• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Summary of world cup

Thoughts on the World Cup 2010

• Total voters
Seems to be the Murray Mexted of football commentating?

Only Murray Walker was quite funny, occasionally. Motson is as funny as a coach crash.

It's nothing to do with his commentating ability, it just seems wrong without him. In the same way the 6 Nations would be wrong without Brian Moore, even though he's a joke.

I picked unsure. Enjoyed most of the games, but was annoyed by the sound of the vuvzela. Also the fact that some refs. disallowed goals and by this ruined the tournament of countries as Mexico.

The big countries also didn't life up the expectations and the awful high amount of mean tackles.

I think it was an amazing tournament with Slovenia, Slovakia, New Zealand, Chili, Paraguay, Uruguay, Holland and Ghana doing better than everybody thought! The fact that countries like Italy, France, England and Portugal didn't bring what we expected from them, doesn't make this a bad tournament. We've seen some good players presenting themselves to the world like Thomas Muller, Wesley Sneijder, Luis Suarez (who played an amazing tournament and shouldn't be judged by that one hand-ball), Arjen Robben and David Villa.

I enjoyed this tournament a lot partly because my 2 countries, Uruguay and Holland, made it all the way through to the last round (final for Holland, 3rd place play-off for Uruguay)

Saying that this tournament was ruined by aggressive play is ridiculous because there haven't been any worse fouls committed compared to the 2006 World Cup for instance. Just because this World Cup ended last weekend it's still fresh in our memory we remember all the bad things.

It's like with music. We only remember the good music from the seventies, not the crap that was produced and people say that everything was a lot better in the past.

In 4 years we will have some awful tackles and maybe somebody punching an opponent again and we will say once again that it was the World Cup with the most embarrassing tackles all over again.

Last edited:
There were 20 or so better games of football in 2006 than there were in this world cup. At least.

I was very impressed with the WC. I've never watched more football in my life, infact this WC was the first time I sat through a whole football match without falling asleep. I think I might classify myself now as a converted football admirer. Only slightly.

About the Vuvu's, they didn't bother me. It was only once the media started drawing everyone's attention to it that it became so utterly irritating.
It's like when you're lying in bed and you focus on the tick tock of the clock in the hall and then you try and shut it out. Even though you've fallen asleep to that tic toc many times before.

The ball I believe were designed and tested by English scientists at a well known uni. Maybe a feeble attempt by english academia to bring a bit of spontaneity into the game?

But as a newly converted "admirer", I think the biggest failing with this sport is how it was exposed as a game in dire need of some technology. Once they get that sorted out I think I could adopt a club.

Soccer to me is an alright sport. It'd be much better if players wouldn't fall to the floor like Peter Griffen, holding their knee, everytime they got bumped. Many have already commented on the overly defensive/passive play that dominated this tournament.
South Africa was a poor choice for this tournament. The stadiums are un-sustainable as soccer stadiums in the future (http://www.rugbyweek.com/news/article.asp?id=26413). While their may be a large population of footballers in SA, that community has no money, and unfortunately it's all about money these days, eh? This led to empty seats.
The Vuvuzelas made it suck even more. I'm in America, and my wife and I decided to hop over to a pub, AFTER the final (which I was happy that Spain won), and there was some dipsh*t blowing the ever-loving **** out of a vuvuzela he'd brought back from SA. I told our waitress to ask him to stop as we were in a tiny place and it was like 2 hours after the match. She informed me that he was drunk and had been blowing it all day. I informed her to inform him that the large gentleman with the shaved head would shove it up his ass and give him a nice squeeze to see if I could perfect that god-awful sound.
The problem with the vuvuzela is that they would be fine if blown at specific moments: goals, penalties, etc... however people act like feckin' 5 year olds when they are handed one and just continue blowing untill they pass out. It's like a toy I'd get my nephew and watch him just run around for like hours upon hours blowing it and he'd eventually just tucker himself out. That is how I see SA Footy fans. They just keep blowing those non-musical horns until they pass out, wake up and start a-blowing again.

South Africa did fine as a host, but there were always going to be challenges that South Africa had little to do with.
It was probably my favourite World Cup in NZ doing as well as we did (Being the only undefeated team in the World Cup, lol), however I don't think it did much as an advertisment for soccer at all.
The ball should have been tested a bit more, or forced its way onto majour leagues at least a season prior to the FWC. Germany used the ball before hand and they were scoring goals constantly, 12 goals in 3 games alone. However because of this, so many balls went miles over the goal, and it got to the point it made the multi million dollar players look pathetic.
The other issue was that big teams like France, England and Italy didn't front up at all. Big players also didn't front up, and it's hard when you look at the World Cup, to see a great star player that stood out. There were very few magic moments in the WC, which was the trademark of the 2006 tornement.

My biggest problem though was the vuvuzelaz. Fifa should have realized that while it is important to let nations bring their own culture into the tornement, if it comes at the expence of the enjoyment from the players and world fans, then it should have been banned.

My biggest problem though was the vuvuzelaz. Fifa should have realized that while it is important to let nations bring their own culture into the tornement, if it comes at the expence of the enjoyment from the players and world fans, then it should have been banned.

Trust me, they would of burnt down every stadium if vuvuzela's got banned.

CAPE TOWN, July 16 (Reuters) - As rugby reclaims its usual place on South Africa's back pages, administrators countrywide are determined to ensure that the controversial vuvuzela plays no part in the sport's post-World Cup future.
The noisy plastic trumpet was a major talking point at the soccer extravaganza but it has since been banned from most rugby venues, including Soccer City, the stadium that hosted last Sunday's World Cup final and awaits the Springboks next month.
South Africa will play New Zealand's All Blacks in a Tri-Nations match at the renamed 88,000-seater National Stadium on Aug. 21 after the local Golden Lions Rugby Union decided to move the match from their regular home of Ellis Park.
"We've done research and the feedback from players and match officials is that it's very difficult to communicate with the vuvuzela," Golden Lions president Kevin de Klerk told Reuters.
"I know there's still a lot of sentiment around. It's not a personal thing but that's how it stands at this stage in time."
That view appears to be echoed around South Africa's rugby venues, with Cape Town's Newlands having already banned the vuvuzela from last month's test against France. When De Klerk's Golden Lions play Western Province there in a provincial Currie Cup match on Saturday, fans will be greeted by numerous signboards displaying: "No vuvuzelas. No musical instruments".
Despite the vuvuzela's absence, De Klerk said rugby had to embrace the soccer World Cup's legacy in order to survive, starting with utilising the stadiums built for the tournament.
Ellis Park is the spiritual home of the Springboks and was the scene of the 1995 World Cup victory over the All Blacks, but the venue's ageing state and its location in a run-down part of Johannesburg's business district have become negative factors.
"Ellis Park is the field of dreams, it's where the 1995 World Cup was won but time moves on, unfortunately," said De Klerk, a feared lock forward who played 13 tests between 1974 and 1981.
"There's great sentiment and a great history. I understand it more than most because I started playing there in 1968 as a schoolboy but we've listened to our fans." (Editing by John O'Brien; To query or comment on this story email [email protected])
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/7596646/vuvuzelas-friends-south-african-rugby-venues

I have read somewhere that vuvuzealas have only been produced since 2002 Is this true ? and if so how can this be described as part of the football culture enough to warrant them not being banned

Latest posts