• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Starting to play at age 20?

I'm 27 and want to start playing but I haven't got the first clue how to go about it.

I'm from Teesside (But live in Bristol now), so I haven't grown up with it the way the rest of the country seem to have. Our school didn't have a rugby team and we never played it in PE. We were always far more focussed on Football.

Any advise on how to get into it? The way I see it, I can't just turn up to a club as I have no idea. I would have no positional sense or technique at all. At our football club people without much talent can do a job in training for 5-a-side if they run around a lot, but can't really have aspirations to play properly in the 1st team. So I'm looking for some way to come in right at a beginners level.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Definately wouldn't be a waste of time. Just get out there and enjoy the social aspect of the game. I started playing rugby again at 19, after 3 years out of the game, and I love club rugby. I play scrum-half and though I've only played five games this season (due to only joining the club half-way through the season) I am getting back into the swing of things. My passing is not the best which is why I need to work on it for university next year - any advice would be greatfully accepted. The advice I give to you is the same a friend of mine gave to me - go to training with a particular club and get stuck in. Even if you get picked for the lowest team, it's a start and you can only go upwards from there.
Training wise you should try and keep up a good fitness and do some weights, but also improve your rugby skills.
Do u think that I can go pro, I haven't played Rugby since I was a little guy. I am currently 17 years old and seem to be building up some kind of passion for the sport. Everyone is telling me I can go pro, because I have a fantastic natural rugby build + My dad and uncles was really good at rugby, so I am just wondering. Is it possible?

Do u think that I can go pro, I haven't played Rugby since I was a little guy. I am currently 17 years old and seem to be building up some kind of passion for the sport. Everyone is telling me I can go pro, because I have a fantastic natural rugby build + My dad and uncles was really good at rugby, so I am just wondering. Is it possible?
yes, there are several example of even All Blacks that only picked up rugby in their late teens

Ok great! Thanks for you feedback.
i'll add its always going to be harder because you wont have the reputation or connections that others will have build coming through age grade teams

I was in school with Richie mccaw and at 13 people were talking about him being an AB, that helps

i'll add its always going to be harder because you wont have the reputation or connections that others will have build coming through age grade teams

I was in school with Richie mccaw and at 13 people were talking about him being an AB, that helps
I'll just have to start working hard and hope.

Latest posts