• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Suggestions/ideas for Rugby 2012

Oh, and it is crucial that it has the camera option to look from behind the players because that way everyon'e happy :)

I really like the corporate tie-ins in Madden (Snickers sponsoring the toss, Sprint Mobile game recaps etc.) and I think they would be a good addition for two reasons. One is that they give the games a more realistic atmosphere because you can recognise these real world elements. Another reason is that they might help HB Studios with their budget that everyone seems to be obssessing over. I think there is some on ground advertising in the Rugby games which, if it were stadium specific, would add to the realism.

I really like the corporate tie-ins in Madden (Snickers sponsoring the toss, Sprint Mobile game recaps etc.) and I think they would be a good addition for two reasons. One is that they give the games a more realistic atmosphere because you can recognise these real world elements. Another reason is that they might help HB Studios with their budget that everyone seems to be obssessing over. I think there is some on ground advertising in the Rugby games which, if it were stadium specific, would add to the realism.

Everyone is obsessing over the budget. What an intellectual point of view. That's what my English teacher would have referred to as a sweeping generalisation. I would say that all logically minded members of this forum would surely understand that this game cannot incorporate the level of in-depth features of other games with 10 times the budget.

Could it punch above it's weight and do very well? Yes and that'd be great, but thats about the threshold of reasonable expectation.

Sounds to me like the obsession you speak of could equally be levelled at your fascination with others thoughts on the game budget?

Everyone is obsessing over the budget. What an intellectual point of view. That's what my English teacher would have referred to as a sweeping generalisation. I would say that all logically minded members of this forum would surely understand that this game cannot incorporate the level of in-depth features of other games with 10 times the budget.

Could it punch above it's weight and do very well? Yes and that'd be great, but thats about the threshold of reasonable expectation.

Sounds to me like the obsession you speak of could equally be levelled at your fascination with others thoughts on the game budget?

It could also be that people are just used to those little details like advertising being everywhere, so they find it abnormal for it not to be there?

It could also be that people are just used to those little details like advertising being everywhere, so they find it abnormal for it not to be there?

Well it is there in Rugby'06 and Rugby'08 and even if there is a big increase in the in-game advertising it will not be a massive boost to the budget. Every little bit helps, but adding more advertising won't cover everything. It won't cover Be-A-Pro and 30-man online play and Superstar mode and full licenses and a full manager mode and dynamic injury view, and........ and......

These guys will have their budgets worked out, they are professionals and will try to incorporate everything that would make the core of a rugby game good. A slight budget increase through more advertising isn't the promised land of game development.

At what point did I say that in-game advertising is the promised land of game development and would allow a laundry list of far fetched features? I did not. All I said is that it might help, which Iversen seems to agree with. But that is not the point that I was trying to make, just an aside.

As far as an in game experience goes, I believe that advertising specific to stadiums is something subtle and easy to implement that would help capture the feeling of rugby as a global game. Imagine playing a game in South Africa and seeing Mr. Price advertising and then playing in New Zealand and seeing the Tui advertising. It would enhance the feeling of being on tour. It is something that was in the older rugby games that I think would be a great addition to the new one.

At what point did I say that in-game advertising is the promised land of game development and would allow a laundry list of far fetched features? I did not. All I said is that it might help, which Iversen seems to agree with. But that is not the point that I was trying to make, just an aside.

As far as an in game experience goes, I believe that advertising specific to stadiums is something subtle and easy to implement that would help capture the feeling of rugby as a global game. Imagine playing a game in South Africa and seeing Mr. Price advertising and then playing in New Zealand and seeing the Tui advertising. It would enhance the feeling of being on tour. It is something that was in the older rugby games that I think would be a great addition to the new one.

Could not agree more with the second paragraph, that if subtly implemented, further advertising would not perhaps add another dimension of realism to tours, competitions from different parts of the world.

I don't understand why people are having a go at people that come up with ideas like lines men and refs and other ideas that have nothing to do with gameplay. They just go on saying yeh thats what the game needs not gameplay. This thread is for ideas if you read this whole thread there are thousands of things saying how to improve gameplay all this stuff of good injurys touch judges are an awesome idea after the gameplay is there. Would you play a game that has no real people in it no real stadiums just a pitch with trees around it no ref or touch judges no injurys and very poor graphics but that has great gameplay no you wouldnt but all that stuff is added extras so don't knock people for coming up with them. When HB Studios has finished making the game play awesome then they can look to adding the stuff mentioned like TMO etc. if nothing is mentioned then maybe they wouldn't add it.

So in one line if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all make the forum a nice place

I don't understand why people are having a go at people that come up with ideas like lines men and refs and other ideas that have nothing to do with gameplay. They just go on saying yeh thats what the game needs not gameplay. This thread is for ideas if you read this whole thread there are thousands of things saying how to improve gameplay all this stuff of good injurys touch judges are an awesome idea after the gameplay is there. Would you play a game that has no real people in it no real stadiums just a pitch with trees around it no ref or touch judges no injurys and very poor graphics but that has great gameplay no you wouldnt but all that stuff is added extras so don't knock people for coming up with them. When HB Studios has finished making the game play awesome then they can look to adding the stuff mentioned like TMO etc. if nothing is mentioned then maybe they wouldn't add it.

So in one line if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all make the forum a nice place

All of those things you've mentioned in your post, nobody has complained about. It has been the really ridiculous suggestions that have caught some peoples eyes and they have a right to say that they think those ideas are not necessary for the game to be a good one. :)

pleaseeeeeee just do this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

same as rugby 08 but with better graphics and player faces and names..

with manyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy i mean alot more options for create a player like skins and that.... and the ability to edit player skills like take away or put on star players... espically for your created characters.

its simple many people dont agree with impact players but many do. so simply just put the option of the user/player to decide who is a star player and who isnt....

its only logic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pleaseeeeeee just do this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

same as rugby 08 but with better graphics and player faces and names..

with manyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy i mean alot more options for create a player like skins and that.... and the ability to edit player skills like take away or put on star players... espically for your created characters.

its simple many people dont agree with impact players but many do. so simply just put the option of the user/player to decide who is a star player and who isnt....

its only logic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, a rare find. A newer member who is all for giving people options not just his preferences. I totally agree with your post, but would say that there should a limit of something like 25 star players, you can give those stars to whoever you deem worthy and no more than 5 per team. People who don't like seeing the stars or, using star players should be able to apply it to absolutely no-one if they so want. This would be for off-line play only of course.

Also agree about many skins and editing features to get players as right as possible.

Love your idea waikatocheif, was just adding to it. :)

Wow, a rare find. A newer member who is all for giving people options not just his preferences. I totally agree with your post, but would say that there should a limit of something like 25 star players, you can give those stars to whoever you deem worthy and no more than 5 per team. People who don't like seeing the stars or, using star players should be able to apply it to absolutely no-one if they so want. This would be for off-line play only of course.

Also agree about many skins and editing features to get players as right as possible.

Love your idea waikatocheif, was just adding to it. :)

My problem with star players is that it gives them an unfair advantage for no real reason other than them having a star above their head. It annoyed me how much better say Josh Lewsey was than a winger with equal ability in real life. I just think if a player is good then their stats will/should reflect this and that will make them better on the pitch. Ronaldinho was always really good in football games but that was because his ball control and skill stats were higher than other players, just like Dan Carter should have higher goal kicking stats than most other 10s and that would make him better. Just because they are good doesn't mean that defenders should just brush off tackles and then they can boot the ball the length of the pitch. I bet there are wingers that could probably kick the ball as far, maybe further, than a lot of 10s and their stats should reflect this if so, not just a star that makes them amazing.

However coming back to waikatocheif's point, if there was an option to turn it on or off then that would be cool for me.

My problem with star players is that it gives them an unfair advantage for no real reason other than them having a star above their head. It annoyed me how much better say Josh Lewsey was than a winger with equal ability in real life. I just think if a player is good then their stats will/should reflect this and that will make them better on the pitch. Ronaldinho was always really good in football games but that was because his ball control and skill stats were higher than other players, just like Dan Carter should have higher goal kicking stats than most other 10s and that would make him better. Just because they are good doesn't mean that defenders should just brush off tackles and then they can boot the ball the length of the pitch. I bet there are wingers that could probably kick the ball as far, maybe further, than a lot of 10s and their stats should reflect this if so, not just a star that makes them amazing.

However coming back to waikatocheif's point, if there was an option to turn it on or off then that would be cool for me.

Yeah, well I'd say the default should be having them turned off, but it'd be awesome if you could assign who the star players were going to be if you wanted to use them. I mean if they wrongly stated a player as being 67 out of 100 overall and you applied a star, it's make him around 87 or something like that. When used on a 89 rated player, it'd just make him 99.

Everyone's going to have players they personally believe are better than others anyway, so this'd make it more customisable. After all a player like yourself might choose to only use four of the 25 stars I mentioned, just to bump up bad stats.

If it can't be used online and has to be unlocked as a feature to use off-line, I think I'd beat ball-trace mode into oblivion.

Yeah, well I'd say the default should be having them turned off, but it'd be awesome if you could assign who the star players were going to be if you wanted to use them. I mean if they wrongly stated a player as being 67 out of 100 overall and you applied a star, it's make him around 87 or something like that. When used on a 89 rated player, it'd just make him 99.

Everyone's going to have players they personally believe are better than others anyway, so this'd make it more customisable. After all a player like yourself might choose to only use four of the 25 stars I mentioned, just to bump up bad stats.

If it can't be used online and has to be unlocked as a feature to use off-line, I think I'd beat ball-trace mode into oblivion.

Couldnt that just be acheived with editable stats? Someone should put a poll up to see how much of the community wants to keep the stars

Couldnt that just be acheived with editable stats? Someone should put a poll up to see how much of the community wants to keep the stars

So, your saying you'd prefer slow-mo mode and ball-trace modes then, lol. :p

I don't want editable stats, hopefully they get the stats right where you won't have to edit them. Like Lachie Turner being 40/40 speed and acceleration, something like that.

No stars, no edittable stats, because if they get it right, they shouldn't need edittable stats.

I don't want editable stats, hopefully they get the stats right where you won't have to edit them. Like Lachie Turner being 40/40 speed and acceleration, something like that.

No stars, no edittable stats, because if they get it right, they shouldn't need edittable stats.

Why not editable stats? They have never got them right and will never please everyone. The editable stats wouldn't be usable online, so it'd just be for off-line fun with mates or the like. The beauty of it is that you don't have to edit anything if you don't want to. You could switch off stars and edit nothing and still get your dream game, whilst everyone else would get theirs. Sounds kinda fair.

Why not editable stats? They have never got them right and will never please everyone. The editable stats wouldn't be usable online, so it'd just be for off-line fun with mates or the like. The beauty of it is that you don't have to edit anything if you don't want to. You could switch off stars and edit nothing and still get your dream game, whilst everyone else would get theirs. Sounds kinda fair.

Well I hope HB Studios will use us as a community help compile the stats, team lists etc would save on their workload and give a community opnion on what the stats should be. there wont be a consensus but you could use averages.

I think main thing they have to do with the stats is to make them actually mean something, and have the variation of the points more subtle. In 08 for example the kicking there is a huge difference between someone in the 80's and in the 90's like if it was 89 and the other player 91 it was such a high gap in ability.

Fair dinkum.

for me i think star players is a good idea etc etc but for the people that dont like it just switch it of. eg jerry collins without a star but still had the same abilitys would still destroy and people will think wtf??? why does he get through like 2 tackles everytime.. but the star players idea i believe is good because theyre impactplayers i mean if your losing by so much and your teams crap you can just flick it to your star to get you on the front foot which pretty much resembles real life ie the crusaders backline would be **** without carter? coz hes a game breaker. and editable stats should be an option becuase lets face it theres over 2000 players on 08 with many stats out ie lachie turner is 40 etc etc