• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Summer tours - England

My memory may have merged of the two but he's really broken out this season - his turnover stats alone deserve recognition somewhere
The guy's played 80+ first class matches; this is not his breakthrough, or discovery season.
His breakthrough season was 2016/17 when he first racked up 20, albeit mostly from the bench; and was first really talked about as a future international.
Even last year, he played 22 matches.
If Quins reach the final, he can manage a maximum of 19 matches this season.

In no world is someone's breakthrough season 4 years after they first hit 20 appearances in a year; or indeed, the season with only their 3rd highest appearance numbers to date

[source]

Last edited:
Personally as much as i love Alfie, i'd give it to Steward. OHC has been fantastic but Steward has provided such a solid base at 15 for Leicester to play off and i really think he's part of the reason they are further up the table this year.

Having a stable/secure 15 makes such a difference for a team.

Steward for me too,

With my Sale bias glasses on, though, Rodd is definitely up there - went from completely unknown academy player to first choice in the space of a few months

Personally as much as i love Alfie, i'd give it to Steward. OHC has been fantastic but Steward has provided such a solid base at 15 for Leicester to play off and i really think he's part of the reason they are further up the table this year.

Having a stable/secure 15 makes such a difference for a team.
Would you mind cc'ing [email protected]?

Definitely concur with Steward and hope he goes well in the summer.

If you're being literal / pedantic, Barbeary isn't a discovery at all - he's been trailed as the next big thing for years. Definitely a breakthrough season for him although all a bit odd as he hasn't yet even played in his (alleged) preferred position. Just hope his injuries are being properly managed….as far as I can see his current problem is related to his previous one.

am I the only one who just found out that Ed Robinson is andy robinson's son?
Yes.

In other news, Dan Lancaster is Stuart's son.
Rhys Ruddock is Mike's boy.
George Ford is directly related to Mike.
Thomas Young is Dai's kid.

Fair enough, but when he helped during the 6N's it was mentioned he was Andy Robinson's son by most of media.

Just caught the Bath-Northampton game. At fullback I think De Glanville could also make a claim to the position, he's been doing well. I'd till put Steward first but it's nice that we actually have competition in the position and there is now zero excuse to continue using Daly there.

Just caught the Bath-Northampton game. At fullback I think De Glanville could also make a claim to the position, he's been doing well. I'd till put Steward first but it's nice that we actually have competition in the position and there is now zero excuse to continue using Daly there.
Add to that list Tommy freeman 3 young guys who are all stepping up

Agreed. For me, Freeman actually looks the most promising of the young 15s coming through.

Steward is probably the best defensively and under the high ball, but doesn't look anywhere near as confident in attack. Parton, de Glanville and Hodge are the opposite.

Freeman has the best balance. He looks equally good in defence and very good in attack IMO. He's sort of flying under the radar at the moment, but I think he is a great prospect.

Slightly troubling that a 20 year old is having his knees surgically 'shaved' though.

Agreed. For me, Freeman actually looks the most promising of the young 15s coming through.

Steward is probably the best defensively and under the high ball, but doesn't look anywhere near as confident in attack. Parton, de Glanville and Hodge are the opposite.

Freeman has the best balance. He looks equally good in defence and very good in attack IMO. He's sort of flying under the radar at the moment, but I think he is a great prospect.

Slightly troubling that a 20 year old is having his knees surgically 'shaved' though.
The problem he also faces is Furbank and Malinder who are both 15s ahead of him in the squad, both young and both with big ambitions.

I see at least 1 going out that lot.

Any team with him as first choice anything will be the same level as Warriors tbh
That's overly harsh. Great young player with plenty to offer. He's a top performer when fit but really needs to sort his D out which seemed to arise after his shoulder injury. Doesn't seem to want to tackle since then.

I don't want to see him go but think a new environment would do him the world of good. But as we all know, England arnt allowed to cap Gloucester players so better off at Warriors or maybe wasps as they live some good attack with poor defence.

Latest posts