• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Suggestions/ideas for Rugby 2012

I've been playing a lot of NHL 09 recently and one thing the AI does is adapt. If your attacking the same way each time, the AI will shift how they play to match it so you have to modify the attack style. That way it stops there being one easy way to score tries and therefore makes each game and therfore the log term gameplay of the game more of a challenge.

1. Sevens mode! There should be a 7's tournament where you select a squad from the country you want to be.
2. Player attributes should be able to be edited by the player. Some of the attributes are horribly wrong and it gets very annoying (Like Spies is slow and weak)
3. Need to fix some of the rules. For instance, if you have a penalty advantage and the ball goes out, you have the line-out not the penalty. That HAS TO be fixed. Also when you take a drop goal your advantage is over too. They must make it go back for the penalty.
4. Squads must be 34 men. 30 isn't enough in the tournaments for guys like me who like to mix things up.
5. A player musn't knock the ball on every time he touches it if he is playing out of position. This is the most irritating thing in the entire game.
6. Only the locks and the number 8 can jump in the line-outs. The flanks should be able to jump too.
7. Drop-goal distance is too short. You can't get it from more then 40m out. You should be able to slot drop goals from halfway.
8. Blood. Just to make it more realistic.
9. World league mode. Their should be contract negotiations, media stuff etc. Like players complain that they not getting enough game time, or they might want a raise or something. Like a really hectic manager mode.
10. Fatigue mode for tournaments. In tournaments, players should have a fatigue bar. If you play them too many games without subbing or resting them, their fatigue bar could rise which could cause injury. This will force gamers to manager their guys properly.There should be an option to turn this function off though.
11. Up and unders need to go further.
12. No players should be rated under 65. If they were so useless they wouldn't be playing rugby (Except Earl Rose)
13. There should be a new attribute. Cleverness, or ingenuity or something. How smart the guy is. Like Ricky Januarie is rated more then Fourie du Preez. There should be a smartness attribute as in decision-making, then this mistake in the ratings would be corrected.

I definitely agree with rugby writer, especially with the sevens, I think thats a great idea.
Cheers

I don't want editable stats, hopefully they get the stats right where you won't have to edit them. Like Lachie Turner being 40/40 speed and acceleration, something like that.

no edittable stats, because if they get it right, they shouldn't need edittable stats.

I don't understand the logic behind this. Why not support editable stats because rugby players are ever-changing in their stats and attributes. I would demote Gavin Henson in heartbeat if I could edit his stats because he is in no way as good as Ma'a Nonu. However should he turn the corner and win the 2011 World Cup for Wales, why shouldn't players be able to amend those stats accordingly?

I think HB needs to learn its lessons from the other EA games and allow customisable attributes, because like it or not they are never going to get it right. Another senior member mentioned the appalling stats given to Nick Evans in 08 which rendered him useless. We should be able to address these issues as we see fit.

Of course you need editable stats. What are the chances of getting every players stats spot on? besides we'll all have differing views as to which players are better (or not) so whether to include editable stats is really a no brainer.

I think the main theme everybody's ideas are focused around is realism. Rugby08 lagged was far from realistic and if nothing else, I hope this is changed in the new version. I mean some of the aspects are plain ridiculous and plain to see if you have ever played rugby, for instance:
-The defence isn't usually quick enough to tackle you before you have finished making a quick tap when they are back 10m
-There isn't a turn over every time someone makes a half break
-There isn't a turn over every time there are two pick-and-drives in a row
-There isn't a turn over every time Shalk Burger makes a tackle
-The scrumhalf doesn't take the pick-and-drive, a forward does
-Forwards can take a pick-and-drive without the scrumhalf being there
-You actually land on the ball when you are diving on it, not just before it and it doesn't take 3 seconds to get to the ground.
-One of the forwards does not tackle the opposition player catching the ball in the air every time there is a good short, high kick off
-There is no long arm penalty given for a non-straight lineout throw, there is a short-arm
-There is never a kick-off aimed at the winger on the opposing side to the forward pack
-There is not a drop-goal taken every time you have an attacking scrum in the opposition 22, ESPECIALLY not if your down by 40 points
-The locks don't always jump in the lineout
-If a team has a "long goal kicker" he only takes long penalties, not conversions from the sideline
-If a player starts kicking a grubber when the defender is 10m away, the defender does not get to the kicker before he can complete his kick.
-It is possible to do a cut-out pass, then a quick pass straight away. There is no law that says a cut-out pass must always be followed by another cut-out pass
-A backline move will not be called if the "backline" is full of front rowers.
-A player running sideways can pass the ball can pass the ball forward of his hips because the ball will not go forward
- When a player gets his hands free in a tackle and has a team mate in open space on one side and a team mate surrounded by defenders on the other side, he will offload it to the team mate in the space.
-Every tackle in the defensive 22 is not a huge spear tackle. Especially not by a scrumhalf on a number 8
-When a player breaks a tackle he is not incapacitated until he has eventually been tackled.
-A missed drop goal is not advantage on a long arm penalty
-When a player gets injured the world doesn't freeze.

Haha, I love the last one. Good list of problems. I'd also like to add

-Getting a high tackle penalty, after passing to your winger in space, does not mean there is no advantage, let my winger score!
-An advantage doesn't end if the ball goes into touch.
-When running backwards, the entire opposing team doesn't get out of formation.
-Running forwards often has some merits, and finding small spaces as well. Not every play needs to feature running diagonally.
-Nyanga doesn't injure people every tackle.

I think the main theme everybody's ideas are focused around is realism. Rugby08 lagged was far from realistic and if nothing else, I hope this is changed in the new version. I mean some of the aspects are plain ridiculous and plain to see if you have ever played rugby, for instance:
-The defence isn't usually quick enough to tackle you before you have finished making a quick tap when they are back 10m
-You actually land on the ball when you are diving on it, not just before it and it doesn't take 3 seconds to get to the ground.
-One of the forwards does not tackle the opposition player catching the ball in the air every time there is a good short, high kick off
-There is no long arm penalty given for a non-straight lineout throw, there is a short-arm
-There is never a kick-off aimed at the winger on the opposing side to the forward pack
-There is not a drop-goal taken every time you have an attacking scrum in the opposition 22, ESPECIALLY not if your down by 40 points
-If a team has a "long goal kicker" he only takes long penalties, not conversions from the sideline
-If a player starts kicking a grubber when the defender is 10m away, the defender does not get to the kicker before he can complete his kick.
-It is possible to do a cut-out pass, then a quick pass straight away. There is no law that says a cut-out pass must always be followed by another cut-out pass
-A player running sideways can pass the ball can pass the ball forward of his hips because the ball will not go forward
- When a player gets his hands free in a tackle and has a team mate in open space on one side and a team mate surrounded by defenders on the other side, he will offload it to the team mate in the space.
-Every tackle in the defensive 22 is not a huge spear tackle. Especially not by a scrumhalf on a number 8
-When a player breaks a tackle he is not incapacitated until he has eventually been tackled.

I agree with this so much. This is a very important post that HB should definitely take note of.
Added to this;
-You hardly ever see a lineout where the ball is thrown all the way back to a player who hasn't been lifted, thats just silly. Also, its infuriating when there is a lineout on your goalline and the opposition throws the ball to the number 8, it is impossible to stop him from scoring. wtf?
-When the ball gets tapped down to the halfback in the lineout, why does the halfback start running forward into the lineout, making it impossible to throw a good pass?
-When portugal, georgia, tonga or even samoa play the All Blacks in the world cup, its not likely that they will be up against Carter, McCaw, Smith and Nonu. They have a squad of 30, they rotate players a little bit.
-When the ball gets kicked and is about to land about 5 metres out from touch, you dont see the wingers catching the ball and then their momentum carrying them out. This is just infuriating.
-If i initiate a tackle animation on a ball carrier, and then he passes the ball and the animation carries on to the player that is about to catch the ball, hitting him early, dont penalise me. That isn't an early tackle, thats poor programming.

Last edited:
I don't understand the logic behind this. Why not support editable stats because rugby players are ever-changing in their stats and attributes. I would demote Gavin Henson in heartbeat if I could edit his stats because he is in no way as good as Ma'a Nonu. However should he turn the corner and win the 2011 World Cup for Wales, why shouldn't players be able to amend those stats accordingly?

I think HB needs to learn its lessons from the other EA games and allow customisable attributes, because like it or not they are never going to get it right. Another senior member mentioned the appalling stats given to Nick Evans in 08 which rendered him useless. We should be able to address these issues as we see fit.

Yes i agree stats should be accurate 1st time but should be able to edit them h.b won't get everything right.Every1 has a different opinion on how good or bad a player rating is.I just hope Ma'a Nonu is in the high 90's he can tackle awesome now and his passing game is great he got a mean wide skip pass.

hope h.b fix the glitch when you get injured the game freeze i hate pulling out the controller and putting it back in to unfreeze the game

I agree, with everything you say but a lineout throw not being straight isnt a half arm either...

I dunno if this has been said already, but could there be a feature that lets you make your own teams/competitions. Like you could make say a 14 team competition and make 14 teams?

different runnig styles for pick and drives (low) eg hold a button similar to crouching in FPS's or watever as oposed to open field running (upright)

-Lineouts... Way too many not-straight throws when playing elite. Perhaps the ability to pull men from the lineout if you want.

-The world league is great, and I would like to see the manager idea transferred to the Magners League and Super 14.

-Better AI on your own side. I have lost count of the times my AI have taken their time to collect a dropped ball, only to have it pounced on by the opposition.

-The ability to create your own Lions and Barbarians squads would also be interesting, as well as the ability to create tours for individual teams (such as an NZ tour of Europe).

-As said by others, a sevens feature would be fun.

-The physics should be changed; being tackled while diving for a try should not stop the player mid-dive.

-No more freezing when there are injuries.

Looking forward to Rugby 2012 on X360!

Weaknesses, as well as right and left handed bias

would be great if players had weaknesses traits or inabilities. and left and right made differences.

IE very few people can step both ways, including a lot of wingers.eg.( So attempting to perform a left footed step with a "right step only" player would either only let them perform a very feeble step or they would simply not respond to the button.)

ALSO, Halfbacks are usually the only players who can pass equally effective both ways.eg. ( So maybe poor ball handling skill players that are right handed can only perform an efficient left to right pass. and a right to left pass for him is limited in distance and is much more susceptible to interception or knock ons.)

there are many other areas that could be included in this, such as ability to stiff arm, and a more effective tackling shoulder (would make breaking the inside easier) , and so on

CONCLUSION
weaknesses would not require much engine tempering, just disabling certain skills of a player. left and right bias, might require a bit more.
however these benefits would be well worth their inclusion, as well as 0 to 100 player ratings are useful. Adding this "system" would give another dimension to a rather 2-dimensional player ranking system.
It will reward players who love to know every aspect of their team, and rearrange their 1stXV to fully compliment their strengths, and knowing a particular opposition ins and outs will let you reek rewards.

thanks for reading my comment.

Endurance atribute thats got nothing to do with running but to do with how many tackles you make a d rucks you clean out. Schalk burger will be very high but a wings would be low or bakies botha will be high but victor matfields not that high. You have stamina for running backline players are high but there endurance is low and loose forwards endurance is high. Pierre Spies should have a average endurance but high speed and stamina and Schalk Burger high endurance average speed and high stamina just for a example. Habbana high speed high stamina average endurance Shane Williams high speed high sramina low endurance. So if you make Shane Williams make alot of tackles or join alot of rucks he will fatigue quickly but if you score a 80 metre try with him who wont fatigue that much becuase he has a high stamina but if you somehow score the same try with Bakkies Botha he will fatigue alot becuase he will have low stamina but if shane williams made as many tackles an the ruck as much as Bakkies he would fatigue alot to becuase he has low endurance where Bakkies will have high endurance.

Perhaps it has been said, but as I'm far too lazy to sieve through this entire thread I'll say it anyway. An integrated season is a big thing for me. To have the top leagues running off at the same time with HC and international breaks would be a bit epic.

Right, enough internet, back to study.

I think that should improve the rucks and mauls. and in licensing a company like EA should have no problem to include more teams and competitions:
competitions as I would include the Celtic League, the top 14 French, Italian league, six nations b, the pacific nations, the Currie Cup, Air New Zealand Cup.
by ordering could also include a way to play rugby sevens.
another important aspect in my opinion are the levels of difficulty, because in previous versions was not difficult to win at the highest difficulty level, even with the lower level teams

Last edited:
this is my first post so first off i will say GREAT news about a new rugby game. i'm sure it will be amazing.
now, here's my list of things i would like added/changed for the game - hopefuly they are'nt unrealistic to do.

1. Coach/Career Mode. (Similar to that of rugby 08, 06 etc, but maybe slightly more detail? more injuries? a youth system? and players ages go up every season with inclusion of retirements?) taking your club through the league, cups etc.

possibly include international career where you take your country on a 4 year career? eg if i am playing the game as wales, i pick my squad for the autumn internationals. then i pick my squad for the 6nations, then a summer tour then start all over again but on the 4th season, the world cup. if i was south africa, i would do the autumn tests, tri nations, summer tests then world cup.

2. Inclusion of a 7s tournament. Magners League. French Top 14. British Lions (Option of picking your squad)

3. Tackling (Everyone enjoys a big hit. how about having an option to line up a man ready for a crunching tackle.) in this section maybe adding shoulder charge? as well as the good ol' swingin' arm!

4. Harsher refs with yellows and red cards for more than illegal tackle? any professional foul or constant collapsing of scrums.

5. Line Outs - Inclusion of throws not straight?

6. Blood Bin? a possible inclusion for a replacement because of blood? when the player is stitched up, he comes back on?

7. interceptions and obviously the risk of missing it and leaking a try.

8. having a weak link in your defence exposed? maybe a smaller player targetted by the bigger ones?

what do you think?

Perhaps it has been said, but as I'm far too lazy to sieve through this entire thread I'll say it anyway. An integrated season is a big thing for me. To have the top leagues running off at the same time with HC and international breaks would be a bit epic.

Right, enough internet, back to study.

Very epic, especially if they made it Fifa manager mode esque.

Another cool feature in the Manager mode feature would be if you were the international coach of the country your club is based in, so you could edit the squad based on club form before the 6N/3N June/November tours etc.

ANOTHER MAJOR ISSUE

Why do so many fly-halves have their kicking power on 50? That bloody ruined Morne Steyn!

There are also too many backs with their speed in the 60's. And I believe Lachie Turner is like 40? Very very few backs would be less then 70 - 75.

Put more effort into finding out who can kcik for goal and who can't. There are too many goal-kickers that can't kick for goal in the game.

Guys like Henson, Wilkinson, Carter etc. kick the ball waaaay too far. Very unrealistic.

Please make a difficulty where it is very hard to win. I 'm tired of beating the ABs 112 - 0 with Spain/Russia on elite.

You should be able to start a fight.

More then 1 guy should be able to tackle someone at once.

Please think logically about some player ratings. Like Conrad Smith at 96 but Nonu at 78? Andy Goode at 84 but Morne Steyn at 70?

Why is Wilkinson stronger then Richie Mccaw?

Why is Jaques Fourie a snail?

Latest posts