• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Summer tours - England

I'd imagine we see a fairly dramatic change between now and the 1st squad for USA/Canada.

You look at players such as Stuart, Thorley, etc - He doesn't need to look at them as he knows them inside out.

This squad has lots of players he's assessing before he brings in undoubtedly brings in players from top 4.
I agree, although I'm not sure Stuart and Thorley are at that point. They've got 11 caps between them and 10 of those are Stuart's.

I'd expect the following to be in contention from the play off sides:

Bristol: Earl, Malins, O'Conor, Randall

Exeter: Devoto, Hepburn, O'Flaherty, J. Simmonds

Harlequins: Dombrandt, Marchant, Northmore, Smith

Sale: Beaumont, B. Curry, Quirke

Probably missing people but those are my immediate thoughts ...

Last edited:
so to be very pessimistic
I look forward to seeing
12 players get injured in this training camp
Kelly, Heyes and Dingwall not getting captured and playing for Ireland, Wales and Scotland next years
And 2 of these uncapped players being on the bench in 2 years time making their debut.

I agree, although I'm not sure Stuart and Thorley are at that point. They've got 11 caps between them and 10 of those are Stuart's.

Harlequins: Marchant, Northmore, Smith

what about Sarries

So from that squad alone (ignoring the top 4 who will come in)

We would have something like:

1 Genge
2 Blamire / Singleton
3 Heyes
4 Ewells
5 Martin
6 Hill
7 Ludlum
8 Chick / Willis

9 Robson
10 Umaga
11 OCH
12 Lawrence
13 Kelly
14 Radwan
15 Steward

So who has missed out?

West - Injury?
Sleightholme - very unfortunate, would have him over cokanasiga and Bassett
Stuart and Dunn? Neither have enough caps to be rested.
Thorley for me needs to find some form, so no issue there.

what about Sarries
Good point ...

I hope we rest Billy. He's not needed and having spent the past few months in the Championship, there really is nothing to justify picking him.

Kpoku maybe? Not sure there's any others to look at with Itoje, Mako and Daly away with the Lions.

So who has missed out?

West - Injury?
Sleightholme - very unfortunate, would have him over cokanasiga and Bassett
Stuart and Dunn? Neither have enough caps to be rested.
Thorley for me needs to find some form, so no issue there.
West has an injury at the moment and being assessed. I imagine West and Barbeary will be assessed over next week or two and then decided upon.

Stuart has to go for me, Dunn maybe but with Barbeary, Blaimore and Capon potentially and being 28 might lose out. Thorley 100% needs some form behind him.

Harlequins: Dombrandt, Marchant, Northmore, Smith

Manu, if he doesn't end up going on Lions? Don't need to see him, but give him a run out to see how he's going? Personally I wouldn't, but this is EJ.
Capon at hooker possibly?

Interesting that Robson is the most capped back with 12 caps. Hell, Cokanasiga is in the top 5 with 9. Very exciting squad, hope we cap plenty of new players who deserve it, especially some who will join later.

Good point ...

I hope we rest Billy. He's not needed and having spent the past few months in the Championship, there really is nothing to justify picking him.

Kpoku maybe? Not sure there's any others to look at with Itoje, Mako and Daly away with the Lions.
Isn't Jones a fan of Crossdale? Tbh I don't think any of Saracens should be involved until the Autumn.

Positions
Loosehead: Genge, Obano, Davison,
Hooker: Blamire, Singleton
Tighthead: Heyes, Hill,
Lock: Ewels, Robinson, Wells, Munga
Blindside: Martin, Hill, Reid
Openside: Underhill, Ludlam, Ludlow,
Number 8: Chick, Willis,

Scrum Half: Spencer, Robson, Mitchell,
Fly Half: Umaga
Inside Centre: Kelly, Ojomah
Outside Centre: Lawrence, Dingwall,
Wing: Bassett, Cokanasiga, Hassell- Collins, Radwan,
Full Back: de Glanville, Parton, Steward,
Thank you - always far more useful to see them broken down by position rather than alphabetical order

FH is also interesting. Suggests there is not much depth outside of Farrell, Ford, Smith, Umaga and Simmonds. I know Jones has suggested Atkinson at FH in the future, but I think that's it.

FH is also interesting. Suggests there is not much depth outside of Farrell, Ford, Smith, Umaga and Simmonds. I know Jones has suggested Atkinson at FH in the future, but I think that's it.
How much depth is wanted outside the top 5?
Most international teams don't have more than 5 clubs to select from

Shame Isiekwe's injured, this would have been a great chance to get back on the radar.

Barbeary has only played twice for Wasps this year. Massively hope I'm wrong but I'm not getting good vibes.

Happy to see T Hill and Lawrence in there from a Worcs POV.

There's a few names I'm completely unsighted on there, mainly in the backs.

When do the Sarries loan players return from their loan clubs?

How much depth is wanted outside the top 5?
Most international teams don't have more than 5 clubs to select from
Meant more across the premiership and less for England. Other positions have some filler players, 10 has none.

Latest posts