• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Summer tours - England

I'll defer to your better knowledge on Ashman, although if he's really as good as you say, I'm surprised he's not leapfrogged Akker or at least Langdon (who I rate) ...

I'll defer to your better knowledge on Ashman, although if he's really as good as you say, I'm surprised he's not leapfrogged Akker or at least Langdon (who I rate) ...

Sale fans thinking the same tbh - most people think he's leaving for a Scottish side at the end of the season (hence signing Taylor) so we're investing time in Langdon instead

Slade is refusing to have the Covid Jab....and now its all blown up. Really? Am i the only one who sees this as a non story?

It's not a non-story. As a fairly influential, high profile professional sportsman, Slade making these types of comments is highly irresponsible IMO.

He is entitled to his own opinion, but he doesn't need to share it in the media.

It's not a non-story. As a fairly influential, high profile professional sportsman, Slade making these types of comments is highly irresponsible IMO.

He is entitled to his own opinion, but he doesn't need to share it in the media.
Added to a few other covidiot comments from the Exeter camp - there must be a LOT of coolaid in Devon!

Oh, and "role model says stupid, dangerous thing" is never a non-story

Yeah, him being in an at-risk category, having type 1 diabetes, makes it a lot worse as well

He's been a bit of a spokesperson for diabetes sufferes/done a lot of work showing kids not to let it define you/you can achieve whatever you want etc.
If they now see him in the press saying it's too dangerous to take, despite Diabetes UK saying it's important to get vaccinated etc. then it could sew seeds of doubt

See this is my worry. There is now a race to cap potential young players, regardless of if they are ready so they are tied to a country. I think it's bad trend that could harm player development and mental health, especially as it will put a certain amount of pressure and expectation on them. I know all countries do it to an extent, but personally Wales and Scotland have to take alot of the blame, especially Scotland. They have been looking at capping young players more and more to widen their talent pool and it was only a matter of time before other countries followed to try and protect assets or just beat them to the punch.

I agree in principle, but I think Dan Kelly looks ready for a summer series vs Tier 2 opposition,
Especially as 12 is a position we're very shallow in, and the only real option EJ has consistently trusted there is off with the Lions

I know he's played really well for Bath, but Reid for England feels....audacious

Sinckler as captain for England is an odd choice.
Could see Underhill, though. Not long term, but a decent stop gap. Experienced enough and has a good head on his shoulders.
That said Ben Curry should be in that 7 shirt...

1622327158821.png
1622327185399.png
triggered GIF

6. Curry, 7. Underhill, 8. Dombrandt,
20. Barbeary

See this is my worry. There is now a race to cap potential young players, regardless of if they are ready so they are tied to a country. I think it's bad trend that could harm player development and mental health, especially as it will put a certain amount of pressure and expectation on them. I know all countries do it to an extent, but personally Wales and Scotland have to take alot of the blame, especially Scotland. They have been looking at capping young players more and more to widen their talent pool and it was only a matter of time before other countries followed to try and protect assets or just beat them to the punch.
I agree in principle. However, as Olyy has said, Kelly is good enough to warrant consideration regardless of the dual eligibility situation.

As much as he's played for Ireland at U20 level, he's born and raised here and has been developed in our club system. Arguably, it's more of a poach from Ireland.

The 'race' is created by a system that basically means if a player is not capped by England by the time they're 22 or 23, the vultures are immediately circling.

I don't think Rodd, Kelly or Odogwu are ready for the full England side just yet, but I'm confident they will be. Unfortunately the current situation doesn't allow for that development curve. If they're not capped straight away, the silver tongues are wagging and they're lost to us way too early. After losing Redpath and Williams to Scotland and Wales (despite investing in their development and showing plenty of intent to pick them in the future), I think we need to protect ourselves a bit better.

I'm absolutely not advocating picking anyone who qualifies for another nation 'just in case', but for anyone who genuinely looks like they're going to be a test player, we need to be smarter.

I agree in principle, but I think Dan Kelly looks ready for a summer series vs Tier 2 opposition,
Especially as 12 is a position we're very shallow in, and the only real option EJ has consistently trusted there is off with the Lions

I know he's played really well for Bath, but Reid for England feels....audacious

Sinckler as captain for England is an odd choice.
Could see Underhill, though. Not long term, but a decent stop gap. Experienced enough and has a good head on his shoulders.
That said Ben Curry should be in that 7 shirt...

View attachment 11024
View attachment 11025
triggered GIF

6. Curry, 7. Underhill, 8. Dombrandt,
20. Barbeary
Does it?

I was a bit sceptical on Reid initially, but I'm converted. As of right now, he's probably the form 6 in the league and there's a lot there to like. He's a good lineout forward, physical and abrasive and quick and athletic enough to be a decent threat over the ball.

I'm a big fan of Ted Hill for example but in a like for like comparison, Reid is a lot more deserving right now.

I'm okay with Reid being in consideration - he's good enough, with good enough form to warrant a mention, and he's finishing his second season, not first, so has had a lot more exposure, and still effective after the video analysts have got their teeth into him.

Of course, the queue to play flanker for England is quite lengthy, and congested.

But can we please use his real name?

Last edited:
I think we're going to be disappointed at the number of new faces, tbh

The Six Nations backrowers were:

Courtney Lawes
Tom Curry
Ben Earl
George Martin (replaced Willis, who replaced Underhill)
Billy Vunipola
Mark Wilson

I could see:
Dombrandt in for Mark Wilson,
Underhill in for Curry (Martin promoted from replacement to full pick)
a dedicated lock in for Lawes
Barbeary in as 3rd hooker (we usually only have two in an EPS) but more likely to see game time at 6 or 8

I reckon EJ will have Binny there because:
a) He always does, he's been first name on EJ's team sheet since day one
b) They'll want to keep him fit for a potential Lions callup

The uncapped game vs Scotland A will be interesting, though the sceptic in me thinks this'll just be EPS with non-playoff players drafted in for the one game, rather than a full "A" side

Dunno, apparently EJ is planning to rest players this summer. I'll believe it when I see it, but for some reason with the Lions tour I'm slightly more hopeful. Also taking Binny might mean he gets shown up by the new boys and EJ won't want that.

Yeah, I want to believe he will, but he said the same about the autumn nations cup
With us having a pretty decent representation in the lions he might just replace them and call it a day there - though that in itself is a pretty heavily rotated side
Two hookers, three locks (plus one injured), flyhalf, wing + fullback
All positions we want to be looking at

Yeah, I want to believe he will, but he said the same about the autumn nations cup
With us having a pretty decent representation in the lions he might just replace them and call it a day there - though that in itself is a pretty heavily rotated side
Two hookers, three locks (plus one injured), flyhalf, wing + fullback
All positions we want to be looking at
Issue is still depth really. Would like him to look more widely and give players a chance, than just have them as stand ins because his favourites are unavailable. I also think he might have accepted that he can't keep going with the current team and he knows he needs to make changes.

Latest posts