• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Statement on Behalf of the Four Welsh Regions from RRW

No 4th AI would undoubtedly mean less money for the Regions, which would have a far bigger negative effect than players spending an extra week in international camp.

Since nobody answered Feic's question - are people happy? It looks like a reasonable deal to me. Not amazing maybe, and it seems the WRU get the better end of it, but I don't think the Regions are losers here.

No the it would mean leas money to go towards the wru's stadium debt and luxury suites...

No the it would mean leas money to go towards the wru's stadium debt and luxury suites...

That's naive in the extreme. I'm sure servicing the debt on the Millenium stadium does require a fair bit of cash, but it's arguably the best rugby stadium in the world. Would you rather not have it? And international rugby matches bring in an insane amount of money. If the regions want the union give them greater financial backing and the WRU want to have a central contract-ish situation to keep internationals in Wales as well as supporting an A team then it's probably necessary.

Are we happy? I think the feeling is a mixture of relief and happiness with what is undoubtedly an improvement in funding for the Welsh regions. I think the WRU would have done their own numbers and are happy that they can feasibly offer this deal as it stands for the period given. Is it enough to keep big players in Wales? I certainly hope so for those who can be persuaded.

I am happy to see the A team back, I don't really care about the LV cup and see it as a training exercise for the youngsters. I can now see why the Blues have such a big squad considering the three player sevens commitment, the A team and the welsh internationals/13 day clause.

I suppose what we haven't been happy about the majority of the time is the relationship between RRW and the WRU and how that has stalled potential steps forward. Even now there are unanswered questions in terms of the details of the dual-contracts. For example (a non-exhaustive list) what happens when a dual contracted player gets a long term injury? what are the lengths of the contracts? or What happens them Gatland doesn't want them anymore?

Arguably, these issues can be solved in effective communication and consultation, but it's that horrible, ineffective relationship that is getting in the way. Even as a Welsh fan, I hear arguments that Roger Lewis is to blame, others blame RRW and claim they are making unreasonable demands. Quite frankly, not a lot of us fans in Wales really know, so its all speculation of a difficult circumstance based on what is in the press.

In short I am happy with the deal, but knowing what it took to get to this point, I am still pensive about how the future of the deal will unfold.

Wow so they've finally done it!

Here, we look at the key details...

* A six-year £60m-plus package running through until 2020.

* A core index-linked payment of £6.7m to the regions in return for the release of players for international duty and observing overseas quotas.

* An annual pot of £3.3m a year to be set aside to fund dual contracts, with the WRU contributing 60 per cent - about £2m - and the regions 40 per cent.

* Wales coach Warren Gatland to decide which players are offered dual contracts

* A one off payment of £2m to the regions, with the Scarlets, Blues, Ospreys and Dragons each receiving £500,000.

* A further £3.6m loan facility available to the regions for three years of the agreement.

* Each region limited to a maximum of six foreign players, plus two time-servers - overseas players going down the qualification route.

* Warren Gatland to have access to his home-based players for 13 days prior to the start of an international campaign.

* Regions to release players for the out-of-window fourth autumn Test.

* The Wales A team to be reintroduced, with the initial plan being to play one game a year, around Six Nations time.

* Gatland's Law to be implemented, where players who sign future deals with clubs outside of Wales will only be considered for international duty in exceptional circumstances.

* Up to three players from each region will be available for Wales 7s selection

* Regional academies to be run by the regions, with the WRU providing £600,000 of funding each year

I can't see 'Gatlands law' being implemented too strictly as theres too many players playing in France.

Wales A will at least give the Saxons some more opposition in the future, which is good for English rugby IMO.

Gatland's Law, is implemented properly, is probably the best long term move here. I guess Welsh players already in France will be able to stay there until their contracts end then either move back or stay and not be selected?

WRU have 89 new Mercedes Benz cars for staff. Not like they could have invested it into more worthwhile things, like clubs...

WRUin

Forgive me if I've missed it, but I can't see where in the article it says they are actually paying anything for this?

Forgive me if I've missed it, but I can't see where in the article it says they are actually paying anything for this?

They never said they were getting them for free. The cars will also be changed yearly, so I can't see them getting 356 cars for nothing.

They never said they were getting them for free. The cars will also be changed yearly, so I can't see them getting 356 cars for nothing.

Now that's true as well, it doesn't say they're getting them for free.

But they're not putting nothing into this. You've already sent me one piece of advertising for the company; there's going to be another 89 advertisements driving around Wales.

The piece leaves a lot of things unsaid. We don't know whether they're paying, we don't know if the agreement includes player access for commercial duties, or use of a box, or a whole bunch of other things. But you don't name someone your motor partner or whatever the hell it isn't because you're paying full whack for leasing 356 Mercs, not unless you're really useless. So the actual sum of investment is questionable; it's almost certainly less than the 170k a year my quick maths based on Google says that fleet should cost (less any bulk deal). I mean, for comparison's sake, the RFU's most recent deal with O2 is worth 25-30m a year and alright, England's a bigger market, O2 are going on the shirt, but, even radically lessening that sum to account for these things... and yeah, it seems reasonable to be suggesting that the WRU aren't paying a penny. Or at the very least super cheap.

WRU have 89 new Mercedes Benz cars for staff. Not like they could have invested it into more worthwhile things, like clubs...

WRUin

They are a joke. Massively increasing their own wages and amounts of excess during a recession and a period where they have failed on a number of fronts during a period of turmoil in Welsh rugby. There have been murmurs as well of their OAP board members taking the **** with free tickets amounts as well, with entire families and contacts getting them to the extent the cumulative cost has run up and up, whilst the average fan has been faced with yet another hike in ticket prices. Unfortunately there's too many parties involved with WRU in it simply to get all expenses paid freebies and perks or added wages, rather than look after the game.

Some of these cars have been given to development officers to help them travel round to coach in schools, clubs and age grade rugby. From what I gather there's been a sponsorship deal with the cars. If people are that vexed about what they are driving in then I do worry about them.

Some of these cars have been given to development officers to help them travel round to coach in schools, clubs and age grade rugby. From what I gather there's been a sponsorship deal with the cars. If people are that vexed about what they are driving in then I do worry about them.

This.

I just think it sets a bad image when clubs are struggling. I'd rather see any funds invested into these clubs, rather than having the WRU show up to them in a Merc.

The WRU probably got a decent deal, I know they love to show good profits, but it just wonder if 89 is too many. Let's see who gets them, and what the deal is.

I just think it sets a bad image when clubs are struggling. I'd rather see any funds invested into these clubs, rather than having the WRU show up to them in a Merc.

Disagree completely. It might in a few eyes but sorry you can't have everything. There are people within the WRU I have issues with and always will. They get paid a lot of money and do naff all. Lewis and Pickering to name a few. If that's the excuse about clubs that's being banded about then sorry for me it doesn't hold water with me to some degree. There are issues with clubs themselves and the WRU that are not linked with this deal. It's a deal that sponsors WRU with cars, of which a lot of them will benefit lots of people with their development officers. The development officer I know covers a wide range of location in Mid Wales, he's on the road daily. He coaches in schools, helps out during PE lessons, coaches regional sides, development sides etc. That is the car his employer has given him so he can travel to ensure that grassroots get the right training. They were with another company until the the deal expired, just so happens that the new contract for these new cars were signed around the same time as the regional deal.

Last edited:
That's fair, and if the right people get the cars, then it is well spent. I just don't want it to be the blazers blasting an AMG down the M4 for laughs.

That's fair, and if the right people get the cars, then it is well spent. I just don't want it to be the blazers blasting an AMG down the M4 for laughs.

I concur but sadly some of those that we do not wish to have the cars, will have them. But a large chunk will be given to those who will benefit. But as I said, there will be a proportion that will that don't need.

I feel like it's a bad image only in light of the recent travails. There's too many people who look at the WRU and jump to the conclusion they're feathering their own nests with everything. Given the need for peace, it is an issue, but at the same time, if you've got a development officer stuck in rural Wales, with a wage of 23k, providing a car is pretty sensible.

I guess they could have gone with someone more humble that Mercedes, but... slightly nit-picking by this point. I dunno.

WRUin

The WRU are getting paid to take the cars and probably getting free fuel and maintenance to go with it.

It saves the WRU having to buy cars for the development officers and may well save them having to pay mileage expenses too.

:rolleyes:

Draggs, duck welshglory and chums spotted in Pontypridd:
mob-s320x240-98571-580.jpg

Okay, there's been a complete loss of objectivity on both sides in this argument. Are the WRU paying full whack for these cars? Almost certainly not. Are the cars necessary probably. Is the timing on their part poor? Absolutely.

From my perspective it's a non-issue and absolutely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

The RFU give out Beemers to their guys, there's a couple with all the stickers etc. on knocking around my home town because of Lichfield Ladie's Rugby.

Latest posts