• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Summer tours - England

What about picking him because he's the best option there?
Nah, he's not the best option. He's not even the best English based option as that would be Thomas Young who's got to be one of the most unlucky players. Like Reffell though. He's got time on his side unlike Young.

Why would he want to play for England if he is truly welsh?
Realistically he doesn't, but EJ likes to make it known when he's having chats with promising young dual qualified players (same as any other countries press running with stories about players who are eligible) like when he had a chat with Ewan Ashman about playing for England

This is more about Reffell being left out when he's easily the better option at 7 than any player named

Nah, he's not the best option. He's not even the best English based option as that would be Thomas Young who's got to be one of the most unlucky players. Like Reffell though. He's got time on his side unlike Young.
Young is more of a 6.5 these days, Reffell definitely the better pure openside

I feel so sorry for Young. Been so consistent for a good few years now. Just saying he certainly has the edge over Reffell in terms of experience.

listening to Pivac talk about Basham (a player I love) and it's clear how he sees the game moving forward and what he wants from an openside. Which isn't really Reffell. I would've taken Reffell, Basham and Morgan tbh.

Anyway, apologies, don't want to spam up your thread with Wales talk.

I'm on the Tom Willis hype train atm
Aggression seems to run in the family genes.

We have a whole load of talent and some very good players will miss out……it's tough at the top. But with him and Dombrandt coming through very nicely (albeit I read Willis was dropped for lack of form not so long back) there is no reason to retain Binny.

Tell you what our U20's could be extremely good this year since it's six nations you can pick players who are 20 before Jan 1st I think.

9. Quirke
10. Atkinson
11. Hamer-Webb
12. Ojomah
13. Kelly
14. Freeman
15. Steward

21. JVP, 22. F.Smith, 23. Obonna

Tell you what our U20's could be extremely good this year since it's six nations you can pick players who are 20 before Jan 1st I think.

9. Quirke
10. Atkinson
11. Hamer-Webb
12. Ojomah
13. Kelly
14. Freeman
15. Steward

21. JVP, 22. F.Smith, 23. Obonna
Do you know when the under 20 squads are announced? Must be soon. Looking forward to it this year.

Not really sure on how you're defining what a 'pure openside' is but I refute the suggestion that Reffell is the best option for us at 7.

For this series of games, I'd take Ben Curry ahead of him in a heartbeat.

As a like for like jackal (if that's what you mean), I'd have put Will Evans ahead of Reffell too but for his injury.

I'm less hung up on the purity of how the flankers' roles are defined but there are several options I'd prefer to pick ahead of Reffell even if he was English.

Not really sure on how you're defining what a 'pure openside' is but I refute the suggestion that Reffell is the best option for us at 7.

For this series of games, I'd take Ben Curry ahead of him in a heartbeat.

As a like for like jackal (if that's what you mean), I'd have put Will Evans ahead of Reffell too but for his injury.

I'm less hung up on the purity of how the flankers' roles are defined but there are several options I'd prefer to pick ahead of Reffell even if he was English.
To be fair, I think he's saying he's the best option for Wales not England.

Never understood Young not getting more of a look in for Wales.
He's just unlucky that, over the years, we've been so well stocked in the back row. So annoying when you look at the lack of quality/depth we have in other areas that we have a plethora of quality flankers that can't get a look in.

Is there a possibility he was spoken to, but said he had no desire to move to a region once he became ineligible? Is it 5 caps?

Feel stupid, Young actually isn't eligible anymore since he resigned for Wasps last year. He didn't get an offer from a region though and I thought if you had no offer from a region then you could still be eligible even if you resign for a overseas team and have under 60 caps. Must've got that mixed up with something else though as it seems he isn't an option at the moment.

I wonder how long Reffell has left on his contract. Can't be too long. He'll have to make a decision soon.

Is there a possibility he was spoken to, but said he had no desire to move to a region once he became ineligible? Is it 5 caps?
I assume you're talking about Reffell. They must be in contact with him but no idea what was said to him recently, obviously.

I assume you're talking about Reffell. They must be in contact with him but no idea what was said to him recently, obviously.
No, I meant Young. He seems comfortable at Wasps, so possibly he didn't want to have to move to play for Wales. Just wondering though, could be completely wrong.

Feel stupid, Young actually isn't eligible anymore since he resigned for Wasps last year. He didn't get an offer from a region though and I thought if you had no offer from a region then you could still be eligible even if you resign for a overseas team and have under 60 caps. Must've got that mixed up with something else though as it seems he isn't an option at the moment.

I wonder how long Reffell has left on his contract. Can't be too long. He'll have to make a decision soon.

Reffell isn't quick too want to make that jump from what I gather.
He's settled in Leicester.

I doubt he will leave for a region till he gets an idea on what the welsh set up really think about him.
https://www.dai-sport.com/wales-youngster-tommy-reffell-why-i-signed-up-for-leicester-pay-cut/

No, I meant Young. He seems comfortable at Wasps, so possibly he didn't want to have to move to play for Wales. Just wondering though, could be completely wrong.
It would appear he would have moved had he got an offer from a Welsh region but he never did. Said he still really wants to play for Wales but his decision was made for him by not getting an offer.

At least he's making a lot more money at Wasps so in that sense it's good for him. Same for Reffell, he should stay put and carry on developing at Leicester and then when the time comes he can weigh up his options

Latest posts