• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Summer tours - England

Weeks? Not games?
It's always measured in weeks - just paused over the off-season (with the occasional exception of nailed-on internationals like Dylan Hartley).
I doubt that an exception would be made for a possible-A-team player like Ribbans, but could easily be wrong

Last edited:
It's always measured in weeks - just paused over the off-season (with the occasional exception of nailed-on internationals like Dylan Hartley).
This season it's named specific games, with caveats in case of delays/cancellations due to COVID

From the above PDF:

1. Premiership 20/21 – Bath – 12/06/21
2. Preseason Match – Bedford – 03/09/21
3. Preseason Match – Ospreys – 10/09/21
Any change in these fixtures should be notified to the RFU as soon as the change becomes known. The intention is that the player should be suspended from playing for 3 meaningful matches.

So I'm guessing if he's named in the EPS the preseason games get replaced with the first two England games - considering it's only a three game series I wouldn't be surprised to see him miss out, now.
Shame as he was very likely going to be a starter

It would appear he would have moved had he got an offer from a Welsh region but he never did. Said he still really wants to play for Wales but his decision was made for him by not getting an offer.

At least he's making a lot more money at Wasps so in that sense it's good for him. Same for Reffell, he should stay put and carry on developing at Leicester and then when the time comes he can weigh up his options
Fair enough

Will be interesting to see who the captaincy armband goes to,
Press were saying Sinckler vs Underhill for it, but not sure if that was pure speculation or an educated guess (/something they've been fed?)

I could see Ewells, though - maybe sharing with Ford

Apparently Ford is definitely being rested along with Johnny May.

So new wingers and a new 10. Probably Smith.

So EJ has added Ed Robinson (assistant backs coach at Jersey Reds) as attack coach and Alex Codling (unattached, ex-Ealing coach, and has worked with England u20 and Harlequins in the past) as lineout coach

Robinson was skills coach during the 6N, so obviously passed his trial with flying colours...

Pretty underwhelming, but we'll see how it goes I guess
That about sums it up.

The question is why. Hard to believe that some heavier hitters couldn't have engineered the time off if they'd wanted.

It's not like either are the obvious future.

Exciting day tomorrow, always love a squad announcement particularly when players are away/injured.

May amend but going to go for the following 39.

LHP: Obano, Rodd, Genge (I'd pick West if fit but sounds like his knee is bad)
HK: Capon, Barbeary, Dunn (Dunn has missed two matches already but has a 4wk ban so maybe switched with Langdon/Blamire, hard to pick)
THP: Heyes, Stuart, Williams
Locks: Ewels, Stooke, Isiekwe, Martin, Kpoku
Flankers: Hill, Reffell, Underhill, B Curry
No.8: Dombrandt, T Willis, Earl
SH: Robson, Spencer, Quirke
FH: Smith, Umaga, Atkinson (I KNOW.. Simmonds is better, but i think he prefers Umaga. Might take Atkinson as a experience for the kid)
Centres: Marchant, Lawrence, P O'Connor, Slade, Manu
Wingers: OHC, Sleightholme, Thorley, Nowell, Radwan/Big Joe (can't decide on Big Joe/Radwan)
Fullback: Malins, Steward

Ill have a go :) - 38 man squad (39 if Thorley is fit)

HP: Obano, Rodd, Genge
HK: Capon, Dunn, Mcguigan
THP: Heyes, Stuart, Paul HIll
Locks: Ewels, Isiekwe, Martin, Kpoku, Moon or Robinson
Flankers: Hill, Underhill, B Curry, Barbaery, Earl
No.8: Dombrandt, T Willis, Chick

SH: Robson, Quirke, Randall
FH: Smith, Simmonds, Atkinson
Centres: Marchant, Lawrence, P O'Connor, Slade,
Wingers: OHC, Sleightholme, Radwan, Cockasaniga, (Thorley If Fit)
Fullback: Malins, Steward

The curious one for me is Barbaery...do they select him at hooker or back row...

Do they select him at all until he has settled in a position? Not saying they shouldn't select him btw

A game maybe play him at Hooker.
But no way should he be playing his first top flight game as a hooker with England.

McGuigan is a good choice although i've heard good things about Blamire.

Second Row looks tough as without Ribbans as not many experienced locks available.

Barbeary is difficult as he's had a lot of injuries so needs to be really fit.

Latest posts