• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Suggestions/ideas for Rugby 2012

Bits and pieces I’d like to see included:
- Full domestic season mode - simultaneous seasons running for the Premiership, Magners League, Top 14, Super 14 In tandem with the International seasons (Tri Nations, Six Nations and Test series/World Cups/Lions tours etc). And - maybe dependant on their inclusion in the game - Currie Cup, NPC, ND1 & Pro D2 included so promotion/relegation and player draughts can occur. This could be linked to a manager mode and effectively be a “total rugby†mode.
- “Academy†players to come through the ranks over time. There could also be poaching players from “other sportsâ€, maybe such as ‘Lee Smith’ from “Yorkshireâ€, ‘Kyle Eastmond’ from “Merseyside†or ‘William Slater’ from Queensland â€" Conversely, some players may disappear away to “other sports†as the season mode goes on.
- The use of the built-up career mode teams in exhibition, tournament and online modes.
- Create a Tournament / Create a Tour
- Full draughts available for Barbarians, PIs & other select teams.
- Downloadable/uploadable updates & mods. Maybe TRF and HB could arrange something.
- More varied gameplay
- Better feeling for the difference between backs and forwards â€" I don’t want to be running with a flanker and thinking to myself “Tom Varndell is going to snap me in half in a moment before snatching the ballâ€, which does happen in the older ***les.
- Accurate stadia atmospheres â€" Songs/Drums/Bands from different sets of fans, silence for kickers at Franklins Gardens/Thomond Park/Welford Road/Kingsholm etc.
- Teams to take to the field individually in pre-match routine (a minor detail perhaps, but significant to the sport).
- Team TRF in the Bonus teams
- Players statistics can rise and fall over time, as per streaks of form etc.
But more then anything else:
- ONLINE PLAY!

apologies for those which have been said already...
- Make rucks more realistic, both in appearance and in outcome.
- Make sure all the rules are right!
- If your centre is forced onto the wing by injuries, he should at least be able to catch the ball.
- Better positioning of back three (don't mind if its automatic or controllable)
- Lets have some chip kicks! (somewhere between garry-owen and grubber), and also make grubbers better! (In rugby 08, you usually get tackled before you pull it off, and when you don't, the kick generally ends up being futile anyway)
- Set piece moves you can create yourself. (This is an ambitious one, but would add an awful lot to the game).
- More lineout options; either just a fourth option or lineouts you can 'choreograph' yourself.
- Opposition lineouts should be less easy to steal.
- More detail in the "Create a player" feature
- "Star" players, if indeed they are retained, should be less invincible. Brian O'Driscoll and Shane Williams are tackle-able in real life, contrary to what Rugby 08 would have you believe.
- Better AI. Especially would like to see teams maintain defensive structures better - not having 15 men all chasing the ball carrier.
- More Tournaments! Lions, Magners etc..... maybe even "Create your own Tournament"?
- More realistic punts.
- A referee! and a Television match official for those 'close calls'! How good would that be?!?
- Let the pack string some pick and drives together: useful on an opponent's try line. Corresponding defense to deal with this.
- More options in attack. In "Rugby 08", the set backs moves were good, the loop pass was useful and often supporting players were good at supporting you after a line-break, but it would be nice to see dummy runners, forwards cropping up around the park, the option of inside balls and so on.
- A kind of career mode. Perhaps spanning more than one season in all competitions.
- Elite mode needs to be harder.

Bits and pieces I'd like to see included:
- Full domestic season mode - simultaneous seasons running for the Premiership, Magners League, Top 14, Super 14 In tandem with the International seasons (Tri Nations, Six Nations and Test series/World Cups/Lions tours etc). And - maybe dependant on their inclusion in the game - Currie Cup, NPC, ND1 & Pro D2 included so promotion/relegation and player draughts can occur. This could be linked to a manager mode and effectively be a "total rugby" mode.
I like the idea of playing through successive seasons, but not the fiddly bits* of management games, so if there was an on/off option for things, that'd be good.

* = Form, morale, energy levels. Transfers, injuries and bans I like. And I guess with this idea, losing players to the national teams would be fun.

---

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a TMO, I was always skipping the 3rd umpire in Ashes 2009. Edit - Having said that, I can see it being weird for a cricket game to not have a 3rd ump, so I suppose there should be a TMO if people will actually watch it each time. (Just don't make it unskippable. :p)

Last edited:
Suggestion - Remove head gear from Richie McCaw. He hardly wears it... The last 2 Rugby games it's been the same McCaw model with head gear.

These are all great ideas but if they did the manager mode you would have to have such things as citings, pre/post match interviews,giving the team training routines,be able to ask for stadium expansions and relaying the pitch etc.

Become a legend! Like in Pro Evo 09. That would be sweet.

My biggest problem with the rugby games were they were too easy and the game play was at times ridiculous. Someone suggested earlier manual set piece moves. I know this would be difficult for players but all the best games are at first. The more you practice the better you'd get at pulling off cool flashy moves rather than just pressing down before u pass with the scrum half and watching the computer do the move for you

It would be good if they introduced a tackling system where:

X was dive tackle
Square was a smother tackle
Circle was dump?
Triangle was ? stop tackle- not getting them to the ground but halting their momentum.
R1 for shoulder barge (illegal) and L1 for high tackle, imagine all the different tackles that would be cool.

some more ideas:
1) Better player design and more accurate stats.
2) Better set plays...don't always want to do a preset play...would like to bust my own moves and plays.
3) Better ref, touch judge and hopefully tmo...making mistakes in decisions depending on their abbility(pro ref or amateur ref). And clearing what you did wrong when giving penalties etc.
4) Better commentary...getting a bit excited when braking the line and aming for the corner etc.
5) Better tackling form dangerous tackles(which should not always be a stiff arm) to hard hits and also crowds reaction to these tipes of tackles and also ref decision to award penalty, yellow card or even red and then a match ban considering how dangerous it was.
6) More challenging game play as even hard mode becomes piece of cake.
7) Possible for pick up and drive(dive for the line) when close enough.
No star players, just accurate stats...each player scoring a winning try, penalty, drop kick or conversion under pressure is a star player in my eyes.
9) When playing world league(which should be made manager or coach mode), more possibilities. Like when signing contract, deciding on sponsors etc. Total custome of jersey to place sponsor name, to keep up with ever changing rugby kits and players they should have a internet update etc.
10) Then maybe a bigger variety of cups...like the Heineken cup witch clashes with the european cup like it really does and also like in Fifa with the for example the premier league, champions league and FA cup. Also would like to see the currie cup and so forth...
11) install more realistic chip kicks with unpredictable bounces.
12) Rate teams according to iRB world rankings.
13) fix offside rule by the rucks. make it so players can come in from the side ect...

thats all for now

I like the Fifa system of defence.

Perhaps they should put it into this rugby game.

The reason I believe they should put the Fifa system of defence into a rugby game is because the current EA Rugby system of defence makes the game look very unrealistic.

Currently on EA Rugby you have to manually make your defender contact the ball carrier. Though this is good regarding players needing higher skill levels it does make the game look like a lolly scramble. When people play each other they are often a bit hesitant commiting themselves forward in case they miss the tackle. Therefore there is a lot of "shadowing" on defence until you feel it is safe to move in and connect. This is the safest way to tackle....but it makes the game look like some crazy looking tiggy game rather than a rugby sim.

The Fifa system of having a press button (x) held down would be good if you want to make a safe smother type tackle...similar to the current run into tackle we have now on EA Rugby...the only difference is that all that crazy running around trying to shadow the ball carrier is eliminated and now we have straight to the point rugby tactical rugby instead of this dodgem nonsense.

The Fifa system of having a slide tackle (square) where you have to manually aim the direction is also good for EA rugby. This square button tackle can be the high risk/high reward dive tackle where the results can be rewarding (big hits from in front or round the legs from behind) and the consequences for missing are serious (lying on the ground no longer chasing).

The Fifa system of having a second defender pressing down (o) is also excellent. Now you can actually play as a sweeper while a second defender goes for the ball carrier. Or you can move up in the line and mark the reciever of the pass and let the computer mark the carrier of the ball. However the second reciever that you control is always the same person and does not automatically convert to the the next nearest defender if the ball is moved away. You have to take your thumb off the o button and press again to get the next nearest reciever.

Last edited:
Love your work mate. First the scrum idea and now this! So you'd have the slider's like they do in Madden, and you could leave them 50/50 (ruck vs support) or lean more towards securing rucks etc.

Was going to hook you up with more reputation points but it won't let me as i gave you some rep points for your scrummage idea, got to share the love around first.

TAKE NOTES OF THESE IDEA'S HB!

Yeah thanks man thats what i was a after, a slider would be cool

I like the Fifa system of defence.

Perhaps they should put it into this rugby game.

The reason I believe they should put the Fifa system of defence into a rugby game is because the current EA Rugby system of defence makes the game look very unrealistic.

Currently on EA Rugby you have to manually make your defender contact the ball carrier. Though this is good regarding players needing higher skill levels it does make the game look like a lolly scramble. When people play each other they are often a bit hesitant commiting themselves forward in case they miss the tackle. Therefore there is a lot of "shadowing" on defence until you feel it is safe to move in and connect. This is the safest way to tackle....but it makes the game look like some crazy looking tiggy game rather than a rugby sim.

The Fifa system of having a press button (x) held down would be good if you want to make a safe smother type tackle...similar to the current run into tackle we have now on EA Rugby...the only difference is that all that crazy running around trying to shadow the ball carrier is eliminated and now we have straight to the point rugby tactical rugby instead of this dodgem nonsense.

The Fifa system of having a slide tackle (square) where you have to manually aim the direction is also good for EA rugby. This square button tackle can be the high risk/high reward dive tackle where the results can be rewarding (big hits from in front or round the legs from behind) and the consequences for missing are serious (lying on the ground no longer chasing).

The Fifa system of having a second defender pressing down (o) is also excellent. Now you can actually play as a sweeper while a second defender goes for the ball carrier. Or you can move up in the line and mark the reciever of the pass and let the computer mark the carrier of the ball. However the second reciever that you control is always the same person and does not automatically convert to the the next nearest defender if the ball is moved away. You have to take your thumb off the o button and press again to get the next nearest reciever.
I'm glad you feel that way Gay-guy. I actually suggested that earlier on, as a way of counteracting players with lower skill levels missing tackles or having to "shadow" the attack. It shouldn't be that you can start holding down the x tackle from too far away though as it'd make defence too easy. It's a bit of a balancing issue, but if done right it could be balanced out to have varying degrees of closeness to the player required from Easy, Pro & Elite.

This would also be good in the earlier instance of being able to play people offl-line who are on a lower difficulty than you. I think that's important. Rugby games are so difficult for new people to adapt to, that they often stop playing due to getting thrashed by experts. Being able to have one player play on a higher level, with a newbie on Easy, would make it a great introduction to becoming a better player.

The square button tackle is a great idea too. I'm thinking it'd be a diving tackle when chasing and a big hit smother from a head-on position. If pushed too late the player would bump you off, on time would be a good tackle (maybe with a forward on a back a ball dis-lodger), too early would be an illegal hit (as in it was done early/pre-meditated). I'm just building on your idea with this, but I think it's great.

Also, love your bring second defender idea coming from Fifa too. This is why your the legend you are mate. This is a real take note post from you. Due to the possibility/likelihood of the Fifa engine (from my point of view), I think it's one of the most sensible ideas going right now.

I'm glad you feel that way Gay-guy. I actually suggested that earlier on, as a way of counteracting players with lower skill levels missing tackles or having to "shadow" the attack. It shouldn't be that you can start holding down the x tackle from too far away though as it'd make defence too easy. It's a bit of a balancing issue, but if done right it could be balanced out to have varying degrees of closeness to the player required from Easy, Pro & Elite.

This would also be good in the earlier instance of being able to play people offl-line who are on a lower difficulty than you. I think that's important. Rugby games are so difficult for new people to adapt to, that they often stop playing due to getting thrashed by experts. Being able to have one player play on a higher level, with a newbie on Easy, would make it a great introduction to becoming a better player.

The square button tackle is a great idea too. I'm thinking it'd be a diving tackle when chasing and a big hit smother from a head-on position. If pushed too late the player would bump you off, on time would be a good tackle (maybe with a forward on a back a ball dis-lodger), too early would be an illegal hit (as in it was done early/pre-meditated). I'm just building on your idea with this, but I think it's great.

Also, love your bring second defender idea coming from Fifa too. This is why your the legend you are mate. This is a real take note post from you. Due to the possibility/likelihood of the Fifa engine (from my point of view), I think it's one of the most sensible ideas going right now.

I think it would be important that this was a strong textbook diving around the thigh type tackle like Conrad Smith is so good at. Not those flying superman tackles from the previous games.

I think it would be important that this was a strong textbook diving around the thigh type tackle like Conrad Smith is so good at. Not those flying superman tackles from the previous games.
Would agree with you there. They were a side effect of the animations being used for a diving tackle from a slight distance on defence. This made a superman look as the animation held frame through the air without updating until contact. Gay-Guy's Fifa associated idea seems to suggest the player would slightly speed up his run and crash tackle around the upper leg/thigh area from a closer range and looking less superman-like.

I've been compiling a list of the most important things from the Forumers and fellow gamers point of views...

Game Play Options
- Training
- Classic Matches (with the actual players, uniforms etc of the time)
- Tournaments (absolute necessities have *s)
- World Cup*
- Four Nations*
- Super 15*
- Pacific Nations Cup*
- Currie Cup
- ITM Cup (NZ NPC)
- Six Nations*
- Guinness Premiership*
- Heineken Cup*
- Magners League
- Top 14
- Lions Tour*
- Create a Tournament (with option in the form of Round Robin, Knock Out, RR/KO World Cup/H Cup Style, Tour Style)*
- Franchise Mode (Similar to World League, but with improvements)*

Ruck Improvements
- Ability to put players into and take players out of the ruck
- Ball retention affected more by number of players in a ruck, distance from support etc.
- Momentum playing more of a role

Set Play Improvements
- Simple set play for use during rucks/mauls similar to the current set up, with four options, but performed at an increased pace
- Advanced set play for use during scrums/lineouts/taps, done similarly to in Rugby 2004

Lineout Improvements
- Being able to set numbers in a lineout
- Setting who the actual jumpers are (or options in general, with quick throw to the front prop etc being an option)
- Similar to Rugby 2004

Kicking Improvements
- Make kicking length more standard, even it out
- Chances of miskicks occurring rarely, based on a players skill
- More kicking options e.g. L2 + X being a drop kick (Rugby 06 style, not Rugby 08), O becoming a quick chip kick in the direction of play (Similar to Rugby League 3)
- Increased kicking speed (so that we aren't tackled in the middle of a grubber)
- Increased control of grubber direction

Tackling Improvements
- Smother 'homing tackle' to make it easier for newbies (hold down X?)
- Hard hit tackles (not necessarily high though) with a higher rick of being penalised, but an increased chance of stopping momentum etc.
- Dive tackles make tackler useless for small period of time (as they are on the floor etc) and can't be used constantly, maybe a tackle meter existing?
- More tackle animations

AI Improvements
- AI learn as you play, throughout the game they adjust their tactics to your play style, and the opposition may play differently against you in a tournament based on how you've performed previously, and the style you've adopted (they may also simply rest players)
- Increased difficulty settings
- Computer teams conceding more penalties, to model real life
- Stats reflect real life, e.g. more tries being scored than penalties in simulated games (as is not the case in Rugby 08 etc.)
- Teams playing similarly to their real life counterparts

Other Improvements
- In game player editing (unlockable?)
- Roster updates downloadable
- Online play (and online tournaments mirroring real life)
- Improved create a player option with more faces available, real faces usable, not just created ones, and downloadable face packs possible?
- Realistic rules regarding free kicks and penalties
- Weather affecting gameplay/teams adapting their style
- Improved graphics

Possible to include something similar to Online Team Play like ea sports use? so multiplayer can be more then just 1v1 matches on more then just 2 consoles, that way teams can be formed and online leagues are awesome! 15 consoles vs 15 consoles would be gold haha

Possible to include something similar to Online Team Play like ea sports use? so multiplayer can be more then just 1v1 matches on more then just 2 consoles, that way teams can be formed and online leagues are awesome! 15 consoles vs 15 consoles would be gold haha

It took a fair while for Fifa to get the tech to do that. That's with a huge budget. That's 20 player, your asking for 30. To be honest that's just asking too much for me to believe at the moment. Maybe in Rugby 2020. Even then, how do you make people stay being forwards in Rugby. Or backs?

What next, maybe HB will include online ref's, touch judges and TMO's all done by real people?

Game improvements
- accurate statistics and looks with players
- more competitions including Heineken Cup and possibly 7's world cup
- more kicking options like chip kicks, and drop punts , not just spiral punts
- created players/ referees: game face, custom kicking styles
- something similar to fifa 10- be a pro mode, where you play as one character in an entire game
- you build your custom player up to become a star player

Well im guessing most of my concerns are being taken care of by the previous 11 pages of people.

I'd like to see the ability to play as the ref, just control him around the field, use buttons and the other stick to make the calls. I have always wanted this feature so we could play 2 v 2 and then have 1 more player being the ref.

I would also like to see 7's rugby

but I would take a good solid rugby game over having these features chucked in. Create a solid base to work off then improve it with future games. I think 08 was the start of a good thing, so if you improve on that and use a solid game engine, get the rules right, solid fluid gameplay I will be very happy. Then start bringing in the extra stuff outside of the gameplay itself.

Last edited:
It took a fair while for Fifa to get the tech to do that. That's with a huge budget. That's 20 player, your asking for 30. To be honest that's just asking too much for me to believe at the moment. Maybe in Rugby 2020. Even then, how do you make people stay being forwards in Rugby. Or backs?

What next, maybe HB will include online ref's, touch judges and TMO's all done by real people?
Lol yeah lets face it....we all would be going hard out for the ball and eveyone would want to be the winger! Who would want to be the tighthead prop?