• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Summer tours - England

I thought it was a mixed bag for Earl - for everything he did right he did something dumb/bad.
Just looks like he's trying too hard atm, which is probably understandable considering a frustrating 6N period.

Malins looked class, though

Mercer, as above, has been playing out of his skin recently - frustrating as an England fan, but what isn't frustrating about being an England fan?

I hope Mercer goes to France and becomes even better before returning in the future as a extremely capable 8. Would be a shame to lose him completely if he continues to improve. Considering accusations about his smaller stature and being lightweight, he has a Hamish Watson esque ability to make ground it doesn't look like he should when on form, largely due to good footwork to hit a shoulder rather than just running straight. He's had that never say die attitude since the U20's too.

As ever it's not an even distribution across the positions, but it feels like there's a heck of a lot of talent around at the moment. Hell, we've even got some exciting 9s coming through and a bloke who's fit, in form and regularly plays at 12.

BTW. Have I missed the outcome of Bill Sweeney's 6N review? Tournament finished a month ago and I thought it was all due to be done and dusted in a couple of weeks. Does it take a month to back your man?

As much as im not impressed with the Falcons at the moment...another 8 i would put in the mix is our Callum Chick. He's bulked up and its taken his game up another level.

I would hope Jones has a look at him and ignores the type of rugby we are playing.

As much as im not impressed with the Falcons at the moment...another 8 i would put in the mix is our Callum Chick. He's bulked up and its taken his game up another level.

I would hope Jones has a look at him and ignores the type of rugby we are playing.
There's a lot of players way above Chick in the pecking order that haven't had a shot yet - I wouldn't hold your breath on him even making a squad, it's just such a position of strength at the moment

Oh im not holding my breath thats for sure, but i just think hes worth having a look.

Is it a position of Strength?

Incumbent:
Billy - Everyone is criticizing.

The potential:
Dombrandt - Needs to be played
Tom Willis - Looks a very good player

The others:
Mercer - Away to France
Simmonds - Clearly Jones is not interested
Earl - Prefer him at Flanker than 8.

Who have i missed?

Chick was very good in a beaten side, tbf

His name should definitely be in the mix, but there's so many already in the mix there's going to be some very good players that miss out

Chick seems to be the solid sort of 8.
Never gets plaudits but does everything really well.

Type of player that if he was at Exeter the press would be pushing him for a cap.

Chick seems to be the solid sort of 8.
Never gets plaudits but does everything really well.

Type of player that if he was at Exeter the press would be pushing him for a cap.
Hes always been talented but dare i say was a little light. This extra weight means he is now dominating collisions....

I doubt he'll be in the mix, but he's a very good alround 8...

I'm going to be very disappointed if we don't get a proper look at Dombrandt, Smith and Devoto in the summer. Those are all playing consistently well in problem positions.

Never been Mercer's biggest fan, but he's playing out of his skin right now. Very impressive. Ship has sailed for the moment, but feels like he's giving Jones a bit of a 2 fingered salute.

Isiekwe must also get some game time - as a lock. If there are any consistently better in the air at kick offs and line outs it's not many. He'll never be an a Itoje occasional 10/10 type but feels like he's developing more into a Kruis - very solid, low error count, not entirely sure what does, but teams seem to be better with him in - type. Even if he has lost a bit of weight to play 6 for Saints he's still a very big bloke and incredibly athletic. That Sarries invariably found a way to include him while having Itoje, Kruis and Skelton on the books spoke volumes and he'll have learned so much from a year in a different culture including a v rough period and a different style of play.

I agree on the first sentence. Less so on Isiekwe.

I like him as a player but I'd be loathe to pick him at lock when he's not been playing there.

In an ideal world, he goes back to Sarries and builds a great partnership with Itoje in the second row. If he does that, he has a good chance of being a first choice for England.

As a 6, he's competing with a long list of excellent back row players and I'm sure he's that high in the pecking order.

Although, if you want an Exeter style back row for England, I guess he could do the Vermeulen/Kirsten role (that wears 7 for some reason known only to Rob Baxter and the Exeter kit man). Barbeary for the Ewers role?

Yeah, the move to Saints is a bit nothingy for Isiekwe - don't think he'll have gained much from it
Would've been better holding his nose, taking his medicine, and having the season in the championship and establishing a 2nd row partnership with Itoje now that Kruis and Skelton are off the scene

I don't think it's reflected in the stats (which are always fudged anyway) but he looks to have packed on some more muscle and definitely looks physically more like a lock than he did in the past

BPM, Olyy ref Isiekwe.

For me he's definitely a lock who can cover 6 in an emergency or as a horses for courses selection. Fair point that he hasn't been playing lock recently, but he's played there enough and it isn't the Boks he'd be up against in the summer. As Olyy says it looks like he's been hitting the gym recently.

For someone at his career stage I think it was the right thing to stay in the prem. He didn't particularly need the rest and he wouldn't learn anything from a truncated Championship season beating up lesser players. There's also the broadening of horizons which has to be good. The only downside is that he's pretty much played exclusively at 6, although I think that was the intention from outset.

Looks like the 'tour' plans are all in some disarray anyhow......

With Ireland's tour to the PIs maybe not going on again, what's the bet that we end up with another Six Nations Jr. like the Autumn Nations Cup?

The 6N debrief is in, EJ to stay

The panel concluded that while there were a number of contributing factors that led to England's disappointing fifth place ranking in the Guinness Six Nations and the focus will be on addressing these systemic challenges, there were some specific factors that had an influence on the 2021 Guinness Six Nations tournament as follows:
• Coaching – the absence of Jason Ryles and Neil Craig were a significant loss in coaching expertise and team support, this had a significant impact on the wider coaching team. The initial unavailability of Matt Proudfoot and isolation of Eddie Jones also had an affect on the effectiveness of the coaching team.
• Player preparation and availability – several players did not have enough game time going into the Guinness Six Nations. Conversely a wider group were fatigued as a result of being the only country to have back-to-back seasons; resulting in players having no mental break from one season to the next. In addition, a handful of notable players were unavailable.
• Breakdown indiscipline – improvements required including lower body strength and appropriate skill modifications.
• Covid – the necessary stringent protocols, in some cases greater than other Unions, had a significant impact on coaching and support staff as well as the playing squad cohesion.
• Squad transition – the agreed protocols, which the RFU and Eddie were fully supportive of due to Covid challenges, meant fixed squads prevented players coming in and out during the campaign as they would normally.

With the exception of the missing coaches, they're all pretty lame excuses (/"made your own bed" type ones, in the case of playing players who've had no game time)

I don't think our pack upping their squat 1RM would've seen us take home the trophy

Im not bothered if we play the games at home...against Georgia etc...just so that he puts out some of the younger players we've all spoke about.

Give me a North v South England game you cowards.
(By North I mean North and Midlands)

State of Origin selection, 3 matches
I'd also be really keen for some more prem 7's and even a touch tournament.

I've always wanted PRL to come up with a competition during the summer.

Thought something like a
U23 league 20 minutes each half, tries worth 6 points no conversions, no penalty kicks, Drog goals worth 1 in the 22, 2 in between the 22 and halfway and 4 points if over the half way,

uncontested scrums, 3 penalties in your own 22 = automatic card and down a player 5 minutes.

Some **** like that.

Aye, some sort of summer rugby comp would be ace
Focus on tries and skills,

SH players always credit their skill levels to the amount of touch rugby they play on that hemisphere - actual competitive games not just warm ups at training.

Don't the NRL do a 9s comp?
Maybe they could bring Rugby 10s to the limelight - I think 7s is a bit too devolved from the pro game, but 10s would close some of the gaps etc.

Latest posts