• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 14 expanding to LA

Oh blah blah blah. All players in rugby are falling apart from exhaustion, it isn't just a SH phenomenon and if you think that, then that kind of explains the arrogance towards any kind of NH player, doesn't it?

I'd rather turn down the idea on the basis of ability or funding, rather than a totally pussy explaination about "jetlag". TRY HARDER!
[/b]

What arrogance? You may be mistaking arrogance for the truth :D . You obviously have never had to travel for 20+ hours all the while not able to move freely

Oh blah blah blah. All players in rugby are falling apart from exhaustion, it isn't just a SH phenomenon and if you think that, then that kind of explains the arrogance towards any kind of NH player, doesn't it?
[/b]

I will happily concede the point that European teams also suffer and are falling apart from exhaustion from traveling from country to country.

Therefore proposing an additional trip to the United States would probably be laughed at by most Northern Hemisphere teams. BUT, think about the logistics involved. If this team was incorporated into the S14, teams would be traveling from the Southern Hemisphere to the Northern Hemisphere and across the globe.

Why not rather incorporate teams from the States into the Magners league or Guinness Premiership? At least then the bulk of the season would fall under the same time period.

There is no arrogance towards any kind of NH player, the fact of the matter is that players are going to start burning out if the schedules get any more hectic than they already are.

Introducing a fixture in the States for a Super 14 team may allow for the already established S14 teams to field a secondary team - to start off with anyway - but ultimately it will be too much to cope with in the long run.

I would agree on an American league in which Argentina Canada and America can play their club rugby against one another. Considering most of the Argentinean international players are playing in Europe, their would be a similar base skill level across all clubs and it would be a great opportunity to build up from grass root levels.

Considering that there was going to be a "Rainbow Cup" between the Magners League and South African teams a few years back I have absolutely no sympathy.

So, nyah! :p

USA wants super 14 team
Argentina wants a super 14 team
Pacific islands want a super 14
northern hemisphere players wanting to play super 13
the only pepople not wanting to play super 14 are the supr 14 players themselves??

<div class='quotemain'>
northern hemisphere players wanting to play super 13
[/b]

Am I the only person to who that makes absolutely no sense? :huh:
[/b][/quote]
I think it means that players eg. Michelak want to play in the Super 14 but obviously they prefer to not play in one of the teams (the way it is going, probably the Highlanders) hence Super 13....or he screwed up the numbers...

I wouldn't really count Michelak as representing all players in the NH personally. Couldn't have Super 13 anyway, imagine the breakdowns of all those superstitious people out there.

Michalak wanted to play for a NZ team but that's (almost) impossible, plus a lot of french players have already played in SA so there's a little bit of a connection there...

I think a Southern Hem comp is coming..its only a matter of time. I would like to see the Pac Islanders be allow to play for any team in the Super 14. In time, travel will be even easier than it is now and I think a expanded Super 14 to Argentina and US and Canada is the way to go. As with everything is always about cash, so we will see.

But will adding a team from the pacific island really be better for the game and its future? Or are we just caving to political pressure. I truly believe that Pacific Island residents have a better chance at playing Super 14 than most other nations. However, I must say it is not perfect but with continuing work it will get better.

For rugby to become the number 1 sport, action like this (article related) is what should happen, this is looking to the future not for today.

"How is it difficult for them to play in NZ?"

Well you have to prove that there is no better NZ player than the foreigner you want to hire. Doesn't make it easy...

They're also talking about a S14 team from Japan that would be made up of Aussies & Japanese players...

It's all well and good 'talking' about expanding the S14 but I just don't see the States or Japan as realistic contenders to be honest.

Itd be good for the Americans to get regular competition against quality sides but itd be hell trying to organise a franchise in LA.

They're also talking about a S14 team from Japan that would be made up of Aussies & Japanese players...
[/b]

THE-BEHEADING.jpg

Well our two nations have been extremely understanding of each other; engendering a relationship of mutual respect, happiness and manlove. The idea's a winnar :p

Oh yes, right, posting pictures of the horrors of the POW camps is REALLY an accurate and telling portrayal of the current Japanese generation :p

S14 in hollywood.....pfffhhhffhfhhfh! (drink sprays all over monitor)

Japan would be better they already have the Top League (semi-pro/pro league) that could supplement such a franchise with an already established fan base and player pool - plus a huge sports market and population.

For the South Africans teams it would be grueling to fly on the opposite part of the planet to play.

And is the USA "indigenous" rugby movement ready to create a franchise? A team completely made of foreign players wouldn't probably attract much attention on the sport....

Latest posts