he is black/ has political friends, but because he is a decent enough coach to advance in such a career. I am sure they had their reasons for selecting Johnson, maybe they were hoping he could help spark some attacking play overseas, I don't know...

Well, here's hoping for the best then. Do you guys think Flo should be included in the 30man squad? and if yes, then do we al agree maybe in the place of Johnson? I can't see PDivvy leaving any of the others behind...

Backrow
Burger
Brussow
Spies
Alberts
Johnson

Well, here's hoping for the best then. Do you guys think Flo should be included in the 30man squad? and if yes, then do we al agree maybe in the place of Johnson? I can't see PDivvy leaving any of the others behind...

Backrow
Burger
Brussow
Spies
Alberts
Johnson

No Jean Deysel??

Yeah, I agree Divvy is a better coach than most give him credit for but he has had a whole number howlers though (selection/gameplan wise and not just his comments); some where most pundits had it right beforehand without the benefit of hindsight which in the most cases is the case and does make the national coaching job something of an impossible job. I think the fact that poeple get frustrated with his choices is because most feels there were more deserving coaches. But who knows, maybe someone like Heynecke Meyer would have had a worse tenure.

No Jean Deysel??

Sad but Deysel, Burger and Alberts are probably too similar and it'd be best to get someone on board who could take over Brussow's role. I'm not convinced Burger is a fit replacement for Brussow; his game has moved more and more away from the openside role.

Yeah, SA needs another fetcher to cover Brussouw not just in case of injury, but he can't play every game and of course there is only one 'easy' game in their pool, and only Steggman and Louw are 'available', in that Steggman is currently injured for the next 2-3 weeks, and Louw had that injury at the end of the Superugby season.

Squad announcement at 19:30 on Supersport 1.

Read a ghastly article just now that says PdV could look at Luke Watson... He has played well for the EP Kings, but that is in the second division of course, and there is his history to consider.

Yeah, I like Deysel...think he and Johnson will be unfortunate to miss out.

I think Rassie has got something to do with Flo being called back. He of all people knows what Burger & Flo has to offer playing in the same team (Stormers), should Brussow get injured.

Latest posts