• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Chiefs vs Highlanders. Waikato Stadium (25/2/2012, 06:35 GMT)

[h=1]Rugby: Haskell and Ellison start for Highlanders[/h]Home » Sport » Rugby
Fri, 24 Feb 2012 Highlanders | Rugby

<!-- google_ad_section_start --><!--paging_filter-->Highlanders coach Jamie Joseph has wasted no time rushing reinforcements James Haskell and Tamati Ellison into action. Both players, who have just arrived from Japan, are in the squad to play the Chiefs tomorrow night.
Ellison starts at centre, and Haskell is on the bench.
Highlanders: Jamie Mackintosh (captain), Andrew Hore, Chris King, Josh Bekhuis, Nick Crosswell, Adam Thomson, John Hardie, Nasi Manu, Jimmy Cowan, Chris Noakes, Hosea Gear, Phil Burleigh, Tamati Ellison, Buxton Popoali'i, Ben Smith. Reserves: Jason Rutledge, Bronson Murray, Culum Retallick, James Haskell, Aaron Smith, Lima Sopoaga, Kurt Baker.

Feeling a bit better now, smith where he should be and the midfield looking slightly more "normal", even better this means the bench can actually provide something late in the piece with Baker, a smith, rutledge and haskell all capable of turning a game</SPAN>

Wow, with that long list of injuries, the Highlanders dont look too bad at all. Possible impact players being, Hore, Thomson, Manu, Cowan, Gear, Popoali'i and BIG BAD BEN SMITH!..

Rugby: Haskell and Ellison start for Highlanders

Home » Sport » Rugby
Fri, 24 Feb 2012 Highlanders | Rugby

<!-- google_ad_section_start --><!--paging_filter-->Highlanders coach Jamie Joseph has wasted no time rushing reinforcements James Haskell and Tamati Ellison into action. Both players, who have just arrived from Japan, are in the squad to play the Chiefs tomorrow night.
Ellison starts at centre, and Haskell is on the bench.
Highlanders: Jamie Mackintosh (captain), Andrew Hore, Chris King, Josh Bekhuis, Nick Crosswell, Adam Thomson, John Hardie, Nasi Manu, Jimmy Cowan, Chris Noakes, Hosea Gear, Phil Burleigh, Tamati Ellison, Buxton Popoali'i, Ben Smith. Reserves: Jason Rutledge, Bronson Murray, Culum Retallick, James Haskell, Aaron Smith, Lima Sopoaga, Kurt Baker.

Feeling a bit better now, smith where he should be and the midfield looking slightly more "normal", even better this means the bench can actually provide something late in the piece with Baker, a smith, rutledge and haskell all capable of turning a game

Wow, a couple of interesting selection there! Great that Chris King is back from injury - he's not outstanding, but he is generally pretty solid at this level. Good to see Haskell on the bench too. Like you I'm happy to see Ben Smith at fullback. Slightly surprised to see Noakes starting at 10. I have no doubt he has the talent to play at this level, he just never seems to deliver on his talent. At least he is a very reliable goal-kicker (which is more than I can say for Sopoaga). The midfield may be a bit weak, but there is some serious fire-power out wide!

Unfortunately (as a supporter of the Mighty Highlanders) I think the Chiefs deserve to go into this game as favourites. I think the Highlanders may have a slight edge in the front row, with Andrew Hore the key. MackIntosh can be found out against quality scrummagers, but I don't think the Chiefs have the props to exploit his weakness (Afeaki is solid, but improving, while Taumalolo has his moments). Both teams have quality hookers on the bench (Rutledge and Schwalger) while the Chiefs do have the advantage of having a quality prop like Toby Smith on the bench too. Locks look evenly matched to me. It will be interesting to see how Crosswell goes at lock (given he's usually a 6) - he used to play there at age-grade level, and given his hard-working style of play his long-term future may well lie at lock. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing how young Brodie Retallick goes for the Chiefs, as he is someone with immense potential.

The loose-forward battle looks particularly intriguing to me. Messem and Thomson, two of the best loose-forwards in the entire competition last season, face-off at 6. Despite his young age I expect Cane to have a slight edge over Hardie at 7, while Manu v Lee at 8 should also be a great battle. Where the Highlanders do have a slight edge is on the bench, where Haskell could make a big impact when he comes on. All in all I think the forward packs are pretty evenly matched, but if anything the Highlanders may have a very slight edge in the forwards.

The backs, however, are a very different story. Cowan v Leonard should be a good match-up - however if Cowan plays like he did during the RWC the Highlanders will be in trouble! The two backup 9's (Kerr-Barlow and Smith) could both make a big impact when they come on too. Cruden is a far superior player to Noakes, while the midfield combo of SBW and Kahui could absolutely destroy the Highlanders if they get some clean ball. The Highlanders do match-up pretty well out-wide though. Gear, Popoali'i, Masaga, and Nanai-Williams are four of the most dangerous backs in NZ rugby (indeed in world rugby), even if Nanai-Williams is out of position. None of them are noted defenders however, so if any of them get the ball in space they could cause a lot of damage. With Ben Smith back at fullback the Highlanders have a massive advantage here - I expect the Highlanders may be sending a few high balls Robinson's way!

Overall I'm picking the Chiefs huge advantage in the backs to overcome any (slight) advantage the Highlanders may have in the forwards, so am picking them to win by 5-10 points (but hopefully I am wrong!).

Last edited:
very surprised to see Cane ahead of Latimer and/or waldrum and Taumalolo ahead of Toby Smith

it just may be that one of both latimer and Smith are not 100%

stab in the dark I'd say maybe Toby Smith is not 100% or has a ****le and maybe they want to keep lat's on the bench to replace Messam he is also under an injury cloud.

well I called it

"Sona Taumalolo has been given the starting role at loosehead prop ahead of Toby Smith, who took a knock in last Friday's final pre-season match against the Hurricanes"

"we're not sure Liam's calf will last 80 minutes. It will be good to have someone of Lats' experience coming on later in the game, especially if a couple of the leaders are off."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/6473101/Towering-Retallick-the-man-for-imposing-task

I think people underrate Latimer, I'm not his biggest fan but he's a class player and one of the hardest workers in the squad. I get the impression that he is one of the "standard setters" when it comes to training and work ethic.

well I called it

"Sona Taumalolo has been given the starting role at loosehead prop ahead of Toby Smith, who took a knock in last Friday's final pre-season match against the Hurricanes"

"we're not sure Liam's calf will last 80 minutes. It will be good to have someone of Lats' experience coming on later in the game, especially if a couple of the leaders are off."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/6473101/Towering-Retallick-the-man-for-imposing-task

I think people underrate Latimer, I'm not his biggest fan but he's a class player and one of the hardest workers in the squad. I get the impression that he is one of the "standard setters" when it comes to training and work ethic.

While I agree Latimer is a good player, and is under-rated by many (much like George Whitelock), I simply think that Cane and Waldrom are better openside flankers than Latimer. If Latimer came down to the Highlanders though I'd happily give him the starting 7 jersey ahead of Hardie and Tiejtens.....:) If I was picking the Chiefs loose-forward trio I would go with Messem/Waldrom/Lee, with Cane on the bench (though can see the attraction of a Latimer/Waldrom/Messem trio...).

Last edited:
Kade Poki is injured (knee I think). Piutau (who filled in well on the wing last season) is also out after ankle surgery (probably for another 2 months). Luckily Gear is fit, and it will be between Veainu, Popoali'i and possibly Ellison to partner him on the wing. Popoali'i is quite similar to Kade Poki - very short (shorter even the Poki) but incredibly elusive. He's wouldn't be as strong as Poki (who is very strong considering his size), but he probably has an even better step, and would be quicker too...

Tx. Will keep an eye out for whoever fills his place. Pity, I liked watching Poki do his thing last year and he was the first guy I bought for Fox Sports' fantasy rugby LOL (along with Bekker, Messam and SBW)

Chiefs will take this one, but probably not as easy as most people think. SBW/Kahui looks great, but I first have to see how Sonny Bill fits in this team. Sure thing, he can't be tired from this Tillman III. NZ's sure not a boxing country ;-)

What is SBW on? He is running hard and straight. I don't like it (this week...).

The hell was Cowan thinking??
Try for Masaga, 10-6 Chiefs.

He saw the 4-0 overlap... unfourtunately it was for the Chiefs....

EDIT: Geez there have been a lot of turnovers so far...

Last edited:
Some vision alright!
Popoali'i very lively, coming in on both wings. Highlanders are making decent ground but just giving it away through small mistakes.

Need someone to straighten it up a bit (Gear?)... we are playing a bit laterally.

Very scrappy game so far...

Last edited:
Yeah, with the Highlander's midfield injuries, they should at least attempt to bring Gear in straight and fast off Noakes' shoulder (who hasn't been bad thus far, better than Sopoaga's debut at least).
Highlanders playing most of the rugby now, but again losing the ball at critical moments.

Happy with Noakes so far... he's even getting his kicks at goals (unusual for a Highlanders goal-kicker!)

Yeah, a little scrappy in some parts, but certainly the most enjoyable match of the season yet.
13-9 to the Chiefs.

16-9 now. Chiefs haven't had many chances, but look very dangerous when they do get the ball...

Opinions on the ref?

I don't think he has put a foot wrong, accomplished performance by Mr White for me.

I genuinely don't get Cowan sometimes, he and Weepu look like they are giving Andy Ellis a shot for the AB 9 shirt.

Was going to mention the ref. Can't complain, he has called a pretty fair match and let the sides play. Could have done with his in Auckland yesterday.

Good game so far scrappy as has being said. The Chiefs 10-12-13 look real good.

Latest posts